Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Natural CXL HH J-106/KotR/Indian Mix Biker Jacket

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Just caught up on this thread. Wow, this should be the before and after shot anytime anyone asks about how CXL breaks in. It's the perfect example of leather not "stretching" but laying flatter and becoming more pliable. And definitely gives people a light at the end of the tunnel that the CXL will fit better with time and wears.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Howdy folks,

Here's a photo a street photographer snapped of me 3 weeks ago:

334653316_122821830587923_5002332665896048330_n(1).jpg

View attachment 2023-03 - Joris Šatūnas - 1249 - Vilnius Cowboy-squashed.jpg

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Looking sharp, @Feliksas . I would love to see the evolution of this jacket in color.
Trying to get a photo from the photographer, but in the meantime, here's me at the barbershop over a year ago, and then 2 photos from May 2022, showing the break-in and wear. The jacket is much darker, as you can see, super soft, and heavily creased.

IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1921-squashed.jpg

IMG_1922-squashed.jpg

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
I usually wear a backpack, so you can see the darkening where the straps touch the jacket; also, there are "wing" creases on the back panel from the leather bunching under the pack.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Howdy folks,

Here's a photo a street photographer snapped of me 3 weeks ago:

View attachment 504248

View attachment 504247
This really has to be one of the best photos ever posted to FL. The jacket evolution is of course amazing, and it's interesting to see (as I have noted on most of my jackets as well) that one sleeve develops more varied creasing than the other. However in this case, the hat, the expression, scarf and background along with the shadowing effect of the black & white image just really bring it all together. The street photographer had a great eye (and nice they shared it with you too).

On edit - just noticed that you still have the original #5 Talon zipper - that's pretty surprising.

If you ever consider a leather, or leather & canvas backpack, that might go well with your travel attire. I've considered a Saddleback pack a few time's, but never actually gone for it yet. Keep on exploring!

Last edited:

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
This really has to be one of the best photos ever posted to FL. The jacket evolution is of course amazing, and it's interesting to see (as I have noted on most of my jackets as well) that one sleeve develops more varied creasing than the other. However in this case, the hat, the expression, scarf and background along with the shadowing effect of the black & white image just really bring it all together. The street photographer had a great eye (and nice they shared it with you too).

On edit - just noticed that you still have the original #5 Talon zipper - that's pretty surprising.

If you ever consider a leather, or leather & canvas backpack, that might go well with your travel attire. I've considered a Saddleback pack a few time's, but never actually gone for it yet. Keep on exploring!

Interestingly enough, I had to get the zipper replaced a year or two ago--I used to be heavier during covid, and I suppose their was tension at the bottom, but the stitching came out and it was impossible to seat the zipper into the pull. Do they not have them anymore? Also, #thanksEU, had to pay duty on the repairs when the jacket was sent back :D

Other than that, I had to have the bottom of the tartan lining replaced with cotton drill, since my trousers and belt were tearing it to shreds, and even higher up, at the shoulders, the tartan is tearing. Not sure that there's a solution for this...I wear the jacket 8 months of the year, with heavy backpacks, carrying things in the woods, etc, so it is what it is.

Regarding backpacks--coming from the infantry, I can't have fashion backpacks :D Even the jacket, I could only justify the fashion aspect of it because it's actually a jacket you can beat the heck out of and use "at work" in the woods etc. Initially I was stressed out about the creases forming on the back because of daily backpack wear, but as the jacket aged, I thought, the heck with it--it's just another aspect of the leather's "personality."

Finally--it's darker than I hoped, I suppose, years in--all natural cxl turns chestnut with time. On my Type III (I'll post pictures one day), I opted to get it in unfinished horse hide and to finish it myself with neatsfoot oil and beeswax. It's a years long process, but now the formerly pinkish leather is turning the golden tan that's impossible to buy (or maintain if it's bought in tan already).

Thanks for all the feedback! Happy to be part of the Aero club, and to share how my relationship with this jacket is going ;)

Edit: Re: the street photographer, the photo was taken unbeknownst to me--I'm a school teacher, and my Grade 12 class students saw the picture on Instagram and alerted me to it yesterday :D

-F

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. I would say a Lost Worlds J23 might suit you very well someday. That 4+ Oz Horse Stuart uses takes a lot to break in...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That’s a great looking jacket, fit for walking the red carpet!
And good on you for wearing it like it was meant to be, day in and day out.

LukeST

New in Town
Interestingly enough, I had to get the zipper replaced a year or two ago--I used to be heavier during covid, and I suppose their was tension at the bottom, but the stitching came out and it was impossible to seat the zipper into the pull. Do they not have them anymore? Also, #thanksEU, had to pay duty on the repairs when the jacket was sent back :D

Other than that, I had to have the bottom of the tartan lining replaced with cotton drill, since my trousers and belt were tearing it to shreds, and even higher up, at the shoulders, the tartan is tearing. Not sure that there's a solution for this...I wear the jacket 8 months of the year, with heavy backpacks, carrying things in the woods, etc, so it is what it is.

Regarding backpacks--coming from the infantry, I can't have fashion backpacks :D Even the jacket, I could only justify the fashion aspect of it because it's actually a jacket you can beat the heck out of and use "at work" in the woods etc. Initially I was stressed out about the creases forming on the back because of daily backpack wear, but as the jacket aged, I thought, the heck with it--it's just another aspect of the leather's "personality."

Finally--it's darker than I hoped, I suppose, years in--all natural cxl turns chestnut with time. On my Type III (I'll post pictures one day), I opted to get it in unfinished horse hide and to finish it myself with neatsfoot oil and beeswax. It's a years long process, but now the formerly pinkish leather is turning the golden tan that's impossible to buy (or maintain if it's bought in tan already).

Thanks for all the feedback! Happy to be part of the Aero club, and to share how my relationship with this jacket is going ;)

Edit: Re: the street photographer, the photo was taken unbeknownst to me--I'm a school teacher, and my Grade 12 class students saw the picture on Instagram and alerted me to it yesterday :D

-F
Hell yes on the Type III pictures when you get the chance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner