Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zipper experts: Fill us in

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
I'm planning on ordering a Johnson Leathers jacket but I want a heavy nickle (or Aluminum?) zipper with large slider tab, similar to the YKK's Schott uses here.

Can anyone tell what # size the zipper is on the above Schott and also explain how the zipper tooth sizing system works?

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
Jack, the zip used by Johnson as the standard zip is robust and the pull is the paperclip zipper, similar to WWII military jackets and the early sixties G-1 jackets. It is a nice zipper. If you don't want that, just send Alan a picture of what you want, and he should be able to match it fairly close.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Talon and YKK zippers will have a number on the back of the slider that tells you the size. 10 is the largest generally available-- luggage/leahers/sleeping bags. The smallest I've seen is 2, which would work for barbie clothes I think. Most A2s and similar are 5s or 6s.

One more point: the slider is easily replaceable: a kind of staple at the top and bottom prevents it from running off the track, but if you remove the staple, the slider um, slides off. I've taken older Talon sliders and put them on new YKK zippers for authenticity's sake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran