Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Just offering some possible options.

This place has taken a turn to crazy town. One can't even offer an opinion or suggestion without getting bashed like a cheap hat.

No wonder people leave and never return.

Wow! I wasn’t trying to “bash” anyone, certainly not you. It just wasn’t accurate and I commented. I get corrected all the time here, and while I don’t always like it it helps me to continue to learn.

I sincerely apologize if my post came across as rude, it was not my intention.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Adding to Brent’s point above, those adjustable sweatbands pop up here and there, mostly in pre-40s hats and then again in the late 50s, early 60s. I say mostly, because every now and again an exception pops up and proves our absolute conclusions less absolute.

You can always email Stetson with some pictures and see if the have a clue.

You don't see many Stetson hats with adjustable sweatbands.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I added a couple extra pictures in a previous reply, but unfortunately there isn't any other tags or markings on the inside if the sweatband. It seems everybody is as stumped as I am. I can only assume it is a rare hat if that's the case.
Yes, I saw the extra pictures, but I wanted pictures of the crown of the hat, front, side and top, because I have never seen a Stetson 300, and because I would like to make you an offer, if you're going to sell it.
Sometimes sellers accept my offers.

StephenMcNally

New in Town
Yes, I saw the extra pictures, but I wanted pictures of the crown of the hat, front, side and top, because I have never seen a Stetson 300, and because I would like to make you an offer, if you're going to sell it.
Sometimes sellers accept my offers.
I will take some more detailed photos for you as soon as I can, and try to use a lighter back drop. If you want hunt me down on Fb and we can continue this conversation same name as above

SteveFord

A-List Customer
I went onto Steton's site a while back as I had a question about a hat model and there, in their FAQ Section is:

I HAVE ACQUIRED A VINTAGE STETSON HAT AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE INFORMATION ABOUT IT
ANSWER

Stetson has been around since 1865; therefore it is very difficult to provide information such as worth, age, or style name for vintage items.

Over the years, many people have used the internet to better identify their Stetson. There have also been many books written about the Stetson hat over the years. We recommend you look into such resources to answer your questions.

For example:
Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company by Jeffrey B. Snyder
Hat Talk by Debbie Henderson
 Cowboys & Hatters: Bond Street, Sagebrush, & The Silver Screen by Debbie Henderson
------------------
In other words, we have no idea, we used to make hats, now we are a marketing company.

I went onto Steton's site a while back as I had a question about a hat model and there, in their FAQ Section is:

I HAVE ACQUIRED A VINTAGE STETSON HAT AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE INFORMATION ABOUT IT
ANSWER

Stetson has been around since 1865; therefore it is very difficult to provide information such as worth, age, or style name for vintage items.

Over the years, many people have used the internet to better identify their Stetson. There have also been many books written about the Stetson hat over the years. We recommend you look into such resources to answer your questions.

For example:
Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company by Jeffrey B. Snyder
Hat Talk by Debbie Henderson
 Cowboys & Hatters: Bond Street, Sagebrush, & The Silver Screen by Debbie Henderson
------------------
In other words, we have no idea, we used to make hats, now we are a marketing company.

Stetson as a hat company and manufacturer ceased to exist in 1970.

The Philadelphia factory was torn down, and from what we know, most of the records, books, ledgers, and everything else was tossed into the bin. However, some items may still exist. I say this because it seems Mr. Deckard located some during his time with Hatco/Stetson. .

Since the John B. Stetson Company folded, the name has been sold at least twice. It's now under the Hatco umbrella, along with Dobbs, Resistol, Knox, and other vintage brands.

So there's really nobody left. Nobody from Philly or the original company that I know of.

And that's why this place is here.

ThomasK

New in Town
In this forum there are some discussions, whether in the summer heat a felt or a Panama is better. Everything I've read so far is subjective. Has anyone measured the temperature that develops under different hats in summer heat?

In this forum there are some discussions, whether in the summer heat a felt or a Panama is better. Everything I've read so far is subjective. Has anyone measured the temperature that develops under different hats in summer heat?

Not that I know of. I’m looking forward to reading your results and methodology. It will be peer reviewed before it’s published, right? ;)

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone measured the temperature that develops under different hats in summer heat?

I only wear felt as I'm too young yet to wear straws & at 30°C + outside temp. it gets hot enough under that crown to liquify my hair gel. On a temperature scale, that's dang hot.
5b364bfe0f15c.image.jpg

Not that I know of. I’m looking forward to reading your results and methodology. It will be peer reviewed before it’s published, right? ;)

That would be an interesting test plan to write.

We need an adequate sensor
Control for hair vs. non-hair
They'd have to be all the same type of hat to control for felt variations, colors, etc.
Laboratory (controlled environment) first, then field testing

Hmmm...

I only wear felt as I'm too young yet to wear straws & at 30°C + outside temp. it gets hot enough under that crown to liquify my hair gel. On a temperature scale, that's dang hot.
5b364bfe0f15c.image.jpg

“Too young yet to wear straws....”. What’s that supposed to mean?
That would be an interesting test plan to write.

We need an adequate sensor
Control for hair vs. non-hair
They'd have to be all the same type of hat to control for felt variations, colors, etc.
Laboratory (controlled environment) first, then field testing

Hmmm...

I bet there is some sort of government grant you could qualify for. Can you tie it into climate change?

ThomasK

New in Town
BTW - I would also like to know if a cooling towel works inside a hat (because it needs fresh air for evaporation). This is maybe an other study ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ