Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You don't go barefoot, do you?: the Outerwear x Footwear Thread

Ishmael

Practically Family
Yes, this is the outerwear section. But you don't go barefoot with your leather jacket, do you?
Yes, there are some shoe threads in the "general attire" section. But I don't want to talk about general attire.

I want to talk about what footwear you pair with your favorite outerwear. And I hope you do too.

I'll start by throwing out my interest in this topic. As many of you know, I just got my first leather jacket. It's a nice one. It's a "signature piece". And it calls for some "signature footwear".

So I'm wondering.....

1) First, what do you pair with a leather jacket? Lace up boots, engineers, cowboy boots, bluchers, oxfords, wingtips, flip flops, yer barefeet? I'd love to see what you pair (or would like to pair) with your favorite outerwear. And get some recommendations.

My jacket is a 1930s style "sports jacket". What footwear did people wear with their leather jackets in the 30s? I really think it calls for a synthesis of "dress boot" and "work boot". Perhaps a sleek curvy engineer boot with a sexy "cuban" heel?

IMG_4994_zps31018f89.jpg

2) Second, I'm wondering about color and texture. Do you try to match the leather on your jacket with the leather on your shoes? Do you try to match the texture? Or do you go for something different but complementary?

In my case, I'm wondering if I should go after something "red brown" like the jacket? Or something different?

Hope this topic is of interest!

majormajor

One Too Many
Just a personal thing, but for me, Cowboy boots need to have a pointed toe. :D

loblanpair.jpg

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
For me, pointed toes are fashion

Pointed shoes, perhaps. But in the UK, cowboy boots are a million miles away from fashion.

In fact, they seem (don't ask me why) to be only worn by musicians! I'm often asked (by other musicians) if I am a musician - purely based on my boots!

And "pointed" cowboys boots are, in terms of the sole shape, generally chisled, rather than a true point. :D

loblanmens194westernboo.jpg

Last edited:
Pointed shoes, perhaps. But in the UK, cowboy boots are a million miles away from fashion.

In fact, they seem (don't ask me why) to be only worn by musicians!

And "pointed" cowboys boots are, in terms of the sole shape, generally chisled, rather than a true point. :D

loblanmens194westernboo.jpg

In US & specifically horse country of North Texas & South Oklahoma, you want see even musicians wearing pointed toed cowboy boots.
Just ask Lyle Lovett...I'll probably see him in OKC at the end of November at the National Reining Horse Assoc Futurity.
Now days, the French/square toed versions are in favor of the working horseman bunch.
squared.jpg

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
"I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?"

Wearing that jacket - probably not too often since it will get all the attention. I'd wear leather boots/shoes or vintage looking sneakers. The jacket is so good that you have a lot of flexibility without looking incongruous.

Matching the jacket color probably only matters to the person doing the matching so do it if it makes you happy or if you need an excuse to but a new pair of boots. Matching a belt to the footwear is the only hard-fast matching rule I follow. I am of the opinion that since I own black boots and no black jacket I need to buy a black jacket so I weight these rules based on the circumstances.

I feel the pointed toe cowboy boots are fashion vs function as well. I've always associated pointed toe with white collar or dressing up while ropers are work boots. It looks strange to me when people dress up ropers while dressing down pointed toes is pretty normal.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Agree the boots are for fashion but you could have confused Bakersfield, CA with western Oklahoma when it was all oil and agriculture but not so much since the population exploded. Korn's also from Bakersfield so I wonder whether they prefer ropers or pointed toes....

majormajor

One Too Many
Dwight is from Bakersfield, California... Those pointy toed boots are definitely for fashion.

I'm sorry my friend, but you are misunderstanding me completely.

In ENGLAND, cowboy boots have nothing to do with cowboys. We don't have any!

So cowboy "fashions" mean diddly squat.

But musicians (as I said, I don't know why, but it is some kind of badge) DO wear them.

If you don't wanna believe me, that's cool - but please don't try to blind me with your very obvious superior knowledge of "the working cowboy bunch" ;):D

Edward

Bartender
Musicians, usually, or either a "country and western" persuasion, or of the heavy metal variety. And some goths. I have a pair somewhere that were bought purely for costume wear... For myself, I really don't care for the style. would consider a much less tapered, much more subtle version of the heel on an engineer boot, though. As to the original question, I have worn most pairs of shoes I own with leather at one time or another. Typically leather shoes or boots in a complimentary colour. I do possess a couple of pairs of Chuck Taylor style boots (not Converse since the Nike buyout), but those are onky for extremely hot weather, and I don't think I have worn them for a couple of years.

I'm sorry my friend, but you are misunderstanding me completely.

In ENGLAND, cowboy boots have nothing to do with cowboys. We don't have any!

So cowboy "fashions" mean diddly squat.

But musicians (as I said, I don't know why, but it is some kind of badge) DO wear them.

If you don't wanna believe me, that's cool - but please don't try to blind me with your very obvious superior knowledge of "the working cowboy bunch" ;):D
You are misunderstanding me or my superior knowledge is flying over your head.
Since you DON'T have any cowboys then all those wearing cowboy boots are doing it for FASHION & only pure fashion. Whatelse is there, diddly squat? IF you don't have cowboys then you are playing dress up which is fashion ONLY!
SOME musicians wear these for fashion sake but those cowboys that are musicians, like George Strait (team roper), don't wear them.
As the saying goes, if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo