Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Leather Deerskin. Anyone had a jacket made in the stuff?

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
I have a sample of their lovely Deerskin ("it's NOT deerskin, it just looks like deerskin!") and am looking into having a jacket made in it.

Just wondered if anyone has been there and done that and can give a review of how it holds up?

Edward

Bartender
I can only help with a 'bump' here too.... I've uhmmed and ahed over this one ofr some time - not so sure about the colour initially, but it has grown on me. I'd be very keen to have a nice, Summer-weight leather. Did consider a lamb jacket briefly, but having handled some in the past I know they would never stand up to my wearing. This could just be what I need. Must get a sample....

FWIW, I started a thread on this when Aero first introduced that hide, but never got any responses. I'd be curious to know how many Aero have made. How does your sample feel in terms of durability? In particular, I'd be curious to compare it to Aero's goat. I have one of their goat A2s as well as an Aero AN6552 in goat, and that is a superb light-but-strong hide.

Not keen on the color, but deer or elk or moose skin is surprisingly tough, given how soft and pliable it is.
I've got some western boots made of elk, and I love them. Zero break-in time. Just not crazy about the cream color...

SGB

One of the Regulars
I had one made for my wife when they first came out with this hide, about 8 years ago. It was much more yellow then, not so creamy. It's an excellent soft hide, has a nice feel to it and looks great. Don't forget, it's NOT deerskin.
Unfortunately we moved to stinkin' hot AZ right after we got the jacket, so it's never been worn.

I had one made for my wife when they first came out with this hide, about 8 years ago. It was much more yellow then, not so creamy. It's an excellent soft hide, has a nice feel to it and looks great. Don't forget, it's NOT deerskin.
Unfortunately we moved to stinkin' hot AZ right after we got the jacket, so it's never been worn.

If it's not deerskin, what is it? Oh, tag says HH. Hmmm.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Thanks for all the input fellas.

I'd agree that it's exactly the same weight as their mid weight HH and is no doubt simply horse hide (or cow/steer hide) tanned to a shade common to Deerskin.

It does feel strong and durable but may show some marks and stains due to it's light colour.

I'm defiantly going for a jacket made from it once we've ironed out some final details.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Thought I'd follow up on this thread I kicked off nearly a year ago.

Aero made me the jacket I wanted out of their Deerskin. It was finished late summer 2011. I've worn it a lot since as you can see in the shots.

007.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Tony B

One of the Regulars
I like the colour but one question, is it the the deer tanned cowhide that they do the summer riding jacket in or is it the real deerskin that they use for the ironheart shirts.

If it is the real deer could you let me know what it cost please. I have an long halfbelt (not aero) in smoked braintanned buckskin (suede side out deer)which is the most gorgeous hide I have ever seen but but the tailoring is a bit off, I keep meaning to try doing something with it but never get round to it.

I was going to ask aero what a well made one would cost but talking to Will he told me what they pay for their deer so I didn't dare ask.

The button front and pocket flaps work nicely with that skin as well.

Regards Tony

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
It's the same stuff as they use on the Summer Half Belt... quote from website. "no photo could do this hide justice, the leather has to be touched to be believed.

It's butter soft yet substantial and most importantly this leather will not suffer from deerskin rot in 20 years time, we expect Aero jackets to last much longer than that!

This has got to be one of the most beautiful and comfortable jackets we can ever remember Aero making. Please ask to be sent a cutting to appreciate fully just how great this leather really is. But please remember, it's NOT deerskin, it just looks like deerskin!"

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Thanks .. the reason I was asking is that they do have real deer as well but the cost is massive...2-2.5 times the price of their FQHH. so I dread to think what a jacket would cost in the stuff.

If I wanted leather side out the stuff used on your jacket would be perfect...probably better than real deer ...but being an awkward sod I like the suede side of deerskin and there aint any cheap alternative for that, nubuck is nice but just not the same.

Edward

Bartender
Thought I'd follow up on this thread I kicked off nearly a year ago.

Aero made me the jacket I wanted out of their Deerskin. It was finished late summer 2011. I've worn it a lot since as you can see in the shots.

007.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Great looking jacket, what's it based on? Looks sort of like an A1 with an A2 collar. The hide has also aged nicely, which was a concern I had.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yeah looks like an a1/fonzie/highwayman-hybrid :D

Great choice of jacket style for this hide. How is the berry tartan holding up? - Im using it in my next jacket.

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the positive comments.

After talking to Will at Aero we decided to use an A2 as the base. He was very helpful and keen to achieve exactly what I after. Most details are taken from Aero's 2003 LVC collaboration called Beat Brown. I liked that jacket a lot but thought it could be improved on for my taste.

The Berry lining is faultless and still perfect. I can recommend it fully along with the Deerskin.

CeeDee

New in Town
Great looking jacket! Didn't think I'd like a lighter color jacket, but after seeing this jacket, I think I'm going to have to reconsider. Cheers! Again, great jacket!

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
Looking at the colour on my computer screen I'd say it's about the same in real life. The colour on the website is very pale, I think they mention that.

I asked Aero for a sample and was instantly impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran