Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wrist watches and sleeve lining wear?

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I have a LW Trojan, and it's by far the nicest jacket I've ever owned. I purchased it to wear on my motorcycle almost four years ago exactly, and I couldn't be happier. However, the sleeve cuffs are close fitting, and I noticed that the sleeve lining is starting to fray on the inside of the cuff along a 1" long line from the buckle (particularly the prong piece I suspect) of my wrist watch rubbing along it when I move my arms.

Just figured I'd ask, anyone else experience this type of wear on the lining of their leather jackets? My watch buckle isn't abnormally protrusive, and the lining of the jacket is pretty solid material, so I was surprised I hadn't heard about similar wear before.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Just to specify, this is very minor fraying. I could see it maybe in another 5 years or so starting to accumulate to something more worrisome though.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Apologies for the crummy photography.

IMG_20151114_171030123.jpg

IMG_20151114_171047200.jpg

IMG_20151114_171056839.jpg

I've had my last few jackets made with leather cuffs - no lining since I wear large watches. Don't know what would happen over time, but I opted to not need to worry about it...
I will only get leather cuffs whenever possible.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've had my last few jackets made with leather cuffs - no lining since I wear large watches. Don't know what would happen over time, but I opted to not need to worry about it...
I will only get leather cuffs whenever possible.

Thanks for the suggestion of leather cuffs. I'm just sorting out what jacket I'm going to get JC to build for me, and that's a useful idea.

What watches do you wear?

I used to have a Breitling diver's watch, and the bezel would sometimes catch on the jacket's lining. I never had any problem with wearing through, but I think that it would have been over time.

And I agree with @ingineer about armour.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I vote for leather cuff too, and wearing the watch after wearing the jacket, or take off the watch before the jacket, or skip the watch altogether...since mobile phone has a clock :)

Thanks for the suggestion of leather cuffs. I'm just sorting out what jacket I'm going to get JC to build for me, and that's a useful idea.

What watches do you wear?

I used to have a Breitling diver's watch, and the bezel would sometimes catch on the jacket's lining. I never had any problem with wearing through, but I think that it would have been over time.

And I agree with @ingineer about armour.

I wear mostly Fortis B-42 models. I sold most of my watches, but I tend to go for that look/size.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I wear my watch upside down when I wear it with a jacket, so that the watch face is on the underside of my wrist. I do this because it's less bulky, not because I'm worried about wear and tear on the jacket, but I suppose it helps with that also

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Don't wear a watch, rarely have a phone on me, if i need the time i ask someone...

I do have a problem with some linings fraying at the waist, probably from rubbing on my jeans or belt, and i haven't been able to do anything about it.
I think all you can do is either ask to have a leather patch sewn on the inside where you watch sits, or wait until it wears through and change the lining...

Ralph_Phillips

One of the Regulars
I generally don't wear a watch either. In fact I'm struggling to think of anyone I know who wears one.

Most people I know both in the USA and in Australia still wear one, but In the past few years, they seem to be disappearing since practically everyone has a do it all mobile phone.

Personally, I don't even consider something to be a watch unless it is mechanical.

Still couldn't get into watches. Not because of the mobile phone, which I more often than not forget to leave the house with (I'm not a doctor so there's hardly any need for urgency in my life) but because it would get stuck in just about any shirt, vest or jacket I'd put on (plus I have an extremely well honed internal clock) so yeah, it was a problem for me. Didn't want to risk ruining the sleeves. The rings already do enough damage to them as it is. All the people I know that I can think of wear a watch, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24