Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Anachronism said:
ok, I feel I must say this, even if it gets me kicked off the forum.
I've read a few pages of this thread and noticed a few posts about how the 70s were bad because men started looking more "effeminate".

I find that VERY offensive. gay or straight, I don't care what gender you dress like, do what feels right when it comes to gender and clothing! I might be the only one on here who is concerned with gay rights and culture. It's something very close to me because some of the people I love are gay.

Honestly the thing that was great about the 70s in comparison with the 50s is that gays were STARTING to be tolerated. But the posts on this thread make me think that maybe this nation is totally backwards and ignorant.

You're right. This IS a good look, no matter what I said before.

jcpenney17.jpg

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
You're right. This IS a good look, no matter what I said before.

jcpenney17.jpg

if you don't find it aesthetically pleasing, that's fine. Bringing gender roles into the whole thing is what I find offensive.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Lets see. If you ignore "tricky Dickey" "Jimmy the Wimp" Agnew the crook, two reccesions in one decade, wage and price controls, defeat in vietnam, opec, double digit inflation, sky rocketing crime rates, the start of the conflagration formely known as the Bronx, the most horrendous fashions in the history of human kind, disco and other bad music, terrible message movies, dubbed in kung fu movies, AMC buying Harley, terrorisim, double digit unemployment, double digit interest rates it wasn't to bad:p
Tom

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Anachronism said:
I've read a few pages of this thread and noticed a few posts about how the 70s were bad because men started looking more "effeminate".

I find that VERY offensive. gay or straight, I don't care what gender you dress like, do what feels right when it comes to gender and clothing! I might be the only one on here who is concerned with gay rights and culture. It's something very close to me because some of the people I love are gay.

Honestly the thing that was great about the 70s in comparison with the 50s is that gays were STARTING to be tolerated. But the posts on this thread make me think that maybe this nation is totally backwards and ignorant.

Aren't you assuming that effeminate men are gay?

Feraud

Bartender
Sefton said:
O.K., here goes: Why I Hate The 1700s

1.Wooden teeth
2.Tea tax
3.Men not nearly as manly as in the 1600s
3.Witches still hexing the crops.
4.Young men wearing their big buckled hats backwards
5.Indians
6.The British
7.The French
8.Ben "Mr.Smarty-knickers" Franklin
lol lol 'tis pure genius.

just_me

Practically Family
When I think of the 70s, I think of two distinct styles. The early 70s, which were an extension of the latter part of the 60s (bell bottoms, tie dye, long hair on men, pretty much anything you'd see at a peace march). The mid 70s started to change to the polyester, big hair, disco look and extended to the end of the 70s.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Anachronism said:
of course not. Take for example transvestites like Eddie Izzard. Straight men who dress in women's clothing.

Good.

I'm pretty sure you're not "the only one on here"--out of 10,000 members--"concerned with gay rights and culture."

Anachronism said:
ok, I feel I must say this, even if it gets me kicked off the forum. I've read a few pages of this thread and noticed a few posts about how the 70s were bad because men started looking more "effeminate".

I am offended by your being offended, what right do you have to be offended?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Here's something that I like about the 1970s: They didn't make those enormous car sound systems with subwoofers powerful enough for stadium arenas yet. If they had, there would be no escape from (insert bad 70s music of choice here).

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RIGHT ON SISTER

Anachronism said:

It will not get you kicked out, and you are not alone!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
I am offended by your being offended, what right do you have to be offended?
I do hope that was a joke...it's kind of hard to tell sometimes in type...EVERYONE has a right to an opinion. At least here in America we do!

ortega76

Practically Family
Okay, granted I was born in 1976, so I kinda missed everything. Here's what I dig about the 70's.

1. Musically? Funk (especially Parliament) and the soundtrack to Enter the Dragon (Chinese traditional mixed with "wah-wah" guitar). Marvin Gaye ("Let's Get It On" and "Got to Give It Up" are among my favorite all-time songs). Let's not forget Led Zepelin.

2. Movies? Kung-fu movies in general (they had a huge impact on American culture and helped paved the way for greater cultural acceptance of Asian cultures in the 80's and 90's).

3. Fashion? Okay, this is a bust for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara