Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to find other retro singles?

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
airgrabber666 said:
Hello all,
I am recently single (rather sadly and suddenly, actually) and it happens that my ex was certainly anti-retro everything. It was something that was difficult to overcome, considering how passionately old school I am.

Have any loungers had experience successfully meeting other folks with the same "vintage" interests and tastes as yourselves? I would appreciate any feedback you could share with me.

I hope this is the correct forum in which to post this.

Regards,
Scott

I am sure someone has already suggested this, but try swing dancing.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Be an extra! Cheapest one-stop-date ever!
Even if they're not strictly "retro," if you're on a period piece, you can always pretend. Plus, free meals, so you don't even have to buy them dinner!

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Its the same thing over here in Cali, All The Women AND I MEAN ALL even the WACS and Nurses are all married, with, or in some way with Krauts! Always! And even the Germans have their own nurses...but I guess girls love the bad guys...

Miss Ritz said:
Diamondback said:
Let's see: museums, the library, bookstores, miniatures dealers building up my collection of teaching-tools for when I go for my history professorship, out on the pistol-range honing my skill in defending myself and those around me... (Sorry, that particular function is an integral part of, even the key to, who I am...:eek: On the upside, it means no harm's gonna come to ya on my watch if I got anything to say about it. Which is a good thing, right?) Any of you ladies into WWII or Civil War reenacting?;)

Haha... funny you mention WWII reenacting-- I've been trying to find a group in my part of the world, and when I finally found one, I had one of the Nazi's start hitting on me. A lot. To the point where I could no longer be flattered, just kinda creeped out by the whole thing.
The search for another 40's reenactment group continues... [huh]

Well for me...and my... wanna -be- semi-vintageness. Being involved in the the Granada has sure helped me out. I am out in the lobby ushering people into seats. Answering questions. Its necessary that you joke around with the guests, make them feel welcomed and at home. Doing rounds to make sure no one snuck up to the balcony for some nooky (thankfully I haven't walked in on anyone ...yet.) If I'm not inside I'm under the Marquee with other vintage dressed personnel, and the looks e get from passersby in cars, lol one time we got cat calls from 5 girls... (they mighta been drunk tho). You would be surprised how many young, single girls go for these old films! Its not a meat market either...its not like the Facebook chatrooms either thankfully. Try and find a vintage candy shop in your area also, theres one 2 blocks away from where I work and there are ALWAYS ALWAYS girls in there after school, either shopping there or working there. My 2 cents. Location, Location, Location! Works every time, (just about).

I wish we had something like that around here. I'm old fashioned and not looking to 'troll around' I'm just looking to meet a nice girl, court for awhile, and settle down. All this dating and meeting new people all the time gets tiring. I like dependability and routine I guess.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:
I wish we had something like that around here. I'm old fashioned and not looking to 'troll around' I'm just looking to meet a nice girl, court for awhile, and settle down. All this dating and meeting new people all the time gets tiring. I like dependability and routine I guess.

i agree, there is the belief that when your least looking for love it turndsup....im putting my faith in this nowadays..:) ive seen the results sme of my female friends dating have had when they are "desperate" for a partner!:eusa_doh:

tempestbella42 said:
i agree, there is the belief that when your least looking for love it turndsup....im putting my faith in this nowadays..:) ive seen the results sme of my female friends dating have had when they are "desperate" for a partner!:eusa_doh:

I hope there's truth behind this. My best friend is a real ladies' man. The women-folk are always all over him and calling him and what-not. Usually the only way I get a girl is one of his turn-downs. But I dunno, I'm not into modern gals very much. I'm looking for a nice vintage gal now. Maybe that's a bit picky.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
ClaraB said:
Yes, swing dancing has been a popular suggestion and seeing that it is such, perhaps I should try it out. :)

In just about any area I have been, swing dancing attracts very few vintage enthusiasts. It is now considered by many, a fairly modern dance. But worth a shot, i guess.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I hope there's truth behind this. My best friend is a real ladies' man. The women-folk are always all over him and calling him and what-not. Usually the only way I get a girl is one of his turn-downs. But I dunno, I'm not into modern gals very much. I'm looking for a nice vintage gal now. Maybe that's a bit picky.
You'll be surprised who your friends can introduce you to, at least I was. Ask them if they know anyone like you.

lady eel

New in Town
How about flea markets, antique shops and vintage clothing shops. I sell at a flea market and see lots of cute vintage loving guys (and even more gals for the gents)
If only I wasn't so shy....

You may also pick up some good finds, bonus!

avedwards said:
You'll be surprised who your friends can introduce you to, at least I was. Ask them if they know anyone like you.

Lord have I tried! I've been barking up that tree for four years. And all my friends pick on me and tell me to go hit up the retirees since they're the only ones that will understand my interests. (And because they always come talk to me since I'm such a nice, clean cut, young man as they put it)

I also get the business for always paying a nice greeting to the lovely young ladies at the antique stores, which have become few and far between. It's hard to find vintage young ladies in Rural Wisconsin I have found!

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
I've been having pretty good luck meeting people in bars lately, mostly because I have stopped going to college bars. Nothing serious has come of it but I don't think that is what I am after so soon after the demise of my last relationship. I'm pretty proud of myself as I've been able to carry on somewhat intelligent conversations with men and in some cases even initiated these conversations, a big step for an introvert like me. Often though, when I am out, I am approached by men who use my vintage look for an ice breaker. Problem is, I always get a complement followed by "I'm not hitting on you". Bah, what the heck is that supposed to mean?

irb

Familiar Face
ClaraB said:
... Problem is, I always get a complement followed by "I'm not hitting on you". Bah, what the heck is that supposed to mean?

When I was younger I thought that was a fine thing to say to a lady; to me it meant, "I am hitting on you but that doesn't mean I'm not sincere when I say ..."

Now however, being in a relationship, I don't have the same opportunities to make a fool of myself in quite the same way. heh.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
lady eel said:
How about flea markets, antique shops and vintage clothing shops. I sell at a flea market and see lots of cute vintage loving guys (and even more gals for the gents)
If only I wasn't so shy....

You may also pick up some good finds, bonus!

*gets out fountain pen and note pad* And where is this flea market that you sell at lady eel?

ClaraB said:
Often though, when I am out, I am approached by men who use my vintage look for an ice breaker. Problem is, I always get a complement followed by "I'm not hitting on you". Bah, what the heck is that supposed to mean?
It means the guy needs some encouragement, in the words of the NSA in The Hunt For Red October, to "dispense with the bull." lol ;) By which I mean, he's hitting on you (for better or worse, it what comes naturally to guys :eek: ), he knows it, probably you know it, it's one of those "don't pee down my back and try to tell me it's raining" kinda things--sorta like when a gal ditches a guy but tells him "but I still want you as a friend" except at the opposite end of things and with the opposite goal in mind.

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - James Bond - Astronaut?
via FoxyTunes

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
It means the guy needs some encouragement, in the words of the NSA in The Hunt For Red October, to "dispense with the bull." lol ;)

----------------
Now playing: John Barry - James Bond - Astronaut?
via FoxyTunes

HAHA! I like your logic DB. He is right tho when I guy says thats its a fail safe, so it wont be as bad when he gets shot down. Its like some type of psychological body armor. Based off fear of being shot down.

Which is part of why, if I can ever piece my nerves back together enough to get back in the game, my preferred gambit would be to let my eye wander over any reading material with her, do a quick search of my own memory for related subjects, then follow up with "I see you're interested in architecture--I used to be a student in it myself--interested in discussing it over a drink or a meal?"

Rule Number One of diplomacy applies here: "First, find common ground." But hopefully this never needs Rule Number Two: "If all else fails, make nice 'til your sniper has the range.":eek: lol

It's also setting himself up for a fall, it projects an undercurrent of not wanting the shot and possibly not even thinking he deserves it, and thus self-sabotaging--someone I place great value in their read on things who was in a similar situation once told me that things tend to hurt less when self-inflicted.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Jungle Chase
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner