Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dkstott

Practically Family
As has already been pointed out, social conventions don’t necessarily have to make sense, and I agree that it is just my perception.

Having said that, if I really gave a big rats rump about ”fitting in and not standing out” I wouldn’t walk around in Connecticut every day while wearing a western/outback hat, so I suspect there is some inconsistency there.
I can't believe that you haven't seen me running errands around CT with my Akubra Banjo Patterson yet.

dkstott

Practically Family
Middlesex County.
20210227_083717_HDR.jpg

Has anyone successfully used a naphtha bath to get must smell out of a hat?

Bummed to find a new purchase is really musty. I’ve been down this road before and nothing I was able to do at home—even full on soaking in vinegar—completely worked. Kind of pegging my hopes on naphtha but would welcome any insight.

Thanks,

David

A naphtha bath can help, but may not solve all of your problems. Two suggestions I've tried with some success are placing the hat in a box or container with some baking soda or coffee grounds, which can absorb the smell. One of the best ways is fresh air and sunshine. I've set some hats outside in the sun and breeze with good results.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A naphtha bath can help, but may not solve all of your problems. Two suggestions I've tried with some success are placing the hat in a box or container with some baking soda or coffee grounds, which can absorb the smell. One of the best ways is fresh air and sunshine. I've set some hats outside in the sun and breeze with good results.
Sunshine and fresh air has been my go to.

Except Olympic swimmers and divers. If I looked like Greg Louganis, I'd wear a Speedo everywhere!
OK, I agree on this one! I have a reverse swimmer's physique.....where I still have that wonderful V shape to my torso but it is inverted......the waist is wider than the shoulders. From now on I shall call it The Reverse Greg Louganis....to give it a diving connotation.

OK, I agree on this one! I have a reverse swimmer's physique.....where I still have that wonderful V shape to my torso but it is inverted......the waist is wider than the shoulders. From now on I shall call it The Reverse Greg Louganis....to give it a diving connotation.

Let's just say that if they make a new Dick Tracy flick, I could be in the running for the role of Professor Pearshape.

As has already been pointed out, social conventions don’t necessarily have to make sense...
See now, that's my problem with "social conventions". If they don't make sense, why engage in them? And if the answer to that has anything to do with "polite society" or some such, you're already wrong because society is, and always has been, anything but polite.

Echo the fresh air and sunshine!

See now, that's my problem with "social conventions". If they don't make sense, why engage in them? And if the answer to that has anything to do with "polite society" or some such, you're already wrong because society is, and always has been, anything but polite.
Up here in Canada we are preternaturally polite....I think it is genetic. Sorry for making such a bold statement.

AMoosesLooses

New in Town
Hello all, I believe I have a genuine 1930s? Stetson optima panama hat here. I'm sure someone's about to break my heart and point out something incredibly obvious like 2 inch tall red NEW ERA written on the top or something cuz that's usually the way these things go, but I'll still hold out hope. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1200474.JPG
    P1200474.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • P1200475.JPG
    P1200475.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • P1200476.JPG
    P1200476.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • P1200477.JPG
    P1200477.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • P1200479.JPG
    P1200479.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • P1200480.JPG
    P1200480.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
  • P1200481.JPG
    P1200481.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
  • P1200482.JPG
    P1200482.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • P1200483.JPG
    P1200483.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • P1200488.JPG
    P1200488.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 41
Hello all, I believe I have a genuine 1930s? Stetson optima panama hat here. I'm sure someone's about to break my heart and point out something incredibly obvious like 2 inch tall red NEW ERA written on the top or something cuz that's usually the way these things go, but I'll still hold out hope. Thanks in advance.

Nice! Are you thinking later 1930s based on the keyhole size tag? Maybe cross post it in the pre-1940s Stetson Dress Hats thread to get the attention of the more learned members?

AMoosesLooses

New in Town
I am just guessing based on hats that look the same on this site and others. Less than 24 hours ago I did not even know what a Panama Hat was and thought Fedoras were always black with a little feather in the side. In all honesty it was the box I was actually interested in cuz I thought it looked neat. I was told it was just some old worthless hat and it's been sitting here for like a month till last night I was deciding what to do with the box when I noticed that the hat just had a quality look about it. Many many hours of googling later here I am.

Thanks for the suggestion I will post it there. Did I get the right type at least then?

I am just guessing based on hats that look the same on this site and others. Less than 24 hours ago I did not even know what a Panama Hat was and thought Fedoras were always black with a little feather in the side. In all honesty it was the box I was actually interested in cuz I thought it looked neat. I was told it was just some old worthless hat and it's been sitting here for like a month till last night I was deciding what to do with the box when I noticed that the hat just had a quality look about it. Many many hours of googling later here I am.

Thanks for the suggestion I will post it there. Did I get the right type at least then?

Close, it’s Optimo not Optima. It’s also called colonial style and probably others too. I think you are close on your dating too. The Lot numbers on the back of the sweatbands went away around 1940.

This is the thread I reccomend you add it to:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pre-1940s-stetson-dress-hats.42859/page-49

stoffelbvb

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I found an opera hat (chapeau claque) while we cleared the house of my dead uncle. I searched google to find an answer what the name of the chapeau claque brand is. I couldnt find anything. So you are my last chance to find out. Attached some photos of the opera hat. If anyone could help, I would be very thankful. Thanks for your time and effort.

Stefan

Attachments

• BE75064D-76C6-4DE2-A11D-2043766616A4.jpeg
    BE75064D-76C6-4DE2-A11D-2043766616A4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • E506B4FC-F44D-4107-9445-0541F81A1440.jpeg
    E506B4FC-F44D-4107-9445-0541F81A1440.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 49DDAF56-D664-42CA-96E2-B5DD70190CFC.jpeg
    49DDAF56-D664-42CA-96E2-B5DD70190CFC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
  • EDDDFBB6-B0EE-4B64-A014-FD10871CBA25.jpeg
    EDDDFBB6-B0EE-4B64-A014-FD10871CBA25.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 0CFA8799-F9AB-4529-981E-432893C9035B.jpeg
    0CFA8799-F9AB-4529-981E-432893C9035B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 57

AMoosesLooses

New in Town
Close, it’s Optimo not Optima. It’s also called colonial style and probably others too. I think you are close on your dating too. The Lot numbers on the back of the sweatbands went away around 1940.

This is the thread I reccomend you add it to:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/pre-1940s-stetson-dress-hats.42859/page-49
Ah thank you, I tried to get there myself and I keep getting an error. It looks like it will be going up on ebay later now anyway since the only guy I know who would wear it is my uncle, and he's doesn't want it because he said he's happy with the 2nd hat I bought that day for it's box, an Adam Hat Fedora of the same era, another thing they tossed in the "nobody wants this garbage lot". I had no idea that estate agency and I were in such a fierce race to see who knew less about what they were doing that day.

II I call this a "1930s Stetson Fedora 7 1/8 Optimo Panama Hat" that's accurate right? And I apologize I'm not asking for anyone here to do my work, now that I know a bit more I feel should make sure I don't insult anyone by trying to sell it as a mediocre sedan with a really nice Hat Box restoration project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk