Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
I tell you what.....I'd like to have a pair of real deal vintage khaki's, but I do *love* my Bill's. High waist.......wide legs.....superb comfort......great durability by today's standards and Made in USA!

Finding the right fit in any garment can be tough, but I have always had a hard time finding comfortable pants; at least for me, Bill's are perfect.

Just sayin' that anyone who wants comfortable, pseudo vintage pants and who can't find or who, like me doesn't have the patience to try and find vintage..... should definitely check Bill's out.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled (and understandable) vintage love fest;) ......:D

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Too bad about Bill's

I had an email exchange with their customer service department a few days ago. They've discontinued their original unwashed button fly khakis:eek:

Now all you can get are the enzyme and stone washed pre-worn out ones and the price has gone up to $135.:mad:

If anyone knows of an alternative I'd sure like to know.

B R A N D X®

Familiar Face
Orvil Newton said:
I had an email exchange with their customer service department a few days ago. They've discontinued their original unwashed button fly khakis:eek:

Now all you can get are the enzyme and stone washed pre-worn out ones and the price has gone up to $135.:mad:

If anyone knows of an alternative I'd sure like to know.

Unfortunately that's a free market system at work.......the market dictates what survives and what doesn't. Minimal demand equals a discontinued product.

And yes.....their prices are steep, but this is primarily because they are made in America and Americans won't work for $5.00/day. Oddly enough Americans have been raised to believe they should be able to make a living wage for their toils while at the same time a global economy has taught the American consumer that the Best Deal is The Best Price.

That's the reality of the world we live in.....and ain't it a shame?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like the slightly lighter color- I find some of my originals too dark to wear with a blazer sometimes so I like the lighter stuff. The rise is a wee short for the period look, but it doesn't look unreasonably low to me.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
jcrew.officers.premium.chino.jpg

Why on earth would they model the pants a size too long?

The rise doesnt look bad, but the legs look a tad narrow.

Interesting to see all these details. A few years ago, RLL put out military style khakis w/ melamine buttons.

$85 is competitive, and you just know they'll be on sale by the end of the summer.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
Check the tags and see where they were made: America (or 'assembled' here) or elsewhere.

Anyone have Bill's Khakis?

http://www.apparelmag.com/ME2/Audie...025C19&AudID=A345F42FDB9D4A3C95F4E804E6F8B205
I'm just too lazy to look for an original WWII pair so I have had several "Bill's" over the years. Well made and durable. My current pair are starting to fray at the cuff and the edge of the pockets are going that way too. This is after several years of heavy usage though. Good thing that they last since they're not cheap...

Burnsie

MrBern said:
The rise doesnt look bad, but the legs look a tad narrow.

That's not such a bad thing - I've got the Buzz Rickson 1942 officers trousers and I could almost fit both of my legs in one pants leg! Sure, I'm a stickler for authenticity but....
(Plus they ran me $125!)

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Burnsie said:
That's not such a bad thing - I've got the Buzz Rickson 1942 officers trousers and I could almost fit both of my legs in one pants leg! Sure, I'm a stickler for authenticity but....
(Plus they ran me $125!)

No, not such a bad thing for looking modern-vintage inspired.
It's probably not too far off from SteveMcQueen's Great Escape costume.
2407195260_ccf768a0fb.jpg

Burnsie

MrBern said:
No, not such a bad thing for looking modern-vintage inspired.
It's probably not too far off from SteveMcQueen's Great Escape costume.

You mean they didn't actually wear drainpipe trousers in the AAF!?!lol

Seriously though, sometimes "vintage inspired" is better for work etc. I've been called "Grandpa" for wearing high waisted pants or 40s sweaters to work....

kodou

New in Town
any thoughts on the RL GI pant? I ran across them over on The Trad. They seem like the real deal, and at a slightly higher price point than the J. Crew pant. Both not made in the USA. *I should also add, howevever, that unlike the J Crew pant, I guess they have lower quality buttons.
I was in my town's military surplus store searching for chinos yesterday. They had a few (not in my size) but I was unable to understand the tag on the inside so I could not date them.

Brand X, I was just thinking about something similar the other day. Going by the article in GQ?...or was it Details?...anyways, classic american style seems to be showing up more & more in stores countries outside of the US. I think this is ironic, considering that the American style idea is popular, but the idea of said clothing being made in US is not at all.

jake431

Practically Family
I wanted to post that I have a pair of the J. Crew "Officer khakis" - and I love them; in the store they're the "surplus" model. Not sure why the difference in name. They come with 4 extra buttons, the wear isn't egregious, and they make a fine jeans substitute. Slim without a khaki wedgie.

Gonna be picking up another pair or two soon.

-Jake

JP147

New in Town
I came across a pair of these on Camden Market, London. Have been looking for another pair since but no luck yet. They're a big favourite.

fishmeok

Vendor
They really are not too far off from the originals. The early pre-war and WWII pattern was much tighter and trimmer than the late war pattern. I don't have the exact dates in front of me but I can check at home tonight if anyone is curious.
Cheers
Mark

jake431

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
They really are not too far off from the originals. The early pre-war and WWII pattern was much tighter and trimmer than the late war pattern. I don't have the exact dates in front of me but I can check at home tonight if anyone is curious.
Cheers
Mark

Mark,

The difference that I notice is in the fabric. J. Crew is marketing these as the "chino for the guy who wears jeans" - and accordingly, they have some fairly slubby fabric, much like some vintage jeans.

In any case, my love affair continues with these chinos unabated.

-Jake

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Another place to get khakis

Kohl's department store has a brand of 100% cotton khakis by Sonoma. They're baggy and have a vintage look. There are two shades: a true khaki giving them a British 8th Army/Afrika Korps look and one leaning toward gray. Best of all they run just $20 and can be had for $12-$15 when on sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner