Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
What does the correctly fitted oval measure front to back and side to side?

Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Length = 8 1/4 inch
Width = 6 3/4 inch

Approximately...

I myself don't think that would qualify as a long oval for most makers. It may be on the borderline for some. Now that you have posted numbers others may weigh in with their read on it.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
New Question for me anyway, as I havn't found much trying to do a search.

What are the best methods to sanitize a hat of unknow history, such as a used hat off of ebay? I did read somewhere where someone likes to freeze them in the freezer for a while. Will that really do it, and kill anything that might be living in the hat? What about other methods?

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
You could have it cleaned by a hatmaker..

http://www.optimohats.com/#/hat_services/

I guess I could, and I would if I had a really nice hat that had cost me a bundle, but I am mostly a do it yourselfer, and just got to thinking about it, and wondered what others on here do when they get a new to them, used hat.

Is the freezer trick a smart move, just to be on the safe side?

BluesMan21

New in Town
What type of hat did this man wear?

2w4aa39.jpg

This is Hank Williams Sr. with his famous hat that fit him so well. Do any of you know what type of hat it is? I'd like to get one similar.

Thanks for you help,

Collin

...What are the best methods to sanitize a hat of unknow history, such as a used hat off of ebay? I did read somewhere where someone likes to freeze them in the freezer for a while. Will that really do it, and kill anything that might be living in the hat? What about other methods?

I use antiseptic wipes that you get for first aid kits. The freezer trick is for killing critters but some hats are in nice shape so I wipe them down well on the sweat & liner.

English_Gent

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm about to venture into the world of Panama hats and have a few questions.

Are there any particular advantages or disadvantages in choosing a natural straw coloured hat over a traditional bleached white one or vice versa?

How difficult is it to replace the band/ribbon? Also are there any issues with matching a traditional white Panama with black band to certain types/colours of clothing?
Would it really go with everything?
Are there any particular colours it won't go with? I can't imagine a white hat with black band going with a brown linen suit, for example. I wonder if it would even work with grey.
Is there any colour of band which would be more versatile than black?

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Hats At Rest

For those of you with more than one hat - what do you folks do with the hats you aren't wearing? Do you put them on one of those black plastic hat rests? Do you use some sort of stand? Maybe a styrofoam "head"? Do you just set them on your dresser? I'm sneaking up on about a dozen hats, but not sure of the best way of storing them when I'm not wearing them.

I don't mean long term storage. I'm talking about the hats I rotate daily.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21