Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Fed IV is actually slightly taller with 5 5/8ths open crown height, to the Adventurer's 5 1/2, which also has a wider brim at 3 1/8 by 2 3/4 dimensional cut. It's also a different block.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I personally like the look of the Federations better than the Adventurers. Though, I've seen some sharp looking Adventurer wearers on here.

In photos I've seen the Adventurer seems to have slightly more taper.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
There are several other differences:

The Federation IV is available in both standard (Imperial Quality) and premium (Heritage Collection) felt, which HatsDirect calls the Fed IV Deluxe, whereas the Adventurer is available in standard felt only. All Heritage Collection Akubras have a softer, wider sweatband, as well.

In addition, the Fed can be had in several different colors--although you might have to wait a while on some--while the Adventurer only comes in what DM terms mid-brown, but I would call a dark brown.

You can special-order a different color hatband for your Fed from HatsDirect, too. DM's Adventurer comes with a dark brown sweat matching the felt.

Personally, I much prefer the Fed, not because it's a pretty faithful ditto of the Indiana Jones fedora (my bash looks nothing like it), but rather because I like the overall style, the option of the Moonstone color, and the premium felt and sweat.

The Adventurer is a fine hat, though. With a very wide brim and a fairly large 3/8-inch difference between the sides and front/back, it makes a dramatic headdress on all but the largest heads atop big men.

I'm not sure why David Morgan replaced its Explorer with the Adventurer a couple years ago. The Explorer was truer to the Indy, and more conservative, having the same color and 5 1/2-inch open crown, but a 2 7/8 X 2 5/8 dimensional brim, and a slightly narrower 1 3/8-inch hatband.

You might be able to find a pre-owned, formerly known as "used," Explorer as another affordable option.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
hat band color?

i thought hats direct does not alter those options. i emailed them about that, they replied:

All styles of Akubra are true to their style- no modifications.
Changes to ribbon come with the style.
Ofcourse you could take your hat to a custom maker and arrange some changes.
Modifications instore are only to do with the shaping and steaming.
We do not have the facilities to alter brim widths.

has anyone here actually ordered/requested a different color band and received it..on the fed or any other akubra hat?

Goose.

Practically Family
Edw8ri said:
What is the difference between the Adventurer and the Federation? Thanks.
About $63 if you went for the Federation IV Deluxe

Here's the pricing I just did. Due to flucuations in exchange rate, your mileage may vary.

All prices from their respective web sites including shipping:

Adventurer $133

FED IV $133.62

FED IV Deluxe $196.35

I don't have an Adventurer. But I have Standard and Deluxe Fed IV lids...

572500239_FXpvz-S.jpg

backpacker416

Familiar Face
Hey guys and gals, got a few questions for you about getting an Akubra. First I notice that David Morgan seems to be the main US importer for these, and all/most have chin strap hooks. While looking through the net, looks like most for sale in Australia dont have these and alot are unlined? Id love a hat without both. Also, who would you recommend as the fastest and best stockist? I remember reading on one site that people were raving about how fast they were getting there hats. Thanks and Im sorry if this has been asked before. :)

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you can get a stocked hat from hatdirect or everythingaustralian.com.au it usually doesn't take more than a week or two to receive it. The chin strap grommets on the David Morgan hats aren't terribly visible and a US based shipper would be the fastest option. Liners can be removed so I wouldn't worry if the hat you like has a liner. You can just carefully pull it out as they're normally lightly glued in. Ebay isn't a bad option either as there are many hats that are new or have received very little use available there.

I've bought from DM, EA & Hats Direct, all good sources.
They each have colors of some models the other one doesn't like David Morgan has some special models too.
Hats Direct is only source for Heritage Campdrafts & both models of Federation IV.

(Oops - forgot about my Bushman!)

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've ordered from Hats Direct and David Morgan both and had good service from both. The shipping is a lot higher on Hats Direct because it comes further, and that also makes returns expensive if anything is wrong. But Hats D has a lot more models to offer. The shipping from David M has always been significantly faster, naturally.

backpacker416

Familiar Face
Alright, Im confused. I just came across two more hats that I like from Akubra, the Jackaroo, and the Silver Spur. Found them on other sites but not on Akubra's site. I dont get it. Are these new or discontinued styles? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko