Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone own a green or sage fur felt fedora? I was perusing the magazine scans the other day and saw how often a green fedora popped up... so if anyone has one, how do they like it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a green MacLachlan fur felt, which is a very nice quality, thick felt, but I find myself not choosing it that much. Partly it's also because the hat has a high crown and I'm having a hard time getting it shaped into a style I like to wear a lot; I use it as a rain hat. All in all, I choose a green hat less than the other colors. I guess I prefer brown and silverbelly (gray to me is not so versatile except for blue wear). Most of the extensive use of green hats I see on TFL are combined with casual clothes, i.e. the bluegrass color Campdraft.

T Rick

Practically Family
Does anyone own a green or sage fur felt fedora? I was perusing the magazine scans the other day and saw how often a green fedora popped up... so if anyone has one, how do they like it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Love my Bluegrass Green Camp Draft, but it won't be my last green hat. There are "a few" here on the Lounge. Check out this little old 32 page thread, entitled The Green Machine.

johnnycanuck

I do. I got a sage green Art made fedora from my wife on my birthday last year. I find it a great colour as it goes with browns and blacks. So it does not matter what jacket or shoes I wear, it always matches. Here is a picture or it with my other VS hats so you can see the colour comparison.

5.jpg

Left to right Granite, natural, Blue smoke, sage green.

Johnny

Lloyd

A-List Customer
I've got 5 green hats and 4 of them get worn regularly. My favorite is my forest green VS
Here's the forest along side a Dark Moss, also from Art
VSforestJune12010wdarkmoss.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I've been searching for about 20 minutes and I can't find that plastic hat carrier that one of the loungers found. It was the one with the flat part for the brim and the rounded part for the crown with the built-in handle. I just saw an Orthodox Jew carrying one in O'Hare airport as I was coming back from Washington D.C. last week. I need to get one.

Does anyone remember where that hat carrier was being sold?

Neophyte

Is anyone familiar with the Hopkins Baltimore company? I've tried to find as much info as I can on them, but haven't found much, aside from this article.

I suspected that the company is not called Hopkins Baltimore, but rather Hopkins of Baltimore, MD. Using this as a guide, I found several articles referring to straw/panama hats being sold by a company called Brigham-Hopkins Co., whose business was in Baltimore.

Would you mind posting a picture of the inside of your hat sometime? I'd like to see the logo here to help in the search.

Anyway, regarding the Brigham-Hopkins Co.---

--according to the Maryland Historical Society (article found here):

"M.S. Levy and Sons merged with the New England Panama Hat Company and Brigham Hopkins Co. in 1939, operating under the name of Men's Hats, Inc.. The business was prominent in both the straw and felt hat market.

The Levy's retired from the hat industry in 1959, and in 1964, Men's Hats, Inc. closed its doors permanently.
"

ALSO, in some scans of a May 20, 1940 issue of LIFE (here's a link, the page you're looking for is page 80), there is an add for a panama hat by Brigham-Hopkins that looks similar to the logo in your hat, I think.

Last edited:

Neophyte

Can someone lead me to the thread that had the best places to buy a newsboy cap?

Brian

Well, you may or may not have noticed the Hat People link at the top of the page, under the logo of the Lounge. Hat People and B!Wear Caps are the two I've heard the most about, and what I've heard is pretty positive. I actually have a Hat People newsboy coming to me in the mail.

Alex

Practically Family
I suspected that the company is not called Hopkins Baltimore, but rather Hopkins of Baltimore, MD. Using this as a guide, I found several articles referring to straw/panama hats being sold by a company called Brigham-Hopkins Co., whose business was in Baltimore.

Would you mind posting a picture of the inside of your hat sometime? I'd like to see the logo here to help in the search.

Anyway, regarding the Brigham-Hopkins Co.---

--according to the Maryland Historical Society (article found here):

ALSO, in some scans of a May 20, 1940 issue of LIFE (here's a link, the page you're looking for is page 80), there is an add for a panama hat by Brigham-Hopkins that looks similar to the logo in your hat, I think.

Thanks for your help Neophyte. That was an interesting link too. The logo in that add looks pretty much the same as mine. I'm just trying to figure out a good estimate of the date of my straw.

Here's a post I made about it that I wasn't getting any answers from. I can be a bit impatient sometimes:p

Hopkins Baltimore

Neophyte

Thanks for your help Neophyte. That was an interesting link too. The logo in that add looks pretty much the same as mine. I'm just trying to figure out a good estimate of the date of my straw.

Here's a post I made about it that I wasn't getting any answers from. I can be a bit impatient sometimes:p

Hopkins Baltimore

No problem. Information retrieval is one of my leisure activities. I'm now absolutely certain now that your hat is from the Brigham-Hopkins company, probably sold under the Men's Hats, Inc. Notice that the shield held by the two creatures in the logo depicts the letters H and B, one imposed on the other.
Since that business closed in 1964, I'm sure it's pre-60's or early 60's. I don't know enough about hats after that to make a better guess. It's an awesome straw with a snazzy pug, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred