Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Lucky Panama

astaire

One of the Regulars
Like the venerable Art Fawcett and Sharpetoys, I have a really soft spot for a good Panama hat. It gets even softer when it's in an Optime style.

A few days ago, i bought a hat because i wanted the box more than the hat. I won the two items for $6.80. I thought the Dobbs box with the city scene alone could probably be worth more than that.

dobbspanama.jpg

Out of curiousity, i asked the seller to e-mail me a close-up picture of the brim's edge, just to see if it's back-woven or not. To my surprise :eek: , this is what she sent a few minutes ago:

DSCN2822.jpg

I know it's not a montechristi. It most probably is not a fino grade. I'm happy enough that it's a cuenca. What is puzzling me at the moment is the presence of a ring just before the back-weave. Is that a sign of a quality grade?

What do you guys think? Am I close enough to be a "Lucky Dog" with this one?lol

RBH

Bartender
I dont have an answer my friend...

but I am becoming a real fan of the 'Optimo' or classic style of panama hat.
I have one on order from PanamaBob. Its a rollup in the optimo style. I wanted it for a knock-a-round travel straw. But the more I see of the hats I think I may have found a new summer straw.
Please continue to post about this wonderful looking panama. I would love to find more info about it.
P.S. are you going to have it worked on ?
i.e. blocked, cleaned, ect....

by the way thats a cool hat box.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
It is a Cuenca brisa weave. The hats cost a bit more on the streets in Ecuador than what you've paid for both the hat and the box. I'm going to bring up more Optimos next spring to see how they fly.

RBH

Bartender
Panamabob said:
I'm going to bring up more Optimos next spring to see how they fly.

Hey Bob, Im going to suggest that the 'optimo' style will be a big seller for you this coming year.
It is such a classic style and from what I have seen so far it should make a great summer straw.

HOLD ON my friend.....:eusa_clap

astaire

One of the Regulars
Thanks RBH and Panamabob

I was really happy when i saw it has a backweave instead of the stitches.

This hat makes my panama collection to three: two optimoes and one c-crown. The c-crown was bought by a friend who went to Ecuador last year. He bought it for $130. And it's only for the body, no sweatband and ribbon :eusa_doh: But it is incredibly light, smooth, soft, so buttery.

Oh well, I consider that as one of the mistakes I have done before i joined the lounge...[huh]

But yes RBH, I have long been a big fan of the Optimo style on panama hats. Show it to us when you get it from Panamabob!

Anyone care to guess as to how old the box is? That may give me a clue as to approximate the age of the hat. The seller did have a nice Royal Stetson in her collection.

Thanks everyone.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
astaire, with a little work you can turn that c crown into a nice hat. I bought a straw off eBay, that turned out to be just what you have. With time and knowledge from the lounge I now have a new favorite for the hot weather.

From this

rollup.jpg

To this

MVC-499F.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot