Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your all time fav Leather Jacket (1-2) you own or have owned

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
For around these parts, yeah it's big. For normal people out there in the world, it's totally fine. :) Great jacket either way.

Cal straight zip. Covid beard no extra charge...

oXPGQVq.jpg

Friend, That is a beauty. Good eye.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Nice thread idea:

#1 all time is definitely my Freewheelers Sunset jacket. It fit me perfectly when I was bigger, but now is too big which is why I'm selling it. The more I look at the pics though, I wonder if it really is all that big on me...

Now:
6n9Bye6.jpg

79gxDHC.jpg

Judging by the photos, the jacket doesn't look too big for me when it is closed. If you wear it open, it is on the larger side, but that is also due to the cross zip style (wider chest part). I was in the same situation and with a heavy heart I decided to pass my Sunset Jacket on because it looked too big for me when it was worn openly... same as yours ;)

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I have been seriously considering a Brakeman, but the shoulders are too large on many people. Do you have any fit pics?

Here we go :)

Brakeman_Portrait_FL.jpg

As ref.: I am 5'11" (180cm), 165 lbs (75 kg), 39" (99 cm chest) and wearing size 40". Once I wore size 42" in Brakeman Coat, but then I had 26.5 lbs (12 kg) more on my ribs at a chest size of 41" (104 cm). Traded size 42" Brakeman for a Switchyard size 42" (now @Guppy) back then. Now I can wear Size 38" in Switchyard...

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Some more fit pictures as requested @Superfluous :

FL_1.JPG
FL_2.JPG
FL_3.JPG
FL_4.JPG
FL_5.JPG
Brakeman_Pockets_FL.JPG

Note: I like this cut (bell shaped) because it is authentic ... but that is not for everyone. The asymmetrical curve of the pockets is also a nice detail.

Tape measurements on size 40" are as follow:
(Laid flat, buttoned up, Chest on Front, Shoulder on Back):

Chest: 21.25" (54 cm)
Shoulder: 18.9" (48 cm)
Sleeve straight: 24" (61 cm)
Sleeve curved: 25.75" (65.5 cm)
Back: 26.37" with a 1.57" front drop (67 cm with a 4 cm front drop)
Bottom opening: 22" (56 cm)

As you can see, sleeves are on the shorter side (also the storm cuffs hold them in place). This is also an authentic feature, back in time most of workwear clothing was on shorter sleeve lenght to to prevent e.g. to get into a machine with too long sleeves.

Conclusion: I think if you like authenticity, the brakeman coat / jacket is a nice thing. If you're more into a modern look, then rather not...

Last edited:

58panheadfan

One Too Many
My two favorites vary from day to day. Today, I'll go with:
Vintage Buco J-100: View attachment 335837
And Freewheelers Mulholland: View attachment 335838
The OP asked about leather favorites -- if the question was expanded to non-leather outerwear, my Freewheelers Brodovitch would likely crack my top two (I love this jacket!): View attachment 335839

Sometimes I feel the same way ... but if you only had a heartbeat (for example your house is on fire, which of course we all don't hope) to decide which jacket (1-2) you could take with you, which one would it be...? ;)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Sometimes I feel the same way ... but if you only had a heartbeat (for example your house is on fire, which of course we all don't hope) to decide which jacket (1-2) you could take with you, which one would it be...? ;)
that's a different kind of question because my favorite might be easily replaced because of availability. But if something were going to be destroyed, then need to consider odds of finding it again.

I'd probably still take my Commando because there was only 20 made. But for my 2nd, the blue aero still in contention, but in that case, I'd probably take my Cal straight zip. It's pretty much like new condition for being about 50 years old. Not so easy to find.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

40s Windward

View attachment 335599

Thedi

View attachment 335600

Still own them and will definitely never sell them.

I need to review this post. The Thedi has switched places with my Field Leathers. Not because the Thedi has fallen out of grace, it's still a great jacket and I love wearing it. But I just don't wear it all that often.

My grab and go all purpose jacket is my FL so I think it deserves this spot more than the Thedi.

Windward is still #1. That jacket is irreplaceable. So if my house would be on fire and I could only grab two jackets, I'd grab the Windward and wear the FL.

3BAA1CC9-E6C1-4B91-A635-0BFAF3ED7807.jpeg
B406CFED-71A3-451D-A725-1852503F03F6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112