Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII crusher cap questions

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I'm posting this here, because it's a hat, and because it didn't get much response in the WWII forum.

wwii impressions sells them for $50 less than history preservation assoc. Is it a different hat? Several people posted in the past that they both sell the same hat, made by the Lancaster company. Still the case?

Size: do they run true, large, small? Do they skrink at all?

Style: anyone wear theirs with regular civilian clothes, outside the house? Is this a bridge too far??? lol

Thanks!
Joel

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Mine is a Lancaster 7 3/8. The thing fits perfectly and no shrinkage thus far. It's a very nice crusher cap for the money. One of the best repros I seen in some time. I suppose that if I took the brass officers device off of the front it may pass for some sprt of civilian cabbie cap all crushed down. But I haven't ventured down that path yet.lol

Cheers!

Dan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's me in mine...

I love it's fit, but I always wish they could get that brim in the proper russet color. It's chocolate; goes well with the A-2 but it really should match the shoes! Oh well - I'm struttin'!

2d91622b.jpg

-dixon cannon

Hondo

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Mine is a Lancaster 7 3/8. The thing fits perfectly and no shrinkage thus far. It's a very nice crusher cap for the money. One of the best repros I seen in some time. I suppose that if I took the brass officers device off of the front it may pass for some sprt of civilian cabbie cap all crushed down. But I haven't ventured down that path yet.lol

Cheers!

Dan

Mine also is a Lancaster 7 3/8, I love it!! fits great!!! couple of years ago,
I once came to the door of my parents and my Dad thought I was a cop, policeman lol I've worn mine on Memorial Day weekends and any place that has B17's :)

paperclerk101

New in Town
How do you...

determine if it is the real deal or a recreation.

Would a crusher that was made by Dobb's, most likely be the real deal or a recreation?

The one I have, I was told was "his military/pilots hat" (I forget how she put it) but I didn't want to get into it, these items were her Late husbands and I didn't want to dwell.

Dave

deanglen

Maybe someone who owns one could try wearing it around in public and report on the reaction that they get. I"d love to own one of those and I'd be tempted to wear it.

dean

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Well, once I find the half-kilobuck financing, I would have no qualms about wearing the one I plan to buy.

Then again, since I style myself so heavily after MacArthur, it might work... (although I never wear the stars, out of respect for the uniform)

I'm curious--you won't wear the stars, out of respect for the uniform, but you will wear a crusher cap with a military badge on it? What's the difference, if I might ask?

Feraud

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
I'm curious--you won't wear the stars, out of respect for the uniform, but you will wear a crusher cap with a military badge on it? What's the difference, if I might ask?
Is the difference similar to wearing fatigues with an American flag on it? I have hesitated from putting together a military styled outfit because of these issues.

Rooster

Practically Family
Now hey Paddy, that's the way a crusher is supposed to look!:eusa_clap
So, what's the final consensus about wearing them outside of the house for anything other than a WWII reenactment?
I'm quirky enouph to do it...I think:p

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Bancroft Flighter

Bancroft Flighter (with Cavalry officer's leather back strap).

CHECK CLASSIFIEDS: As one of the chaps is selling a Dobb's Officer's cap as we speak (I understand).

deanglen

Rooster said:
Now hey Paddy, that's the way a crusher is supposed to look!:eusa_clap
So, what's the final consensus about wearing them outside of the house for anything other than a WWII reenactment?
I'm quirky enouph to do it...I think:p

Do it! Just do it and see! I would. At least once!:D

dean

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For outside wear...

It does have a Bogie or Flynn look of them at the helm of their yachts look!

It has a 'nautical' and jaunty soul to it, and I think that's at the heart of it, because these aviators were the sailors of the skies!

I think you could get away with it, but...personally I'd unscrew the Eagle, so that it has a plain front (and would still look very cool!!), if I were to ever wear it outside in public. It would just look like a very cool vintage cap, IMHO.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24