Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Since you are on the subject of felts....I acquired a 60's Dobbs that is sun faded on one side. I looks like it sat in direct sunlight for years...one side is faded the other is not. The hatband even has a shadow of from the trolly cord. How you you fix the fading?
I would think turning it inside out could fix that problem. Surely the ribbon is also faded. If the inside of the crown is not faded I would send out for a complete refurbishment.

David Chappell

New in Town
Hello lovely hat people!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the forums, so please be gentle :)

I have acquired what I think is a vintage Stetson, but know very little about it. How can I find out more detail? I'd like to know when/where it was made (approx, of course), and of course, how much it's worth. Here are a few pictures:

label.jpg IMG_20210808_164506.jpg IMG_20210808_164502.jpg IMG_20210808_164453.jpg IMG_20210808_164430.jpg IMG_20210808_164417.jpg IMG_20210808_164108.jpg hat3.jpg hat2.jpg hat1.jpg

There is a ticket inside the leather (pictured) that has "LOT" as "Tyler", "STYLE" as "SIL BELLY" (Silver Belly I guess) and a size of 7 1/2. There is a stamp on the leather saying Joske's of Texas (A store which I think went bust in the 80s?) and the hat box has been cut down in size (which is a shame), but it still protects the hat nicely. Maybe someone needed to store it in a smaller place than the box fitted. I think the box is an older one as it is an oval shape with a cowboy scene on the side.

In regards to condition, the hat seems pretty much perfect. No marks of any kind that I can discern, very even colour all over - it look like it has never been out of the box.

Anyone who can help or direct me to the right place to understand its history and value, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all,

David

Hello lovely hat people!

I have acquired what I think is a vintage Stetson, but know very little about it. How can I find out more detail? I'd like to know when/where it was made (approx, of course), and of course, how much it's worth. Here are a few pictures:

View attachment 352660 View attachment 352659 View attachment 352658 View attachment 352657 View attachment 352656 View attachment 352655 View attachment 352654 View attachment 352653 View attachment 352652 View attachment 352651

There is a ticket inside the leather (pictured) that has "LOT" as "Tyler", "STYLE" as "SIL BELLY" (Silver Belly I guess) and a size of 7 1/2. There is a stamp on the leather saying Joske's of Texas (A store which I think went bust in the 80s?) and the hat box has been cut down in size (which is a shame), but it still protects the hat nicely. Maybe someone needed to store it in a smaller place than the box fitted. I think the box is an older one as it is an oval shape with a cowboy scene on the side.

In regards to condition, the hat seems pretty much perfect. No marks of any kind that I can discern, very even colour all over - it look like it has never been out of the box.

Anyone who can help or direct me to the right place to understand its history and value, would be much appreciated.

David

Late 60’s - early 70’s 3X western with an embroidered Last Drop liner. It’s a larger size which is not always easy to find. Decent felt on those hats. I have a 3X from the same era. Yours appears NOS. As far as value; check the sold listings for similar hats on eBay and that would be closer to fair market value than any guesstimate you might receive here. Worth more than the $20 it originally did sold for.

Hello lovely hat people!

View attachment 352660 View attachment 352659 View attachment 352658 View attachment 352657 View attachment 352656 View attachment 352655 View attachment 352654 View attachment 352653 View attachment 352652 View attachment 352651

David

I think it’s 1950s. The non-mixed number keyhole size tag (the size tag in your photos) went out of use in the late 1950s.

It’s ultimately worth whatever someone is willing to pay. We don’t normally offer valuations. Some here will also be competing for the hat if you decide to sell it. It is in a desirable size and it looks to be in good shape. The best way to know it’s worth is to put it on eBay, describe it well, and let the market tell you.

David Chappell

New in Town
Late 60’s - early 70’s 3X western with an embroidered Last Drop liner. It’s a larger size which is not always easy to find. Decent felt on those hats. I have a 3X from the same era. Yours appears NOS. As far as value; check the sold listings for similar hats on eBay and that would be closer to fair market value than any guesstimate you might receive here. Worth more than the $20 it originally did sold for.

Thank you very much for the comment, I appreciate the more expert eye - sorry about asking for value, I didn't know that. But glad to hear it's worth more than the £20 I paid for it in a thrift store, I think I will likely sell it, am a bit pinched for cash so perhaps someone who will appreciate it more than I could have it.

What is NOS?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

David Chappell

New in Town
I think it’s 1950s. The non-mixed number keyhole size tag (the size tag in your photos) went out of use in the late 1950s.

It’s ultimately worth whatever someone is willing to pay. We don’t normally offer valuations. Some here will also be competing for the hat if you decide to sell it. It is in a desirable size and it looks to be in good shape. The best way to know it’s worth is to put it on eBay, describe it well, and let the market tell you.

Wow so as old as that? That's amazing, I had no idea at all. It's in incredible shape then really. Such a shame the hat box has been cut down like this though, but it still has some charm when closed.

The size tag is the "1/2" tag at the back, or the one with the style on too under the rim? Forgive my ignorance of the proper names for these things.

Is there anything else remarkable about it? The Joske's of Texas thing - Is that where it may have been sold perhaps?

Thanks again one and all.

David

Wow so as old as that? That's amazing, I had no idea at all. It's in incredible shape then really. Such a shame the hat box has been cut down like this though, but it still has some charm when closed.

The size tag is the "1/2" tag at the back, or the one with the style on too under the rim? Forgive my ignorance of the proper names for these things.

Is there anything else remarkable about it? The Joske's of Texas thing - Is that where it may have been sold perhaps?

Thanks again one and all.

David
Yes.. Joske’s of Texas would be the store it was originally sold in. Brent is referring to the keyhole shaped tag at the rear of the sweatband. I agree with Brent on those keyhole tags. The paper tag under the sweat with all the info.. that style might have been used in later hats and I’m sure what Greg was basing his estimate on. Dating these hats often isn’t an exact science… but the speculation is a lot of the fun we have around here.

No problem on the terminology. We all kinda pick it up as we go here.

Welcome to the lounge.

Thank you very much for the comment, I appreciate the more expert eye - sorry about asking for value, I didn't know that. But glad to hear it's worth more than the £20 I paid for it in a thrift store, I think I will likely sell it, am a bit pinched for cash so perhaps someone who will appreciate it more than I could have it.

What is NOS?

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

NOS stands for “new old stock.” It means it’s old, but still in new condition.

Up until the late 1950s Stetson only used the fraction and left off the whole number for the size tag that was visible on the inside of the hat by the seam on the leather sweatband. A size 7 1/4 was labeled “1/4” and so on. The hat is definitely a US size 7 1/2 which is a UK size 7 3/8.

We often refer to this style as a “skinny ribbon” as the “ribbon” is a single cord rather than the more common two or more cords. It’s a nice western hat that lots of folks would like to have so I’m sure you won’t have any trouble selling it.

Last edited:

David Chappell

New in Town
NOS stands for “new old stock.” It means it’s old, but still in new condition.

Up until the late 1950s Stetson only used the fraction and it the mixed number for the size tag that was visible on the inside of the hat by the seam on the leather sweatband. A size 7 1/4 was labeled “1/4” and so on. The hat is definitely a US size 7 1/2 which is a UK size 7 3/8.

We often refer to this style as a “skinny ribbon” as the “ribbon” is a single cord rather than the more common two or more cords. It’s a nice western hat that lots of folks would like to have so I’m sure you won’t have any trouble selling it.

Wow there really is an entire world out here with these things, it's really quite extraordinary the detail. I have great admiration for anyone who takes the time and energy to learn about their passion. Mine, I must confess, is vinyl records, now that I can talk about, but probably not here ;).

Thanks everyone for your help, it'll likely be coming to an ebay near you soon by the look of it. Do I post links here for that too or is that frowned open? Or list it in the classifieds here?

One last, and probably enormously obvious question. This hat - is it a "Stetson" (ie is that an actual type of hat as well as a maker) or is it actually a fedora? Or something else? I'd like to describe it accurately as I don't wish to make the mistake of calling it the wrong thing. Total newbie question I'm sure, sorry about that.

Apologies again in advance for my ignorance, and my many thanks for your continued kind attention.

Best,

David

Wow there really is an entire world out here with these things, it's really quite extraordinary the detail. I have great admiration for anyone who takes the time and energy to learn about their passion. Mine, I must confess, is vinyl records, now that I can talk about, but probably not here ;).

Thanks everyone for your help, it'll likely be coming to an ebay near you soon by the look of it. Do I post links here for that too or is that frowned open? Or list it in the classifieds here?

One last, and probably enormously obvious question. This hat - is it a "Stetson" (ie is that an actual type of hat as well as a maker) or is it actually a fedora? Or something else? I'd like to describe it accurately as I don't wish to make the mistake of calling it the wrong thing. Total newbie question I'm sure, sorry about that.

Apologies again in advance for my ignorance, and my many thanks for your continued kind attention.

Best,

David

Stetson is a brand not a model. Ebay allows you to select “Stetson” as a style/model too, but it’s not accurate. Most of the model names were not printed anywhere on the hat so it’s hard, or even impossible, to determine the model name. I’d just describe it as a vintage Stetson 3X Beaver western cowboy hat US size 7 1/2.

The mixed number keyhole size tags (whole number and the fraction) came into use in the latter 1950s and lasted well into the 1960s. The fraction only size tag predates the mixed number tag so I really think it’s a 1950s hat. The style of the paper label behind the sweatband looks to preclude it from being any older that that. However, dating hats is imprecise and I’ve made several mistakes in the past. There are those with a lot more expertise than what I have who can perhaps be more definite in the age of the hat, but it shouldn’t make much difference as the the value. In fact, I always refrain from including a decade or an estimate of the age when I sell hats. If you had a dated sales receipt or some other provenance then I’d consider it, but otherwise you’re safer letting the potential bidders make their own conclusions.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Hello lovely hat people!

David
Welcome to the lounge.
Very nice old skinny ribbon Last Drop. Great proportions and stellar condition. With the box i’d say quite a find.
B

I’m intrigued and tempted by this Lagomarsino nutria that has popped up on a local online market over here. Brent @deadlyhandsome, are you still as impressed with them as you were in your post back in 2018?
Anyone else have experience with these hats. This one is going for ¥7500 (about $US70).
View attachment 352743
Thanks in advance.

I’ve had a couple of these and I think I still have a homburg and maybe another? They are not top tier, but if you like the style and proportions I wouldn’t avoid them. Hope that helps…not the strongest endorsement, but that accurately sums up my opinion.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’ve had a couple of these and I think I still have a homburg and maybe another? They are not top tier, but if you like the style and proportions I wouldn’t avoid them. Hope that helps…not the strongest endorsement, but that accurately sums up my opinion.
Thanks, Brent.
I’ll ponder a little longer & hope the price comes down a little more. I don’t have a nutria in my collection, so it does intrigue.

Gary

aspis

New in Town
Greetings!
New member here. I was searching for some hat info and found this cool forum. Perhaps someone here can identify this hat? I'd like to have one with a sharp crease and a narrow brim like this but so far haven't found anything particularly close. A Stetson Mercury and a couple from Christ'y models seem sort of in the ballpark but. This guy is Prince Michael of Kent so it may be bespoke. If so, how would one describe such a hat to be ordered or shaped?

Attachments

• prince-michael-of-kent-enjoys-the-attractions.jpg
    prince-michael-of-kent-enjoys-the-attractions.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 759

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner