Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero leather choices - FQHH, mid-weight horse or goat

alladin

Familiar Face
I may go for FQHH or mid-weight jerky seal HH.

In terms of the best material for sleeves - Aero seems to suggets cotton drill.

Should I opt for sateen?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I may go for FQHH or mid-weight jerky seal HH.

In terms of the best material for sleeves - Aero seems to suggets cotton drill.

Should I opt for sateen?

I have corduroy sleeve lining in my Highwayman-- it's the bomb. It's thick, feels very luxurious and is plain nice. So soft and looks gorgeous. I reckon it's probably not for everybody, though. Combined with Aero's steerhide makes for very thick, stiff sleeves.

Edward

Bartender
I've never had the "grabby" problem some complain of with cotton lined sleeves. Satin has the down side that it can get sweaty very quickly (thinking of my Summer leather here, a Wested Raiders in goat). All personal preference, but I'd stay away from anything heavier than cotton if you don't intend it for real cold weather wear. The tartan wool and ymoleskinsleeve lining in my Bootlegger definitely make a significant difference in temperatures in which it can be worn over another Aero halfbelt in the same size.

wdw

One Too Many
Edward, I think the grabby cotton lining is a thing of the past. I had that and didn't like it, but they've gone for smoother cotton now and your arms slide in easily. I wouldn't do satin.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Edward, I think the grabby cotton lining is a thing of the past. I had that and didn't like it, but they've gone for smoother cotton now and your arms slide in easily. I wouldn't do satin.

+1 with WDW's point of view. In fact I prefer Aero's new and improved cotton drill for sleeves and body shell, although I live in a warm climate (most of the time). Quality control on my last 3-4 Aero jackets has been outstanding.

Edward

Bartender
I went for the drill in bright red on my Dustbowl; looks supetb against the black hide. The old b10 shell cloth made an amazing lining too, but I doubt that's an option since they stopped doing their b10.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My Barnstormer is completely lined in the cotton drill and I have to say that I love it. Not grabby in the slightest and comfortable to wear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd stick with cotton. The sleeves on my lhb are a little grabby - it was made just after the old regime had gone and used the old lining - but I just hold the cuffs on my jumper sleeves when I pull it on. The sateen on my board racer's fine, but can get pretty warm if the sun comes out with any enthusiasm.

repo

Familiar Face
I have corduroy sleeve lining in my Highwayman-- it's the bomb. It's thick, feels very luxurious and is plain nice. So soft and looks gorgeous. I reckon it's probably not for everybody, though. Combined with Aero's steerhide makes for very thick, stiff sleeves.

I have corduroy sleeves in a Longshoreman - I thought it would just be cotton so was a bit surprised but I agree that it feels luxurious and warm. Although, the jacket is the softer vintage FQHH and I usually only wear a shirt. Can't say I've had any problems with the cotton sleeves but guess I don't often wear jumpers. I didn't know there was a new type available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters