Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite silent movies.

78_Maestro

New in Town
Phantom Of THE Opera

I recently saw the 1925 film "Phantom Of The Opera" with Lon Cheney and Mary Philbin. The restored DVD version has color sequences and tinted sequences.

Viewing this film, I marvel at Lon Cheney's ability to become a character. He was truly the man of a thousand faces.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
A Girl's Folly (1917)
Stella Maris (1918)
True Heart Susie (1919)
The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse (1921)
The Affairs Of Anatol (1921)
Safety Last! (1923)
Hot Water (1924)
Wine Of Youth (1924)
Seven Chances (1925)
The Big Parade (1925)
Blonde For A Night (1926)
Dancing Mothers (1926)
Ella Cinders (1926)
It (1927)
Walking Back (1928)
Show People (1928)
Bare Knees (1928)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
If it's silent, it's my favorite. It opens the door to the twenties, it's like travelling back in time, it's reliving a past that's no more. I don't care much for the plot or acting or banalities like that :eek: ;) I watch them because I want to go back and that's a good way to do it. :D
(well, of course if the movie is good, then the watching is double good,that goes without saying...)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
One for every year of the dominant silent era 1915ish-1929:

Kidnapped In New York (1914)
The Social Secretary (1916)
A Girl's Folly (1917)
Stella Maris (1918)
True Heart Susie (1919)
The Flapper (1920)
The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse (1921)
Toll Of The Sea (1922)
Safety Last! (1923)
Wine Of Youth (1924)
Seven Chances (1925)
Ella Cinders (1926)
It (1927)
Bare Knees (1928)
Show People (1928)
Diary Of A Lost Girl (1929)

Silent movies and pre-Code movies are a serious addiction with me :eek:
Just think of what I could have been doing with all of this time....

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I see a few people saying Safety Last! is good, so O.K., O.K.! I'll buy it! I'll buy it!:p I have been wanting to watch that one for at least two years. Just keep forgetting to look it up. I love the way intellectuals were portrayed in those days with the thick glasses.
So you see.... I have convinced myself already that I am a Harold Lloyd fan.

ClayBob

New in Town
I agree with Brian Sheridan, anything with Harold LLoyd makes my list.
So do most of D. W. Griffth's films ecspecially "The Birth Of A Nation". I also liked "Sparrows" starring a very young Mary Pickford. Some Russian stuff like "Man With the Movie Camera" by Dziga Vertov and "Aelita - Queen of Mars" by Yakov Protazanov. I love silent films. My wife's Grandmother played piano and organ at a theater in a small town in Kansas. Is there any place left where a person can go and watch silents on a big screen with live music?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
German director G.W. Pabst's Pandora's Box is my all time favorite ~
and I do have to say that most of my favorites were filmed by German
directors..... The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Nosferatu, the Vampire,
Faust , The Diary of a Lost Girl, Metropolis

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm a real fan of silent movies...I began watching them on PBS back in the 1970s. My favorite stars of the era are Harold Lloyd, Colleen Moore, Douglas Fairbanks and Clara Bow. I tend to prefer movies that depict everyday life in the 1920s...particularly those having to do with the high school or college scene.

My absolute favorites would include:
Safety Last - 1923, with Harold Lloyd
Skinner's Dress Suit - 1926, with Laura La Plante
Orchids and Ermine - 1926, with Colleen Moore
It - 1927, with Clara Bow
Speedy - 1928, with Harold Lloyd
Walking Back - 1928, with Sue Caroll

The release of the Harold Lloyd box set last year was something I had been awaiting for a long time!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
ClayBob said:
Is there any place left where a person can go and watch silents on a big screen with live music?

We have them occasionally at the theatre where I work, with original live music scores. This past fall we had a very successful showing of Harold Lloyd's "The Kid Brother," in a lovely 35mm print from UCLA, and later this year we're hoping to show Nosferatu, with a live orchestral accompaniment. I'd like to see us do even more of this sort of show, but it's expensive!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Several years ago The Prince Music Theatre in Philadelphia would show silent films with live music. I was introduced to the infamous Alloy Orchestra when they did the score for a showing of The Black Pirate (1926).

I'd heard a lot of negative about the Alloy boys, but I loved them. The Black Pirate really wasn't my type of movie plot-wise, but with the Alloy Orchestra it had me on the edge of my seat. The movie really came to life with them.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
My local restored 1930 movie palace (the Peekskill Paramount) just showed Keaton's "Sherlock, Jr." with live music by a chamber-jazz group a couple of weeks ago, so it does occasionally happen.

Alas, I must sheepishly admit that I didn't go - because I've seen this film dozens of times (starting at NYC's long-gone Elgin revial house in 1975!), as it's my favorite Keaton feature, and I have a very nice VHS tape of it from AMC (back when they were a useful station and had no commercials!) who ran a full day of Keaton films on his 100th birthday anniversary back in the 90s.

(BTW, I have a very nice selection of silent comedies on Super 8 and 16mm film - Keaton, Lloyd, Chaplin, Chase, Laurel & Hardy - yeah, I'm one of those old-school film collectors who was into it long before home video existed...)

Hondo

One Too Many
jazzzbaby said:
German director G.W. Pabst's Pandora's Box is my all time favorite ~
and I do have to say that most of my favorites were filmed by German
directors..... The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Golem, Nosferatu, the Vampire,
Faust , The Diary of a Lost Girl, Metropolis

That a girl! Pandora's Box, which I own, but haven't seen the others except Nosferatu, the Vampire :)

I enjoy comedy, just haven't had the time, its been years since I've seen a good Keaton, Lloyd, Chaplin film, good selection Doc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland