Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII crusher cap questions

Hondo

One Too Many
I don't believe I've ever seen a Dobbs crusher, lets see some photos :)
I have a Lancaster, will do a color pic soon.
Lookin very good Paddy :eusa_clap

mapbw.jpg

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Frankly I don't think I've got the grapes to wear one to the corner store. Talk about flying your freak flag. :D ;)

It'd be fun for long car trips though.

Orgetorix said:
I'm curious--you won't wear the stars, out of respect for the uniform, but you will wear a crusher cap with a military badge on it? What's the difference, if I might ask?

My understanding is that the crusher design has changed enough since then, especially "standard issue" comparative to the MacArthur crusher in particular, that one first issued in say '42 even if in mint condition would be considered "non-regulation" today. (Bear in mind, Lancaster's MacArthur crusher was the target of my reference.)

Besides, the MacArthur crusher was non-regulation even for its own time!

Feraud

Bartender
PADDY said:
I think you could get away with it, but...personally I'd unscrew the Eagle, so that it has a plain front (and would still look very cool!!), if I were to ever wear it outside in public. It would just look like a very cool vintage cap, IMHO.[huh]
That is what I am thinking. I would wear the crusher w/out the badge.

Btw, are the tan crushers from a particular theater of operation? I like the way this looks.
PADDY said:

Hondo

One Too Many
Joel Tunnah said:
Dixon, is yours from wwiiimpressions?

And, did you replace the badge with a period one?

Mine an Eastmans Landcaster came with replica which I replaced with 1940 authentic eagle, (which I found for $8 bucks!) mine is not yet 50 missions but I’m slowly working on breaking it in, how do people react? I could careless, its my thing, enjoy and tribute but have had people smile and say "You look good! or cool" I don't wear any ranks, ribbons or metals, only wear wings which is authentic 1940'ish, and one patch that’s the 8th bomber group. Its after all for tribute :)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeh!...me too!..now spin that prop one more time again!

David V said:
Im wear one if I owned a charter plane.

My drunken charter pilot impression! (This one is my original [label missing] Khaki {with an original cap device]) I've taken the the cap device off and often wear this when hanging around the airport! So far no one has chartered any flights yet!

DrunkenPilot.jpg

-dixon cannon

David V

A-List Customer
Feraud said:

Btw, are the tan crushers from a particular theater of operation? I like the way this looks.

I'm pretty sure (based on my viewing of old movies) that it was Pacific Theater.

Hondo

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
My drunken charter pilot impression! (This one is my original [label missing] Khaki {with an original cap device]) I've taken the the cap device off and often wear this when hanging around the airport! So far no one has chartered any flights yet!

-dixon cannon

Thats cool, think back to Cary Grant in “Father Goose” or Clutch Cargo remember him? lol

http://www.toontracker.com/clutchcargo/cargo.htm

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Originally Posted by Feraud

David V said:
I'm pretty sure (based on my viewing of old movies) that it was Pacific Theater.

Actually, the Khaki was standard issue summer Class A uniform. There a quite a few shots of 8th USAAF guys wearing their Khaki crushers in England. I'll find one to post. I've got a great shot of Capt. Clark Gable wearing his.

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24