Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
The hats I mentioned are well within a reasonable price, you can find vintage Open Roads in decent condition on Ebay. The Akubras are very reasonable as well, within the $100 range depending on exchange rates, etc. I have 2 dark colored Campdrafts which are good all around hats. No experience with the Stylemaster, but Monbla on this forum likes his a lot, he could probably tell you more.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is the Akubra Stylemaster a lighter weight hat? Those are beautiful.

It is an Imperial grade felt but it is a lighter weight variety. The Acorn Fawn color is the lightest color they are available in whether you order from OZ or David Morgan in Seattle. Here's a good shot that is true to the color Acorn Fawn:

96300025.jpg

Current exchange as of 10 am today in New York was AU $1 = US $ 1.0651

Duper

Practically Family
Shipping hats from Canada to USA

I have a number of hats I just never wear and would consider putting them in the classified section. I inquired at the Canada Post office today and they gave me a price of almost $40.00 to ship a hat in a proper hat box to the USA. Are there any fellow Canucks out there who sell hats to our friends in the south? If so what service do you use?

Thanks!

InsolentPuppy

A-List Customer
It is an Imperial grade felt but it is a lighter weight variety. The Acorn Fawn color is the lightest color they are available in whether you order from OZ or David Morgan in Seattle. Here's a good shot that is true to the color Acorn Fawn:

96300025.jpg

Current exchange as of 10 am today in New York was AU $1 = US $ 1.0651

Thanks monbla256 I/m going to look into that.

T Rick

Practically Family
It has a finer finish or "hand" to it and is a very nice felt. Equal to the Imperial grade as far as wear and tear aspects. ( it is an Akubra :) ) But it is only available in about 5 stock styles( the special order Camdrafts being promoted here are not available as a "standard" hat.) they are predominately Aussie style with one Western. None of the Fedora styles are available currently from Akubra in this grade of felt.
I'm sure it was a simple oversight, but of course the Fed IV is very much a Fedora style and is available in the Heritage grade felt (colors vary from the Imperial Felts).

Hello all. What's a decent lightweight felt hat for the late summer/early autumn? I want to stick with a fedora with a wide-ish brim (~2.5") or possibly a western-style hat.
As above suggested, either an Open Road or a Camp Draft, though these are not really "Summer weight" hats. Possibly more comfortable with the liner removed as many have done (I've not yet tried that).

I think the Akubra Squatter (the version sold in Australia, not the David Morgan imported version) are a lighter felt and come unlined and in an open crown, so those may come even closer to your specs (others here please correct me if I am wrong!).

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Could someone please tell me in clear language, how with every day items, I can clean the 'sweat rim' that appears on felt hats around where the sweatband sits due to a little too much sweating? It is quite visible and want it out...

Thank you!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Jantjeuh, I use a sponge and distilled water, or you can also use steam if it's really caked on the felt. Just apply enough moisture with the sponge or steam kettle to loosen up the salt, then sponge the salt stains away. A good rain storm also does the trick.

insomniac

New in Town
Simple question. Panama Bob straw (prob. Cuenca) vs. Akubra Capricorn. I generally get that the Capricorn is more resistant to rain and may be a bit more durable. Other pluses/minuses?

fmw

One Too Many
I have a number of hats I just never wear and would consider putting them in the classified section. I inquired at the Canada Post office today and they gave me a price of almost $40.00 to ship a hat in a proper hat box to the USA. Are there any fellow Canucks out there who sell hats to our friends in the south? If so what service do you use?

Thanks!

Assuming UPS charges the same amount in either direction, that would be an option. I'm a UPS shipper. I could ship a hat box to Canada by ground for about $15 or so - at least to the major cities. Canadians hate UPS in their direction because of the brokerage fees. I don't believe those exist in this direction.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Simple question. Panama Bob straw (prob. Cuenca) vs. Akubra Capricorn. I generally get that the Capricorn is more resistant to rain and may be a bit more durable. Other pluses/minuses?

from the Akubra website .... " Made of Polypropylene featuring an inside leather and 38mm ribbon puggaree." PB's hat is a PANAMA hat, made from natural straw and handwoven in Cuenca,Panama. Two DIFFERENT hats though they may look the same. The Panama DOES NOT like rain :)

The Capricorn is polyester = synthetic material, not straw at all. It can get wet & is way more durable than a PB straw. I have the Akubra Zephyr which is the same material as the Capricorn =
zep2.jpg

I bought it to wear on the dock cause I don't care if it falls in the lake. I wear it golfing in South Central GA heat & humidity because I can hose it off when done. This is practically indestructable.

I have a Cuenca straw from PB that I treat as a fine spring/summer hat. Sure I sweat some in it due to the season but I'm not purposefully working up a sweat like golfing & I sure won't let it get caught in the rain.

These are apples & synthetic, plastic fantastic oranges.

huke

Banned
Fedora hat for summer

my wife wanna a fedora hat,and I cannt get the best one for her,so I choose this straw hat,similar to fedora,right?
but she is angry,so help me find a good women fedora...

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
LOL, you're gonna have to do better than a $4.00 straw to make the wife happy. Like stated above, have her show you pictures of a style, post them here and we'll tell you where to find a quality hat in the style she likes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy