Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather choices - FQHH, mid-weight horse or goat

alladin

Familiar Face
Hi,

I am thinking of placing my first order with Aero - 1930 halfbelt in brown leather

What leather would be most appropriate FQHH, mid-weight horse (seal jerky) or goat?

Aero have sent samples, but it's not the same as seeing a full jacket. Does FQHH develop a unique patina that the others don't?

Depends how "manly" you want your jacket. The FQHH is beautiful but very "substantial", and breaking it in is like a Rite of passage. For spring/fall wear go mid-weight. the 30's HB is great in Horsehide!

Last edited:

Cooperson

One Too Many
If you are considering FQHH, you should be aware it will be like wearing a suitcase when it's new and it might be a shock if you've never experienced it. Although very heavy, it will soften and drape when it's well broken in and it does have the most beautiful translucent finish. Some here love it, but others think it's just too heavy for a jacket. I would suggest you somehow get your hands on a jacket to try on and feel it's its weight, even if it isn't the exact size for you.

You will either love it or hate it :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
All three of those choices are great leathers albeit with different characters.

FQHH is substantial but is also one of the most beautiful. Although some don't like the heft of it. I have a Barnstormer in it and personally the weight doesn't worry me in the slightest although it is more restrictive than lighter hides.

Never had anything mid-weight HH from Aero but it always looks good and weight-wise owners seem to say that it's ubercomfortable to wear.

Goat is a great leather, often far more pliable than HH and one of the most hardwearing leathers. Lovely pebbly grain as well. I have an A2 in goat and it's a great leather.

If it was me, from those three choices I'd be narrowing it down to the FQHH or the mid-weight. I reckon those would be the go for an Aero HB, but hey, that's just me ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I think the best bet for a 30s HB is goatskin. Much better drape and much more comfortable than the other leathers. I ended up selling my Chromexcel HB and now I am über happy with my goat jacket.

Rudie's goat Aeros are amazing. He has a good point. I also think that Cooperson's 30's HB is incredible. They are very different kinds of jackets. I think trying on if at all possible is the way to go. I had a FQHH 30's HB, and within an hour I knew it wasn't for me. But, I live in LA.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I was going for the slim fit premier, I'd probably go a mid-weight leather. If it's the standard HB, I'd be tempted to go with the FQHH, it develops a character all of its own and the break-in phase is never as arduous as people make out.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Not to stir the pot, but the tumbled FQHH is "pre-broken in" and will accelerate the process of softening the jacket. It also has more color variation. The good news is that whatever you choose you're going to have a terrific jacket. I have a half belt in goat and it's really great leather, just different.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If you're going for tumbled, I recommend the cordovan Aero has at the moment. My Board Racer has amazing grain and colour, and yes, it is softer than the full-fat stuff.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I noted you are in London; hence I doubt that Thurston in Seattle would be a viable option for you. However, it is my understanding that Aero now has a new and improved Italian mid-weight horsehide. My Aero collection is:

1. Teamster in brown chrome tanned FQHH
2. Mulligan in brown MWHH (veg tanned I think)
3. Maxwell in black veg tanned goatskin
4. Pioneer in dark brown goatskin
5. Bronco A-2 in russet veg tanned MWHH

Honestly, I am hard pressed to name a favorite since all are unique. I love my FQHH Teamster with moleskin body shell lining that is my go to cold and foul weather coat. I am also particularly partial to my black goatskin Maxwell. The long and the short of it is that one or two jackets is simply not sufficient; so you need to prepare your wardrobe for a minimum of at least three. Since London is not too far from Galashiels, you owe it to yourself to make the trip ASAP so that you can begin to provide resolution to your dilemma. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fanch is right. No matter what you choose, within months, possibly days, you'll find yourself wondering back to the site, perusing the other jackets and speccing up your next one... This is an addictive pursuit!

schitzo

Suspended
Well bear in mind that if you go with FQHH packing it in your suitcase to take somewhere could cause it to shrink! I thought I was careful, but it happened to me. Apparently.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?79713-shrinking-aero-anyone

Were I in your shoes reckon I'd fork out the extra dollars for the Italian veg tanned HH Insurrection has.

Or go with the veg tanned black goatskin, which will look and feel great on your back from the off.

Another option would be to get a Westfall from Bill Kelso in their Liberty Horsehide. That'd probably be quicker, and I think cheaper than the Insurrection route

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Given Jeff M's recent experience, 16 months for a duff A-2, I think the waiting time for a BK is at best extremely elastic. And you'd have to be mad to go through Insurrection if you live in London - I'd email Aero and ask them about the availability of the Italian hides for the UK.

schitzo

Suspended
Sloane, are you announcing that Italian HH is now available directly through aero? Given the popularity of a leather first touted by BK I suppose that would make sense.

I think Jeff M's case was an exception, wouldn't you say? Like aero taking five (that's one two three four FIVE) goes to get Cooperson's 30s HB right. Remember that thread? If you've forgotten it I could probably dig it out for you..

pauleway

Practically Family
I think the best bet for a 30s HB is goatskin. Much better drape and much more comfortable than the other leathers. I ended up selling my Chromexcel HB and now I am über happy with my goat jacket.

I agree with Rudie, go with the goat!

Peacoat

Bartender
There have been many comments about the heaviness and stiffness of Aero's FQHH. I just don't see it. It is only a 3 oz. leather. Sure it is stiff out of the box and stands on its own, but doesn't take long to break in. I got my latest Aero in FQHH 2 1/2 weeks ago on a Friday. By Saturday or Sunday the jacket was comfortable to wear. All I did was wear it quite a bit and knead the leather a few times. It got comfortable very quickly. It has now developed a little graining and a little marbling, and it is only two weeks old.

So, the Aero FQHH isn't the beast to break in that many make it out to be. Nor is it heavy to wear. I mean it is only a 3 oz. leather. My size 44 weighs 4 1/2 pounds. That is light. I have had some leathers that are very beastly to break in (4 to 4 1/2 oz.), but the Aero FQHH isn't one of them. If that is your choice of leather, buy it without reservation. You will love the grain that pops out after a few months of wearing. PC.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mid-weight all the way. The FQHH is 3.0z thick - not all that period accurate - they generally used lighter hides in the old days and heavy hide is not as versatile or comfortable as lighter hide. I get nothing heavier that 2.5oz which I have come to after 30 years of collecting and handling leathers. Goat is great because it is really tough and light.

You simply don't need the FQHH unless you're on a bike. And it's not just about it being Horween horse. I find steer and cowhide at that thickness by the other tanneires as unappealing, even when soft and flexible. Sure, you can wear thick hides and enjoy their looks, that's fine, but you don't have to and you may well find as I do that lighter is more comfortable and enjoyable.

And remember heavier hides don't keep you warmer in winter - it's the layering or the lining that accomplishes that task.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
No experience with any Aero hide other than FQHH, but comparing it to lighter goatskin and horsehide jackets I've owned, I'd say the goat is the most "wear and forget" leather. Meaning, you'll have it on and not be thinking too much about it. With heavy FQHH, it will be on your mind much of the time when you have it on. But it will also keep you pleasantly occupied, as you'll always be thinking about the jacket eventually breaking in, and how it will patina/look, which is kind of an added value and source of entertainment rather than a drawback in my book. Be sure to really ask yourself if you can live with the weight. They're pretty heavy and initially very stiff jackets. This is both a positive and negative characteristic, depending really on your preference. I find my preference changing to wishing I'd opted for a lighter leather (currently own a Horween steerhide jacket) and back again to loving the heavier stuff. You might really need two, one heavy and one lighter, for the full range of wear. The lighter jackets might have the upper hand on practicality.

One minor thing to ask yourself is whether you prefer a shiny or more matte leather. The FQHH can be pretty shiny at first. Pictures here show it aging really well over time, but the shine is definitely there at first. I don't know if it will get as matte as a naked cowhide jacket for instance. Biggest plus with the FQHH is the dramatic patina. If you're a visually stimulated person, absolutely, Horween FQHH is one of if not the best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner