Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
I have no idea. It just came to me, "Marzipan Jones." And then I found out that there's a character in a newish subpar mystery novel with that name. Call it collective unconscious.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Inspector Frank Bumstead is a character from my favorite movie, "Dark City". William Hurt plays a archetypal noir detective investigating a series of prostitute murders in a 1940's-ish city where everything and everyone seems just a little bit... strange. During the course of his investigation he talks to a doctor who - despite having never met him before - possesses surprising insights into his personality. This is where my signature line comes from.

cromcruiach

New in Town
"Cromcruiach" is the approximate spelling of the gaelic term meaning "crooked mountain." It's thought that thirties pulp writer Robert E. Howard (that's him to the left) used the term to name the god (Crom) of his character, Conan. Conan, of course, was subsequently screwed-up, dumbed-down, and ripped-off in a series of horrible pastiches and movies in the seventies and eighties.

I started using the screen name for various boards on a whim a decade ago, never realizing I'd give such a convoluted explanation as to why.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
cromcruiach said:
"Cromcruiach" is the approximate spelling of the gaelic term meaning "crooked mountain." It's thought that thirties pulp writer Robert E. Howard (that's him to the left) used the term to name the god (Crom) of his character, Conan. Conan, of course, was subsequently screwed-up, dumbed-down, and ripped-off in a series of horrible pastiches and movies in the seventies and eighties.

I started using the screen name for various boards on a whim a decade ago, never realizing I'd give such a convoluted explanation as to why.

I believe the translation is "Bent or Bowing" stone or mountain. It was the name of a "menhir", or standing stone, that Padraig pulled down (along with many others) as a missionary in Eire. Stone always represents the eternal nature of Deity.

cromcruiach

New in Town
Subvet642 said:
I believe the translation is "Bent or Bowing" stone or mountain. It was the name of a "menhir", or standing stone, that Padraig pulled down (along with many others) as a missionary in Eire. Stone always represents the eternal nature of Deity.

I think I've come across an Irishman from Boston! Actually, thanks for the further info Subvet. It led me to investigate the term further myself and what I've learned is that Robert E. Howard himself was really "spot on" trying to intermingle legend and fiction. By the way Subvet, you wouldn't happen to be a Pogues fan would you? I saw them two years ago in Boston at the Avalon, right over the Green Monster. Greatest show I ever saw.

Subvet642

A-List Customer
cromcruiach said:
I think I've come across an Irishman from Boston! Actually, thanks for the further info Subvet. It led me to investigate the term further myself and what I've learned is that Robert E. Howard himself was really "spot on" trying to intermingle legend and fiction. By the way Subvet, you wouldn't happen to be a Pogues fan would you? I saw them two years ago in Boston at the Avalon, right over the Green Monster. Greatest show I ever saw.

:eek:fftopic:
Go figure! lol Actually I'm 3rd generation (I think!) Irish-American. My knowlege of Celtic lore is a result of my studies as a Druid of OBOD. On a forum like this I typically wouldn't get into it, but seeing your screen name, I couldn't resist. shhhhhhhh As I'm 45 years old (och!), I'm still listening to the "dinosaur rock" I grew up with, but I do like the Dropkicks, though. And of course I'm a baseball junkie and Huge Sox fan! Feel free to shoot me a private message if there are any questions I can answer for you.

arthur

Suspended
my birth certificate:p uhoh somebodies hittin the bourbon{Arthur points to left field,he knows exactly where this evening is going to end up}

sirnerd

New in Town
Lower case "s" in SIR because I havn't earned a knighthood. Lower case "n" in NERD because I'm not as bright as a real Nerd. But I've always like nerdy things; don't feel dressed without at least a pocket slide rule, built my first computer in '57 at age 12 .......

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
B. F. Socaspi is my pen name, because it's hard to get published at my age.

Socaspi is verlan (a form of French slang) for Picasso. B.F. are my first two initials.

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
I look out on to a hill called the Longmynd.when joining E Bay many years ago Longmynd was taken so i choose mediummynd which i now use for any forms i use I have even registered the name in the UK.

Emer

One of the Regulars
Nickname

Emer is a nickname derived from "Amber" (my real first name). But growing up, cousins and children seemed to butcher my name and Emer has stuck for quiet some years now.

Kishtu

Practically Family
My babyboy (the ugliest squintiest black cat in creation) was called Christian Whitby.
I'm also called Christian so I'm Kish 2.

(NB Christian is a perfectly *good* girl's name, Gavin Maxwell's sister was called Christian...)

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Rather dull for me, it's just my initials.
I never get to use the "III" part anywhere. I should have been an attorney because that would look good on business cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran