Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The 70s were an interesting decade. There was a lot of good and a lot of bad. Leisure suits were not a highlight, but then, they were suits! Disco also wasn't a highlight, but people did go out in groups and dance together.

I rather liked the sportswear. Take for instance, those Bogner ski suits on Roger Moore in the bond films.

There were also fantastic films, from "The Godfather" to "Star Wars." "The French Connection," "Dirty Harry," to "Kramer vs. Framer."

Of course, the best time to live is now. Life always brings what your will demands of it. I don't spend too much time fantasizing about other eras to single them out for criticism or praise while there is money to be made now, friends to make, foods to eat, sights to see, fun things to debate here on the Lounge. :) But of course, I do prefer the styles of the Golden Era. ;)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Sigourney Weaver became a star in `79

2656497385_caf3b783c6.jpg

If Alien is the KingKong of its decade, then she is the Fay Wray.

But really its a movie that showed the direction that the `80s would take.

Talbot

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
The only negative thing I can think of along these lines is that none of the vintage clothes I bought back then -- for pennies on the dollar -- fit me anymore. That was another good thing in the '70s -- having a 27-inch waist.

Lizzie, mine don't fit me either.

I don't mean to be fresh, but going by your avatar, you still scrub up a treat for my sore eyes!

Leisure Suits = bad language!

I have a story about going to the men's shop with one of the high school history teachers, where he was looking to buy a Leisure Suit. He was a WWII Army Air Corps veteran who flew in a bomber over Europe and had been shot down. Very funny, really full of a lifetime of wisdom and learning.

The idea of a suit without a tie just puzzled him to no end. Most of us knew that old fashion rules were being broken but the new rules weren't being spelled out very well. I said perhaps they were still in flux so pretty much anything goes with these suits.

The conversation that we had following my statement and during the selection of the leisure suit was one of the funniest things I have ever heard from an adult and because of the language used cannot repeat it here.

A common theme is that Leisure Suits have ALWAYS inspired bad language, even back when they were just coming out.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
One word:

POLYESTER!

Notice how I chose the worst shade of green in the color key. lol

I blame TV and that dirty 9 letter word for the down fall of western society... oh and the Nixon administration... Oh, Carter and his gang sure fixed things just perfect too :rolleyes:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
One word:

POLYESTER!

Notice how I chose the worst shade of green in the color key. lol

I blame TV and that dirty 9 letter word for the down fall of western society... oh and the Nixon administration of course... Oh, and Carter wasn't no rose either.

It wasn't Jimmy Carter's fault. I blame...

Lillemor

One Too Many
I was born at the end of 76 but the few memories I had of the 70s were ugly to say the least! For a while I was nostalgic for 70s homes when we were house hunting in 2000 but the reality of what those houses were really like quickly crashed on me!:eek: I also hate all the home "improvements" people did on perfectly good houses pre-1962 during the 1970s. I don't care much for the 60s either except the early 60s are okay as far as conservative styles go. The 1980s took a long time for me to shake, but now I'm thoroughly through with the 80s too!!! It took me all of the 90s and the beginning of this decade to do that.:eek:

I've seen so many photos of older people who looked great during the 1930s-1960s then they looked awful in the 1970s with little improvements during the 80s but they look great now or when they were still alive in the 90s.

I like The Carpenters and strangely some of DR Hook's early stuff and some good bluegrass and country came out during that decade too but I hate disco!

There were some romantic retro styles I don't think were all that bad.:eek: People in our circles just didn't wear anything that sophisticated.:eek:

I'm greatly resentful of all my early childhood photos.

just_me

Practically Family
A lot of people make the mistake of thinking of only disco music when they think of the 70s. There was a lot of really good music being made in the 70s. Just a quick list off the top of my head (there are many more):

Bruce Springsteen
John Lennon
George Harrison
Rod Stewart
The Eagles
Led Zeppelin
Elton John
Queen
and of course people like the Stones, Dylan, Joe Cocker, James Taylor, Crosby Stills & Nash were still recording and performing.

Personally, I like the first half of the 70s a lot. That probably has to do with where my life was at the time. Second half was OK except for clothing styles. :D

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
I have a story about going to the men's shop with one of the high school history teachers, where he was looking to buy a Leisure Suit. He was a WWII Army Air Corps veteran who flew in a bomber over Europe and had been shot down. Very funny, really full of a lifetime of wisdom and learning.

The idea of a suit without a tie just puzzled him to no end. Most of us knew that old fashion rules were being broken but the new rules weren't being spelled out very well. I said perhaps they were still in flux so pretty much anything goes with these suits.

The conversation that we had following my statement and during the selection of the leisure suit was one of the funniest things I have ever heard from an adult and because of the language used cannot repeat it here.

A common theme is that Leisure Suits have ALWAYS inspired bad language, even back when they were just coming out.

Don't lose sight of the fact that the leasure suit was not a product of the seventies. It was the polyester version tht made it so bad I guess. But the original concept was created, mostly in California, in the 30s and 40s, much of which was worn tieless and is held in very high regard by many loungers, as well as other afficionados world wide.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I can't believe she hasnt been mentioned yet or has she?... Farah Fawcett and her hairstyle!... I mean, the 70s without her is inconceivable! LOL

377744328_7241c21961.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Lincsong said:
Gordon Lightfoot

The second concert I ever went to, if I recall correctly, was Gordon Lightfoot shortly after "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerold" came out. It was fantastic!

(About halfway through he announced that it was time to introduce the band, and turned to the band members. Instead of announcing the name/instrument/where from usual bit he started introducing them to each other. lol Well, it was funny at the time.:D )

Cheers,
Tom

Avocado green applicances---not to mention brown ones. :eusa_doh:
Shag rugs and the stupid rakes that went with them :eusa_doh:
Ugly jelly bean cars---not that todays are much better:rolleyes:
Shoes with huge heels---even for men. :(
Ugly addidas athletic shoes---most of the athletic shoes really.
The beginning and nexus of the distrust of government---for good reason.:rolleyes:
Jim Jones
Lousy game shows where the hosts wore used car salesman garb.:eusa_doh:
Horrible slang words like Bogue, spaz, far out, fab, keep on truckin' etc. etc.:rolleyes:
Interior color combinations of the 1970s---to go along with that avocado fridge man. :rolleyes:
Domestic terrorist groups like the Black Panthers and the Weather Underground. :eusa_doh:
The music--yes all of it.
Interest rates nine to ten times what they are now.
Stagflation
I could go on for pages.....I suppose that is why this thread is so long. :D

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
I can't believe she hasnt been mentioned yet or has she?... Farah Fawcett and her hairstyle!... I mean, the 70s without her is inconceivable! LOL

377744328_7241c21961.jpg

I tried to do the "Do" myself with the following instructions.

longshag.gif

I want to be Farrah I want to be an Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic