Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas

One Too Many
There was some good stuff in the 70's.

Blaxploitation films; Pam Grier...rrrrrrreowww
coffy%20fotograma.jpg

There were a lot of good films made in that era - thinking about "Burn" with Marlon Brando, "The Omega Man" w/ Chuck Heston, "The Godfather", etc. etc.

Mostly it was bad.

There was lots of casual sex to be had....right up until the Herpes epidemic, anyway.
Urban decay.
The oil embargo.
Munich Olympics.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
The expression "Keep on truckin' " was invented and widely used by high school kids in the late 1930s. It was revived in the '70s by the cartoonist R. Crumb and others.

And Crumb was inspired by Blind Boy Fuller's "Keep on Truckin'".

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're right, Feraud: "Keep on truckin' " --the phrase and its accompanying strut-- was popularized by (mostly) white high school kids, who somehow picked it up from black jazz musicians.

You can hear the phrase near the end of the 1940s Disney movie Dumbo, when one of the crows says "I even saw a vegetable truck," and his fellow crows get ready to do the "Keep on truckin' " strut.

Truckin' on down the line
Hey hey hey
I say keep on truckin'
Truckin' my blues away.

Keep on truckin' mama
Truckin' my troubles away.
I say keep on truckin' mama
Do that thing you do so well
I can tell what you been doin'
By the way that you smell.
Keep on truckin' mama

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The thing I most like about the 70's was that it brought about the end of American involvement in the war in Vietnam.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
The end of the draft and the end of the Viet Nam War were the result of the Nixon administration.:eek:

I still have my draft card. Anal glaucoma kept me a civilian.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
The expression "Keep on truckin' " was picked up and widely used by high school kids in the late 1930s. It was revived in the '70s by the cartoonist R. Crumb and others.

R Crumb. One of the good things to come out of the seventies for sure. And he was not alone in his love for vintage music, clothes, and the era. In fact, many of us might have fit in better in the seventies. Our tastes were kind of hip, but with long hair.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Truckin' is also an old dance move.

"She was truckin' on down the avenue, without a single thing to do..."

Yes, popularized by a broadway show, using a step done by waiters in harlem who trucked through the restaurants spinning round trays on their fingers like the harlem globe trotters.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
R Crumb. One of the good things to come out of the seventies for sure. And he was not alone in his love for vintage music, clothes, and the era. In fact, many of us might have fit in better in the seventies. Our tastes were kind of hip, but with long hair.
It's always amused me how much of an hippy icon status R.Crumb had despite the fact that he hated rock music and he spent just as much time and energy crafting brutal satires of the hippy lifestyle as he did the so-called "straights". He didn't mind the fawning attentions of young hippy girls, of course. My current favorite Crumb quote: "Your zest for life appalls me". Brilliant guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters