Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a hat brush? I don't have one yet, but have been thinking of getting this one from Miller.

I have 2 brushes just like those, one for dark colored hats, one for lighter colors. They are very useful. I don't recall paying that much for both of mine, let alone a piece. Look at western apparell websites. They seem to have better prices on hat accessories. http://www.rods.com/Brim-Brushes,1126.html

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on a hat brush? I don't have one yet, but have been thinking of getting this one from Miller.

Funny how times have changed. back in 1959 when my father took me to Peters Bros. to get my first hat ( a Silverbelly Cattleman creased stiff brimed Western ) they provided a hat brush with the first purchase :) I still have it along with the brushes my father used with his hats. I also purchsed one back when I got my first Bushman from David Morgan back in 1972. It just goes that you should get a brush with that FIRST hat and then you are ready for life :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny how times have changed. back in 1959 when my father took me to Peters Bros. to get my first hat ( a Silverbelly Cattleman creased stiff brimed Western ) they provided a hat brush with the first purchase :) I still have it along with the brushes my father used with his hats. I also purchsed one back when I got my first Bushman from David Morgan back in 1972. It just goes that you should get a brush with that FIRST hat and then you are ready for life :)

Speaking of Peters Bros, Monbla, I'm thinking about attending the FedoraFest this year in March. One of the things they've been talking about doing is a visit to PB. Will your western be there getting fixed up?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of Peters Bros, Monbla, I'm thinking about attending the FedoraFest this year in March. One of the things they've been talking about doing is a visit to PB. Will your western be there getting fixed up?

I wish I could be here to meet you but it looks like I will be up in Seattle at that time and I'll probably be wearing it there ! I have two grandaughters I have not seen in over two years now and an 8 mo grandson I have not yet held in my arms :) 'fraid they will take precedence over ANY meeting of old men wearing hats :) BTW, it will probably cost you LESS to fly here than what I'll be paying to fly to Seattle. It is not cheap to get up there which is why I don't get there often. I'll also be taking my 86 yo mother with me so that she can see her great grandchildren !! Hope you have a good time and take a look at a Shady Oaks Amon Carter in beaver, it will take your breath away :) ( and put a sizeable hole in your wallet at around $800.00 :) )

Neophyte

Hope you have a good time and take a look at a Shady Oaks Amon Carter in beaver, it will take your breath away :) ( and put a sizeable hole in your wallet at around $800.00 :).

To you as well, Monbla :). I wish my wallet even had that much ground to dig an $800 hole in lol!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
To you as well, Monbla :). I wish my wallet even had that much ground to dig an $800 hole in lol!

I DO understand, but DO ask to see one. They are probably the ONLY modern made hat that comes close if not equalling the older Stetson 100's . And the Amon Carter is a version they made for the Ft. Worth oilman/publisher Amon Carter which is slightly larger than the OR it was patterned after. It is a GEORGEOUS hat.

danofarlington

I DO understand, but DO ask to see one. They are probably the ONLY modern made hat that comes close if not equalling the older Stetson 100's . And the Amon Carter is a version they made for the Ft. Worth oilman/publisher Amon Carter which is slightly larger than the OR it was patterned after. It is a GEORGEOUS hat.

Is that Peters Brothers Shady Oaks Amon Carter beaver hat a stiff hat like modern Open Roads?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is that Peters Brothers Shady Oaks Amon Carter beaver hat a stiff hat like modern Open Roads?

It is stiffer than a 1950's OR for sure but not as stiff as a modern 3x Resistol or Stetson western. It has a BEAUTIFUL finish to the felt and feels much softer than standard production western hats. It IS a Western hat, not a soft Borso fedora so should NOT be compared softness wise to a 1950's OR. It compares to the older Stetson 100's which were Western hats :) 'Fraid if you want an OR styled hat like those of the 1950s you will need to get a 1950s OR :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I thought a Stetson 100 was just a classy beaver version of the OR. Is that not true?

This is the first place where I saw an OR refered to as a "fedora" type of hat. All my life that I can recall, an OR was a "dress western" and the "100" was Stetson's top of the line dress western. But hey, I live in Texas and we are not "up" on all this hat stuff :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
IMO, Open Road is a model name. If it's not marked as such, it's not an OR. Others say that a Stetson hat, without about the right dimensions (as they tend to vary) can also be called an OR.

100 is a quality designation. 100s came in western, OR-style or, probably, anything else you wanted to order from Stetson - it was, after all, the top of the line. Though there are many in the OR style, there are no 100s that are marked as ORs, tending to support the diluted OR position.

RBH

Bartender
This is the first place where I saw an OR refered to as a "fedora" type of hat. All my life that I can recall, an OR was a "dress western" and the "100" was Stetson's top of the line dress western. But hey, I live in Texas and we are not "up" on all this hat stuff :)

Some in Texas thought the Open Road was a fedora.
This Open Road ad was from 02-04-1949.
In El Paso Texas.

49or.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Those ads sport every kind of brim flanging over the years and quite a few crown creases. Its Western and a Fedora--even a Cattlemen is technically a Fedora/center crease.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Some in Texas thought the Open Road was a fedora.
This Open Road ad was from 02-04-1949.
In El Paso Texas.

49or.jpg

I'm so sorry ! I missed seeing that ad when I was 2 yo :) And to think for all these years my father and all his friends and hat depts lied to me about the OR :)
I'm so thankful for getting set straight about this :)

Chinaski

One Too Many
To summarize, I'd like to ask another question. Is it correct to say that the word fedora, as used by hat manufacturers, retailers and customers, encompasses most brimmed hats, and that these can be found in numerous combinations of styles and qualities?

That's a pretty general question, but it seems some would posit western hats as separate from fedora hats, and others would say they are both different styles of fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic