Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yeah, seeing that interior pic pretty well confirms that's how the edge of the brim came originally. In that era, the workmanship just wasn't nearly as good.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you're hunting for a vintage Borsalino in size 7 1/2, bear in mind that the hats often provide "punti sizing," used frequently in Europe at least in days of yore, as opposed to U.S. sizing. On the punti scale, you're looking for a 6 1/2. You can look up punti sizing on the Internet. So the hat's size tag might be either one of those.

danofarlington

When I look for Borsalinos, I just type in "Borsalino hat" because some of the hats don't come up on a size search, as some sellers don't flag what the size is. Search systems are imperfect, and you risk losing some that might be your size if you specify size. There are usually fewer than 300 hats to look at.

tridentine

Suspended
Thanks for all the great advice everyone and I am sorry for the myriad questions, I am trying to get this right.

I just remeasured my head [right above the eybrows and even with the top of ears.
It is actually 23 1/4.
Would an 7 3/8 [American size] fit?

Mystic

Practically Family
Brim question.

I attempted to search the old Lounge threads about "Wafer edge". Didn't find much, but that's not surprising considering that I'm Technology Challenged.

What I did find didn't explain what a Wafer edge is and the photo's were either no longer there or wouldn't open.

Soooooo, what is a "Wafer Edge"? Also, hoping someone would be able to post a current photo of a hat with the Wafer edge.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
004rw.jpg

danofarlington

I'm sure it must be fur felt. It seems somewhat old, and wool hats so far as I know don't have numbered sizes, just S-M-L. Also the outer brim edge seems finely stitched, whereas the brim edge of a wool hat would be coarser.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know when they stopped making Royal Deluxe Stetson Stetsonians? I just picked one up on ebay in a 7 3/8 and looks pretty nice. I will post picks in the Post new hats thread later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters