Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
So there really is a guy named John Hancock? I always thought it was just a US figure of speech......the whole 'to put your john hancock' on a document...sort of like a US John Doe.
Yes, the figure of speech came from the lore of John Hancock being first to sign Declaration of Independence

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Here is a local find that I’m hoping to learn more about. I was thinking it might be a Beaver Brand hat but there isn’t much to go on. The “50% Beaver 20X” felt seems a bit underwhelming.

IMG_6382.jpeg
IMG_6380.jpeg
IMG_6383.jpeg
IMG_6384.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Here is a local find that I’m hoping to learn more about. I was thinking it might be a Beaver Brand hat but there isn’t much to go on. The “50% Beaver 20X” felt seems a bit underwhelming.

View attachment 529373 View attachment 529374 View attachment 529375 View attachment 529376 View attachment 529378

I’ve never seen this hat before. All the 20X Beaver Brand hats I’ve seen have been clearly marked “100% Pure Beaver” so this 50% beaver has me wondering if it’s not from another company. The size tag is also different from what I’m used to seeing as is the liner. I’m curious about the hat too.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
I’ve never seen this hat before. All the 20X Beaver Brand hats I’ve seen have been clearly marked “100% Pure Beaver” so this 50% beaver has me wondering if it’s not from another company. The size tag is also different from what I’m used to seeing as is the liner. I’m curious about the hat too.

Maybe an Atwood hat? But I would think there would be an Atwood label on the hat somewhere.

Cowboys ask for this hat by name so it seems legit. ;-)

IMG_5211.png

Happy

New in Town
In summer 2023 is there any trouble in ordering a hat from Australia?
By trouble, I mean coming into the USA are hat taxed or otherwise held by US customs?
Thank you, this is all new to me............... no Saltwater croc headbands on my order.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
By trouble, I mean coming into the USA are hat taxed or otherwise held by US customs?
Thank you, this is all new to me............... no Saltwater croc headbands on my order.
Anything coming in internationally will need to clear U.S. Customs and go through a regional processing center, probably LA or Chicago in your case. In my experience third party shipping companies like UPS, FedEx, and DHL on average seem to get packages cleared through customs faster, one to three days, as opposed to the global postal system. With USPS I've had packages sit for up to three weeks waiting to clear customs (though that was atypical).

The threshold for import duties and taxes is $800, so as long as you're below that value there shouldn't be any additional expenditure on your part.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I received my most recent Akubra about two weeks ago via USPS from The Hattery in Katoomba, NSW Australia. I paid extra to have it expedited and it came to me in 8 days. No missteps, no hassles, no extra fees for customs.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I've read where if you buy a hat from ebay that you should put it in the freezer to kill any critters that might be living in the hat. Is that true? Also, can freezing a hat damage it in anyway?

shopkin

New in Town
I've read where if you buy a hat from ebay that you should put it in the freezer to kill any critters that might be living in the hat. Is that true? Also, can freezing a hat damage it in anyway?
You could also heat it to 135 F fifteen minutes or spray it with a 0.5% Permethrin soution.

I make hat bands with fancy poultry feathers and always heat-treat them for mites and lice before use. The same procedures will kill human head lice. But, without a host the human head lice will die of starvation in just two to three days anyway.

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I have bought numerous (uh hum) used hats from eBay & I've never had to de-critter or sterilize them. Steam when reshaping or reblocking tends to be a good sanitizer anyway. I have had a few hats with moth damage but the culprits were long gone.
I can't see a situation where I would ever put a hat in the freezer.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve bought hundreds of used hats. Never had an issue with insects. If I ever do see a problem I will use the freezer to rectify the issue. I don’t see a downside to freezing a hat.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I have bought numerous (uh hum) used hats from eBay & I've never had to de-critter or sterilize them. Steam when reshaping or reblocking tends to be a good sanitizer anyway. I have had a few hats with moth damage but the culprits were long gone.
I can't see a situation where I would ever put a hat in the freezer.
Thanks!

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Probably a thread about this somewhere but can someone give me a quick how-to on replacing a wide grosgrain ribbon with a thin one?
Mighty thanks if you can.

Several posts have shown photos of older hats having a label on the sweat band showing 7/8, what does that mean?

One in a thousand might be a size 7 ⅞ (I’ve never seen one and often the largest size offered on those vintage hats was 7 ¾), so yeah: 6 ⅞. It wasn’t until the late 1950s that Stetson included the whole number in the sizing…not sure why.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
You could also heat it to 135 F fifteen minutes or spray it with a 0.5% Permethrin soution.

I make hat bands with fancy poultry feathers and always heat-treat them for mites and lice before use. The same procedures will kill human head lice. But, without a host the human head lice will die of starvation in just two to three days anyway.
Sorry to disagree….but i have to strongly caution AGAINST this advise for ANY hat!
For feathers yes. I have drenched many a racing pigeon in a Permethrin solution to kill lice/mites etc. However Permethrin concentrate is OILY and in no way would i spray any hat with it.
For feathers it’s def a go to.

Heating a hat….135 deg is not that hot but why take a chance of possibly ruining a sweatband no matter how good they look because sweatbands are a fickle mistress.
Freezing the entire hat in a plastic bag for 24-72 hrs is the simple cure and gives one a degree of confidence that no bugs/larva survived.
I freeze all but the most pristine hats with never an issue and have forgotten hats in the freezer for weeks with no ill effects than those for 24-72 hrs.
This is just my experience with hat bugs including some that probably deserved to be burned.
Keep it simple…freeze is a breeze.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner