Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII crusher cap questions

Hondo

One Too Many
Dixon, Flieger, Maj.Nick Danger, Feraud, deanglen, Khaki crusher without the eagle is cool, its my next goal, after I track down another fedora, thanks for the photos :eusa_clap

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I take it back. Skipper had a badge too: anchors.

Gilligan07.JPG

Rooster

Practically Family
Feraud said:
You guys have settled the issue for me, I am getting a khaki crusher!
:eusa_clap
Let me know where you find one, I looked around a bit yesterday and came up with nothing in the kahki department.

Feraud

Bartender
You can avoid the skipper look by not wearing a blue polo shirt and khakis. Not to mention the "bling" around the neck.
:D
Joel Tunnah said:
I take it back. Skipper had a badge too: anchors.

Gilligan07.JPG

I am going to do some digging around and will keep you guys updated.
Here is one source for khaki provided by D.C.
Dixon Cannon said:
http://www.uswings.com/crushcap.asp
Mine is from U.S. Wings - I must have gotten that thing almost twenty-years ago! The hat device is the original replica that came on the hat.

-dixon cannon

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
You know...

crush_capkhaki.jpg

I am wondering if some SURGERY would cure the ugliness on this hat... If I move the eagle cap device down about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and lopped off the stiffner at the top that makes this look like it belonged to Manuel Noriega...

It might just work and for $81.00 not a bad price. (I've GOT to get me a khaki colored crusher before Reading!)

This is what a proper crusher should look like:

Tan_Crusher.jpg

ZF

Rooster

Practically Family
Thanks for the links guys, much appreciated. I think I'll go with the US wings version. I just can't justify $200 for a crusher just to wear with a leather jacket!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Keep an eye out...

....the Edward Bay throws them up all the time (originals), coming in at less than a new one often. Always worth looking as we speak.;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
....the Edward Bay throws them up all the time (originals), coming in at less than a new one often. Always worth looking as we speak.;)
Yes that's true. Bigger sizes like my 7-5/8 are hard to come by though,...:(
The U.S. Wings hat looks good in the pics, but if you handle one first hand they just don't compare to some of the more expensive repros out there. The eagle insignia was chintzy! :eusa_doh:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Rooster said:
Thanks for the links guys, much appreciated. I think I'll go with the US wings version. I just can't justify $200 for a crusher just to wear with a leather jacket!
Rooster, don't do it! The US Wings crusher is complete crap! It's a total South American dictator cap, and you'll just end up hating it. The WWII Impressions cap is much, much, much better, even though it's a little more. They're currently running $145.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Rooster, don't do it! The US Wings crusher is complete crap! It's a total South American dictator cap, and you'll just end up hating it. The WWII Impressions cap is much, much, much better, even though it's a little more. They're currently running $145.
Yes,...I mean no. Don't do it. Listen to Mohave Jack. The US Wings thing has a lot of plastic in it, and it's stiff as a board. I think the eagle device was even made out of plastic, now that I think of it. :( Hardly a serviceable crusher.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Been thinking about that one, Mark...

fishmeok said:
E-bay seller k-9$, a surplus guy in Chicago has a decent looking repop on e-bay for $85. At least it looks like it's made out of wool gabardine.
Have been in touch with the proprietor and he says I can return it if I am not satisfied... For a $85 and a little surgery it just might work.

Joel Tunnah said:
historypreservation.com has a nice looking one, but it's $200!
AND made out of cotton! I want one in tan wool.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thread. I just snagged a couple in a thrift store. I have always dug them. Also like the kind of service caps bike riders used to wear. I would love to have tan one like Brando with wings maybe. But definitely not the leather daddy leather kind. the kind I picked up are a nice russet bill with back strap and a whipchord or regimental cloth type (is that right name) greenish brown color.

I don't really wear hats as I am rather physically sensitive. But it crossed my mind that it would be kind of cool to wear with jeans or khakis.

My opinion is wear one as crushed and broken in as possible, to give it a non uniform look, as if you were a guy who came back from the war and sill wears his khakis and hat as casual wear.

I would not go with the eagle and would maybe not wear it with khakis and tan shirt and A2 as it would look too much like a costume (Of course if you want to have that look, more power to you)

But as one cool piece with an otherwise tateful but casual outfit would be cool.

So were these originally formal uniform hats with stiffener and wire in the brim, and they wre kind of converted to a cool looking casual style?

I think that it was a certain deliberate desire to look casual and devil may care that lead to the look. I love it. Very iconic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24