Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where did your user name come from??

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
I had a bet going with a friend from high school that she would never get married. The bet was if she did I would wear a kilt to her wedding. Lo and Behold 4 years out of college she is getting married. So I got myself a kilt ... no Scot in this fellow ... Welsh/Cornish and perhaps Irish but no Scot. I have the distinction of being a lording bore so figured ... Lord Douglas or Laird Douglas it would be.
;)

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
When one joins the Fedora Lounge one has to have a username... I couldn't really think of anything to be honest. My name Amanda is a nice name but I wanted something different - so with allot of ummmmming and ahhhhhhing I chose a character from my favourite movie at the time (it is forever changing from one minute to the next) - but at the time it was the 1943 british film 'Millions Like Us'. And seeing I like the actress Patricia Roc, I chose her character Celia Crowson.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I love to sing the standards...

and have sung a few songs for the dancers at the place we have gone Ballroom dancing since Dec 1991. After telling a Pastor about my first singing experience there he said to me saying "congratulations on your new career as a chanteuse!" so it stuck...

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Matt Crunk is my REAL given name. Actually it's William Matthew, but I've always gone by Matt. William is after my father, who went by Bill, and Matthew is after Marshal Matt (Matthew) Dillon on Gunsmoke, because my mother was a huge fan of the TV show.

Crunk is a variation/derivative of the original English surname Crank.

I've been CRUNK for 43 years.

Well, I use this username on a few forums. And it's pretty self-explanatory. My name's Tom and I dig Atomic Era goodies.

You also may see me around as Captain Pabst, or Pimpin Pompadour.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
GranadaGuy617

Well, I volunteer at an Art Deco Theater in Ontario, California named the Granada its one of the real pushes for me to get into vintage. Not the most original user name, but it works 6/17 is my birthdate also. Most people call me Dylan and if you reenact WWII its Almond or Almond Joy (last name is Almendral)

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Finally, a good excuse!

I began to look seriously at the 1930s because of my interest in early Skeet shooting, a shotgun target game introduced nationally in the late 1920s: during the '30s its popularity grew tremendously. It is still popular today, but shot under very different rules (sadly, IMHO). I shoot in vintage clothes and with proper gun and accessories.

Some of the best sources of information regarding the game at this period are the WINCHESTER SKEET BOOKs, annual paperback booklets published by you-know-who in an effort--very successful!--to popularize the new sport. In the 1934 edition there's THIS:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/SkeetBolton1934

You'll notice that the original "Skeet" has SKEET BOLTON gold-embossed on his shell pouch...I've got a repro of that shell pouch...but have never QUITE been able to bring myself around to doing the same; when Skeet (the game) was young, and Mr. Bolton one of the few Skeet cranks in a sea of Trapshooters....his nickname made sense. Now that Skeet (the game) is well established, being "Skeet" (the shooter) in a club full of OTHER Skeet shooters is....sort of silly. And giving yourself a nickname is...sort of silly, as well.

But here--where almost everybody chooses to give themselves a nickname--I have a place to honor Mr. Bolton and finally be "Skeet" McDermott. I know I'm not the only Skeet shooter here...but, just like in the 1930s, I'm one of the few...

"Skeet" a.k.a. Kevin McDermott

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Back in 2000, I was in a bar ('pub' for you east-of-the-pond-doods). On this particular occasion, there was karaoke, and I was there with my summer camp 'associates,' doing what comes naturally in a bar with the opportunity to sing just about any song you want into a live microphone.

At the camp, I still supervise the rock climbing area, and had been doing so for 5 years prior to the occasion in this story.

I sang Cult of Personality (Living Colour), and when I was done, one of my buds yelled out, amongst the applause, 'Scotty Rocks!', a perfect mix of my job at camp and my job on the song. The name stuck.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Fancy gloves though, wears old Macheath...

From the song Mack the Knife, originally from Weill and Brecht's, The Threepenny Opera, it became the most "standard" song of the standard era---that is, pretty much everyone had a version of it.

Significant for me because my interest in the golden era started with pop standards and vocal jazz.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Mine is easy. I live in Gallatin, Tennessee and am one of the few people who is seen around town in traditional men's hats. I am often pointed out on the street by people who say, "You're the Gallatin Hat Man." So, I thought I really would be.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I read a short story where, at the end, the main character takes "Sertsa" as his name, because--according to the story--it's the Russian word for "soul."

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
I wear fedora hats and im of spanish descent. Thats why i made my name. It was supposed to be "Fedored Spaniard", but it had too many letters for the website.

Professor

A-List Customer
My name...

My chums often call me "professor", or alternatively "doctor", in reference to my wild array of interests, vast collection of books, knack for knowing random facts, studious nature and/or my (unfortunate) habit of talking to others as if they were students. :eek:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't remember if I posted in this thread, but if I did it was years ago.

The name comes from being one of my favorite flowers AND a girls' name of the Golden Era that you don't hear anymore. My own name doesn't really have a vintage feel, though my nickname does sort of. If I was picking a new FL name I'd probably go by my real-life nickname (Josie) but I've been here so long I'd feel silly starting over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran