Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DRB

One Too Many
So, this hat that belongs to Lloyd below, do you think it has the guard hairs still in it? It does not look like the white wool underneath. It looks like an unprocessed natural colored pelt. So does it have all or most of the guard hairs still attached, or was this hat just dyed this way?
(the hat is beaver and rabbit mix)
LloydownsthisOptimoWeternConversionafterrain-hare-beaverblendProbably40-50beaverDarkbrownlate60slonghairedwesternfelitshalfwaytoaPeluchejpg.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
BeaverFur-Theguardhairshavebeenpulledbacktoexposethedensershorterunderfur.jpg

Beaver Fur-The guard hairs have been pulled back to expose the denser shorter underfur.
Is all the brown fur discarded and only the white kept? Or, do they keep the white and brown and discard the guard hairs. I don't comprehend what a guard hair is. Any help?

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Just ordered it. I also spoke with a trapper and a fiber processor. Yes, it would be a difficult to do from scratch. Maybe I'll just make a wool hat for my son.

DRB

One Too Many
One more question, if I may. Has anyone ever seen a chinchilla/beaver mix? I have not seen any and was wondering if that was because chinchilla was unsuitable for felting. Any ideas?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
It's probably not the kind of thing you can do. I don't know how many people would have the expertise to even attempt making a single body, but it can't be too many.

If I remember my history correctly, didn't John Stetson make his own hat out West when he bought a beaver felt from Native Americans? This became his Boss of the Plains hat.

Anyways, if we could find out how this was done, in it's most primitive form, couldn't we try to replicate this process ourselves? The tools obviously wouldn't be complex, and the process would be simpler than what has been done in modern years. If we research old journals and historical accounts, there must be enough information floating around to try and replicate these primitive processes. And logic says its something we could try ourselves... No chemicals, large machinery, etc. The finished felt obviously wouldn't be as good as hatters grade felt, but it's a step in the right direction.

Call me crazy, but this seems logical enough to me provided there's historical resources out there.

DRB

One Too Many
I agree, I am still learning. I have ordered some books, hopefully they won't be too discouraging. Thanks for your help guys!

buler

I'll Lock Up
If I remember my history correctly, didn't John Stetson make his own hat out West when he bought a beaver felt from Native Americans? This became his Boss of the Plains hat.

Anyways, if we could find out how this was done, in it's most primitive form, couldn't we try to replicate this process ourselves? The tools obviously wouldn't be complex, and the process would be simpler than what has been done in modern years. If we research old journals and historical accounts, there must be enough information floating around to try and replicate these primitive processes. And logic says its something we could try ourselves... No chemicals, large machinery, etc. The finished felt obviously wouldn't be as good as hatters grade felt, but it's a step in the right direction.

Call me crazy, but this seems logical enough to me provided there's historical resources out there.

Do some google books searches on hat making, felting, and the word bow. While the bow may not be complex, I wouldn't call the process description simple. Here is one resource that describes bowing the fur.
Link -> HATFELTING

B

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
One more question, if I may. Has anyone ever seen a chinchilla/beaver mix? I have not seen any and was wondering if that was because chinchilla was unsuitable for felting. Any ideas?
only in pictures-- I think Montecristi makes them, and I believe there are images of vintage chinchilla/beaver hats in "The Cowboy Hat Book" by William Reynolds and Ritch Rand (of Rand Hats). I infer that they are extremely high end felts, but I suppose it could just be Montecristi's rather inflated prices.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
found this little guy at an antique shop this afternoon, and thought I'd try it out as a hat brush since I don't have a real one. It's fairly soft horsehair, and seems to work nicely so far. Are there any reasons anyone can think of that I shouldn't use this on a hat?
0063ah.jpg
[/IMG]
0073.jpg
[/IMG]

rlk

I'll Lock Up

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
found this little guy at an antique shop this afternoon, and thought I'd try it out as a hat brush since I don't have a real one. It's fairly soft horsehair, and seems to work nicely so far. Are there any reasons anyone can think of that I shouldn't use this on a hat?
0063ah.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, it looks like a shoe brush. I'd be very careful and check for any polish residue which will mess up a felt hat.

On second thought, I'd just lie down for ten bucks and buy a new hat brush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24