Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who watches the WATCHMEN?

Edward

Bartender
Interesting review, Doctor.... I'm glad that one of the things they have put back in is Hollis' death; I was disappointed they excluded it from the theatrical release. Sounds as if there wasn't any footage on the genesis of Rorschach's 'face', then? That's a pity, as it's such a big part of the character. Wonder why they chose to leave it out? I suppose on screen and in motion we can clearly see that it is intended to change the shape of the black splotches, so the exposition isn't needed to clarify that it isn't poor continuity on the part of the artist, but still....

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Nope, nothing more about the origin of his face or how it changes. He does get some cool additional dialogue, though.

(For example, the scene were he extracts information about Pyramid from the guy in the bar is extended to show Nite Owl taking out his rage against a Knot Top who happens to be there after finding out about Hollis' murder. Rorschach actually stops him from beating the guy to a pulp, telling him, "Not in front of the civilians, Daniel.")

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it. Cinematically speaking, the titles were the best thing about it. The overall tone worked for me, but it dragged a little, perhaps due to its unswerving devotion to the iconic images from the comic. It would have made a better mini-series than a movie. It's a pity this genre isn't still in vogue.

On the upbeat, I liked this movie and it made me reflect on Moore's brilliant comic series once more. Snyder's paean to this great comic book has ensured I'll be reading it again very soon.

Edward

Bartender
Rereading the book again following the film is interesting. For the most part, I think the film is bang on; the changes it makes I actually felt were very much for the best.

I wonder how Moore feels about it - he doesn'tg seem to have gone out ofv his way to slag off Watchmen to the same degree as he did V for Vendetta.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I watched the movie last night.
The best I've seen in a long while. Almost perfect.
Just as my wife recently accused me of not liking any movies lately.

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I loved this film adaptation of the comic series. Even thought the "squid" got left out it was excellent.

Long live Rohrschack!

*hrmh*

HMH

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I really liked the graphic novel, but I couldn't make it 5 minutes into the movie. Everything about the style bothered me. It might have been because I was on a plane, so I will have to give it another try. However, I didn't like the style in 300 either, so I am guessing that the plane was not solely responsible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy