Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A-2 Order Numbers and Contract Numbers

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Why were there two designations for manufacturers' runs on A-2 Jackets? What made the run an "order" and what made it a "contract"?

Andrew will be along shortly to give you a hand mate ;)

Thanks for the email the other week Chris, sorry I haven't replied but I've been running around like a blue arsed fly with my new job. I hope to remedy the lack of email this weekend!

Cheers,

Tim

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is an interesting question. In Gary's book there is a contract document for government contractors to complete and sign. Usually when the US government awarded contracts the maker was given a contract number and an order number or order numbers if multiple orders were placed under the same contract. For example the order no. 1401-P was used for the RW A2 under the AC 20958 contract with RW. This was not always the case though.The first three A2 contracts from 1932-33 were only given order numbers. It may be that the contract numbers have been lost. The first A2 to have a documented contract and an order number was the 1936 Werber.

During the War there were some inconsistencies.Different types of jackets were sometimes made with the same order number.

Aero was given an order in 1942 for B3 and B6 jackets under the same order number: 42-5110-P.

Aero also received an order in 1943 for B3, B6 and AN-J4 jackets under the 43-13616AF order number.
Arnoff Shoe Co was awarded the next order in sequence-43-13617AF at the same time for B3, B6 and AN-J4 jackets.

A little later Poughkeepsie was awarded the 43-16804 order for B6 and AN-J4 jackets and AN-T35 trousers.

Similarly different jackets could be made under the same contract number.There are two examples of B3 and D1 jackets being made under the same contract, the 1941 AC 17755 contract awarded to Aero and the next contract, AC 17756, awarded to RW for B3 and D1 jackets.

It is interesting to note that Aero was awarded a contract for B7 jackets under the 42-15141-P contract and at the same time under the next sequential order number, 42-15142-P, for A2 jackets. Why were they not both given the same order number as was sometimes the case with other Aero orders?

Last edited:

majormajor

One Too Many
My understanding is that a Government Contract was to denote that permission had been granted to a Manufacturer to produce garments for Army use. Or perhaps, a document to denote that permission had been granted to procure orders.

The Order was simply that - an order to buy a specified number of jackets.

Obviously, some early orders were placed without Contracts having been signed. This was, no doubt, tightened up later, and Orders only given to Contracted suppliers.

So, essentially, two documents with tallying numbers. And in a wartime scenario, corners were sometimes cut to allow for the lack of documentation.

andyfalzon

Vendor
I was thinking the exact same thing with majormajor.
It's the only thing that makes sense. The contract no. defines the contract with the gov't
under which the contractor might supply the jackets. After that the military could order from him whenever they liked whatever they needed.
So the order could consist of various items. e.g.
5,000 A-2 jackets,
3,000 B-6 jackets
2,000 AN-J4 jackets

all of the above ordered simultaneously, with the same order, hence the same order no.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Thank you All.

No worries Tim. I figured you were either moving to another corner of the globe or settling into a new job. ;)
It IS fishing season here soon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner