Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks for the ideas... I had thought clear nail polish might work. Here's my restoration project... will share the results.

dobbs_panama3.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
This could be off-the-wall -- but, what about diluting some baking soda in water, and then using a toothbrush to gently "scrub" with the solution?

DRB

One Too Many
What is a size 7 1/8 american in Germany? I have a chart that has English and French but not Germany. Who do they side with?

While we wait for a definitive answer from the international gurus, I would say 57 (centimetres) would be the label to look for in a German hat to fit a US 7 1/8. Of course that would be a 7 in the UK, or a 5 in Italy or France. Not confusing at all. 8^)

I bookmarked this page for reference a while back.

Drappa

One Too Many
Sorry if this has been asked before, but my search didn't come up with an answer. I bought my husband a Stetson Hatteras (Tweed), and it is a smidgen too small. The shop is sold out in a larger size, and we can't find that colour anywhere.
Is it possible to stretch the hat a little bit, as he loves it, or should we just return it and keep looking?

Many thanks in advance, advice would be really appreciated. :)

NW Trojan

Practically Family
I picked up this inexpensive crushable from Paul Fredrick and would like to know if crushable brims can be ironed flat or be done by some other home method. The material is 95% wool and 5% cashmere.

GSE204_232.jpg

Last edited:

Gromulus

Practically Family
I just got a good deal on an Akubra Pastoralist for my wife on ebay. She likes it but has also mentioned a straw/panama hat for the summer. She has a cheap straw one now but no full brim. She now realizes the benefit to having a wide, full brim for sun protection.

She saw this Akubra Planters hat on the EA site and really likes the style:

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=59

Does anyone have any opinions of other natural or synthetic (polypropylene) women's hats in similar styles we should consider?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Walt's Hats

New in Town
Help with hat identification

Hello everyone!
I have really enjoyed this site the last few days! Ii apologize in advance if I have done this incorrectly.
I need some help with my grandpa's hats. My folks have had my grandparent's stuff in the garage for YEARS and finally want to start a clean out. I'm going to put his hats on ebay and would like to offer as much accurate information as I am able.
1. What is the difference between felt and fur? Some are what I think are felt and are "hard" others are "soft".
2. Can a hat be in velour? That's kind of what it feels like to me.
3. One I think is "long hair" (I noticed that term on here).
4. What are the most important things I should put in the listing. Right now I have everything I can find. (thanks for the info about looking under the band)
I would try to insert pictures but I don't know how to do that.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Upload images to photobucket or flikr and paste the tags (don't worry, you'll see them) into your post.
Felt is made of fur (or wool, but we'll get to that). Take a look at the Winchester Making the Felt thread.
Felt hats are either wool felt or fur felt. Velour and long hair are just different ways that the felt is finished - think matte vs. glossy, it's still just paint.
Size (by size tag or sticker behind the sweatband, if there), accurate description of condition (divots are moth holes, show them), and lots of big, clear photos are the most important things to me.

Last edited:

earl

A-List Customer
As a lover of classically designed duds, have found this forum very interesting and have already learned a ton by perusing the hat forum. Have some beginner's questions, though. Bought an old Lee fedora in a Goodwill, (narrow ribbon)-only one I own-some 25 years ago. As I'm too tech-impaired to post pics, I'll settle for words. It's brim is around 3 inches, it's crown around 4. Would that place its age in the 40's? Also, what's the best way to clean some minor dirt spots from it-is dry cleaning a no-no? thanks much, Earl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic