Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your muse?

$ally

One Too Many
Who sparks your creativity?

My bassist and I have been mutually inspiring each other lately. We've known each other over 7 years. He had a dream that he & I were practicing a piece we wrote, remembered it when he woke up, then jotted it down. At 6am to have a melody in your head! The lyrics have been pouring out of me. We are radiating music, baby.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
A woman I met at an online writers group. We've never met in real life but her online encouragement and example have really inspired me to write and draw more in the past couple of months. I'm reading/commenting on her novel right now and, mark my words, this one's going to be published.

$ally

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
A woman I met at an online writers group. We've never met in real life but her online encouragement and example have really inspired me to write and draw more in the past couple of months. I'm reading/commenting on her novel right now and, mark my words, this one's going to be published.

What kind of writing do you do?
Any hints on her novels plot?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I had a musician friend who I had admired since I was 14. She used to be my muse but she turned out to be evil. I don't sing much anymore and my guitars are gathering dust. I guess I'll have to be my own muse.

Foofoogal

Banned
Just about any little child will inspire me to keep putting one foot in front of the other to create and work to help give them a better world. Especially seeing one dance.

$ally

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
I had a musician friend who I had admired since I was 14. She used to be my muse but she turned out to be evil. I don't sing much anymore and my guitars are gathering dust. I guess I'll have to be my own muse.
Yes, someone can have the opposite effect too. I don't know the antonym for muse.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My biggest muse would probably have to be my best friend, Amanda. I've been photographing her since 7th grade and she's still one of my favorite subjects. Family and friends inspire me a ton, but I'd have to say the most significant inspiration for me during the past few years has been Los Angeles. It is one of the most inspirational places I've lived in in regards to my photography.

The sunlight in LA is just so unique and perfect, it's really shaped my palette and sense of lighting.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
sweetfrancaise said:
Anyone who says "No, that can't be done."

lol You're like me.

My freshman year of high school, my (male) Algebra teacher kept saying girls couldn't do math. I worked so hard that the next year I landed in the Advanced Geometry course. ;)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Oh gosh. It really depends. Other writers. My husband. Nature. A good book. My faith. My daughter.

So yeah, maybe my muse is "life," too. :)

pgoat

One Too Many
Guitar geek alert...proceed with caution!

Good thread, $ally.

For me it would be Duane Allman when I was younger, and John McGlaughlin over the past 20 years or so. I am not a tremendous fan of their music, but they seem like such positive forces, completely dedicated to making music for all the best reasons, and really inspiring people. There are lots of other musicans I like better, and certainly other artists whoes albums I prefer to listen to, but when I read an interview or see what those two accomplished with their heads on straight, it makes me want to take the guitar out of the case and do something useful with myself.

Aside from the music thing, anyone who makes the effort to do something positive and constructive. In the last few weeks for me, it's been Chrisse Hynde speaking out against Carriage Horses in NYC, the seeing eye dogs doing their work with quiet dignity amidst the nasty hustle and bustle of 23rd street outside the Institute for the Blind I pass each day on the way to work, and a close friend and her husband who are tremendously good parents despite great odds (one of their 6 children has a serious illness). Also Sheldon Brown - anyone who is serious about riding a bike will know who he is - who sadly passed away this week after a battle with MS.

$ally

One Too Many
I feel my muse fanning the blazing fire that is my imagination again. I can't believe how much I've accomplished artistically in past two months. It's been post-eclipse madness lately and I love it.

pgoat

One Too Many
That's so cool, $ally! Is this musically you are speaking of?

I am trying to get myself jump started....played gtr for an hour the other day and am in pain today ('whut a drag it is, gettin' ollldd....."). But I think I feel a spark there....we shall see......

$ally

One Too Many
pgoat said:
That's so cool, $ally! Is this musically you are speaking of?
I am trying to get myself jump started....played gtr for an hour the other day and am in pain today ('whut a drag it is, gettin' ollldd....."). But I think I feel a spark there....we shall see......
Music and lyrics.
I know exactly how you feel. I'm so rusty that it is rather frustrating sometimes. I was in a rut, but now I don't even have to try. The ideas just come to us seemingly out of nowhere. Hopefully the rest of the world will feel it's a magical collaboration also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy