Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought a Squatter from them years ago an thought it came with a liner. So they sent me one. Very accommodating. One complaint Some people have with Akubra is the inconsistency in stiffness. Some get hats like cardboard, some are not. I would just ask to see what they have in the batch they have.
Here is my Federation Deluxe III roughly 15 years old. This is me dry basing it into a Diamond.
0FC68C54-EEBC-4C9D-ACC3-1A0458792554.jpeg

ABD41D97-395F-4E0A-B8F2-D7FB25C6F62E.jpeg

31B61E11-8942-4345-92EC-B80FD61F3191.jpeg

C7253B36-BB77-4E39-BCE1-33E4D98C23A4.jpeg

Wanted to go into a C crown but this lets you know how easy it can be. If it gives you grief I would get it wet with cold water, shape it, then let it dry.
Johnny[/QUOTE]

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let’s overload this thread with photo’s. Here is my Akubra Squatter in Carbon Grey. Most here think the crown was to short to get a decent bash in it. I managed to get a shallow diamond crease in it with a little rake as well. so a Federation shouldn’t be an issue to get anything you want out of it.
AA826942-B471-4BB5-8587-2EA3EE6DC3ED.jpeg

5A7CC14A-3441-4C05-9430-182A9A19BE24.jpeg

E99499DB-FAC2-4B97-A42B-B3CAFA40D84D.jpeg

2D6D3AC2-A157-4E80-9BDD-F7C170475E8A.jpeg

BTW you didn’t mention what colour you were looking at.
Johnny

I've been eyeing the Stetson Dune hat for a while now. The only reason that I haven't bought it yet is that I'm not a fan of hats with thin ribbon hat bands. I would prefer a nice slightly narrow leather band on it.

I've looked at Etsy and others, but all I see are horsehair or really western style replacement bands.

Any recommendations for a source?
I have just started to make my own leather bands. It is really easily done...especially if you are in the US as you have so many leather supply houses. My preference is a 3/4" wide band with a simple hand stitched join covered by a modest 3/4" concho . If you are interested I can send you some pics with the simple instructions and some leather sources. I also have done some simple decoration using a leather stamp to distress the leather to add interest.

FedoraRedHat

One of the Regulars
Let’s overload this thread with photo’s. Here is my Akubra Squatter in Carbon Grey. Most here think the crown was to short to get a decent bash in it. I managed to get a shallow diamond crease in it with a little rake as well. so a Federation shouldn’t be an issue to get anything you want out of it.
View attachment 248136
View attachment 248137
View attachment 248138
View attachment 248139
BTW you didn’t mention what colour you were looking at.
Johnny

Thanks for posting your photos. I have purchased a Moonstone and Dark Brown (Loden?) Federation IV from HatsDirect.

I have just started to make my own leather bands. It is really easily done...especially if you are in the US as you have so many leather supply houses. My preference is a 3/4" wide band with a simple hand stitched join covered by a modest 3/4" concho . If you are interested I can send you some pics with the simple instructions and some leather sources. I also have done some simple decoration using a leather stamp to distress the leather to add interest.

Speaking for myself, I’d like to see them.

You probably already know this, but there's a Tandy in Surrey. Not sure how far from you it is.

You probably already know this, but there's a Tandy in Surrey. Not sure how far from you it is.
Yes, funny story about that. I went online to Tandy.ca during the lockdown to order online. Did not know where the nearest location was. It came up on the website that the closest was ElPaso TX. I thought that a little weird but didn't give it much thought. Placed my order on a Monday and received it Wed.....I was gobsmacked as I thought it was coming from ElPaso and would take 3 weeks not 3 days. Well it turned out that it came from Surrey and I now have a Tandy Leather just across the river from me....AND the storefront is now back open .

I’ve always admired the leather band Rick @humanshoes made for Regan @Woodtroll

View attachment 248272 View attachment 248273 View attachment 248274

Clean, simple, and rugged.
Yes, I admired that one as well. I suppose I could replicate it by hand sewing but it requires patience to get the spacing even. I will give it a go one day. Thought about it with the TomMix you sent me but the felt is sun bleached and i need to replace the ribbon with one that matches the 2" width. It is a great hat by the way. I naptha bathed it, gave it a bit of a pounce now need to resize it up but it is so damn tall I need to add another 1 1/2" to my size block. But it is going to make a damn fine hat.

Yes, funny story about that. I went online to Tandy.ca during the lockdown to order online. Did not know where the nearest location was. It came up on the website that the closest was ElPaso TX. I thought that a little weird but didn't give it much thought. Placed my order on a Monday and received it Wed.....I was gobsmacked as I thought it was coming from ElPaso and would take 3 weeks not 3 days. Well it turned out that it came from Surrey and I now have a Tandy Leather just across the river from me....AND the storefront is now back open .

Cool. I wasn't sure how far from you it might be. My wife noodles with leather and we drive down to a Cincinnati burb for Tandy.

It's in the same shopping center as a large antique shop and a really good Peruvian restaurant, so it's usually a good trip.

Cool. I wasn't sure how far from you it might be. My wife noodles with leather and we drive down to a Cincinnati burb for Tandy.

It's in the same shopping center as a large antique shop and a really good Peruvian restaurant, so it's usually a good trip.
My Tandy is across the bridge in a suburban area noted for its crime and drug dealings... for me its either online or a very quick trip there and back.....bullets be damned....full speed ahead.

I did not know you could specify a hat felt preference on HatsDirect. Since I will most likely be ordering from them, I'll keep that in mind...
Just remember "please" and "thank you" can go a long way. ;)

...I guess its the Federation then. Since I am a large 7 5/8 (61cm) hat size, I would prefer a bash high enough without needing to put a bubble in the crown. Thanks everyone.
I'm a big fan of Akubra hats and currently have three Fed IVs--two Imperial felts and one Heritage. I think they're excellent hats for the price. But it appears my head is taller than I ever thought it was because even something as simple as a shallow Center Dent crease gets pushed out to an open crown by my head as soon as I put the hat on, so I've never been able to crease any of my hats without that center dome/bubble, including my Feds. But I've seen other members do it, so your luck might be different.

7Eo39Wl.jpg

FocbUgW.jpg

eJ69nNE.jpg

The Shoe

One Too Many
With all the Akubras I see on here, I’m hoping someone can help me. I found an Akubra Stylemaster in my size for a good price.

From what I’ve seen online, the Stylemaster is a lined hat. However this one is unlined and the seller tells me it says “Pocketweight”.

I can’t seem to find details about pocketweight Akubras anywhere. Does this usually come unlined? Is it rabbit? I’m not particularly interested if it’s something like the Bailey wool lite felt hats.

With all the Akubras I see on here, I’m hoping someone can help me. I found an Akubra Stylemaster in my size for a good price.

From what I’ve seen online, the Stylemaster is a lined hat. However this one is unlined and the seller tells me it says “Pocketweight”.

I can’t seem to find details about pocketweight Akubras anywhere. Does this usually come unlined? Is it rabbit? I’m not particularly interested if it’s something like the Bailey wool lite felt hats.
I don't consider myself an Akubra expert ...as far as I know Akubra just makes decent quality rabbit fur felt hats and I have never seen a Stylemaster without a liner nor come across a 'pocketweight'. I have the very similar Sydney model and you can get one for $115 US$ from David Morgan.com

The Shoe

One Too Many
I don't consider myself an Akubra expert ...as far as I know Akubra just makes decent quality rabbit fur felt hats and I have never seen a Stylemaster without a liner nor come across a 'pocketweight'. I have the very similar Sydney model and you can get one for $115 US$ from David Morgan.com
Thanks for that. I thought they made some packable wool hats, but checking up on that now, I see the traveler is also rabbit. So it’s a pretty safe bet that the one I’m looking at is also bunny. I would like to know if anyone else has come across the pocketweight, though.

Thanks for that. I thought they made some packable wool hats, but checking up on that now, I see the traveler is also rabbit. So it’s a pretty safe bet that the one I’m looking at is also bunny. I would like to know if anyone else has come across the pocketweight, though.

If you do a Google search of The Fedora Lounge Akubra pocketweight you’ll see a few. It’s a new one to me, but they’ve showed up here before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner