Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have not heard of anyone stretching a Cap, but maybe someone knows something I don't? I would tend to think you would have to be real careful to not rip any stitching out if you were to give it a serious "tug", even with any of the "known" methods such as we do with a Fedora.....

Banky

One of the Regulars
I did a bit of searching, but didn't find anything that answered my question directly. I have an old hat whose sweat is on it's way out. It's not falling out, securely fastened still and all that but beginning to crack, etc. I spoke with my hatter here and he said wear it til the wheels fall off before replacing it. My question is, is there a way to condition the sweat to prolong it's life? As I said, I know it's gonna have to go eventually. But we're talking about a 90+ year old at, it'll make me sad to have to take it out of the original condition.

... My question is, is there a way to condition the sweat to prolong it's life? As I said, I know it's gonna have to go eventually. But we're talking about a 90+ year old at, it'll make me sad to have to take it out of the original condition.

Not really. I think your hatter has the right approach. Sweatbands absorb most of the wear a hat receives. You can make it softer by adding leather conditioners, but if it is cracking, it will likely disintegrate faster.

Sweatbands were intended to be replaced when they reached the end of their useful life and the good news is that your hat will likely outlast several sweatbands. You can preserve the hat intact as a collectable or replace the sweatband and enjoy wearing it. If you are concerned about the historical significance of the hat, post a photo and others will add specific feedback.

Banky

One of the Regulars
pretty much what I surmised. I enjoy wearing the hat and will continue doing so. Would make me more sad to put it on a shelf and look at it than to replace the sweat and continue to rock the hell out of it. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

Banky

One of the Regulars
I'll dig my camera out of storage after work this evening. 90+ may be overstating it somewhat. But we'll say in the range of 80-90ish by my best estimation.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is it possible to steam the brim on a hemp straw hat in order to shape it? I've read here that you can steam and shape the brim of a panama, and I had some success with the panama Open Road I purchased last year. Now I have an Akubra Capricorn in hemp, and while The Hattery repeats that the brim can be snapped down, it's not where I'd like it. Steam, or distilled water, or . . .?

GamaH

A-List Customer
How do y'all deal with hat buying addictions?

Edit: Too late, I caved.

Last edited:

Jack Savage

New in Town
My first post. I bought a Panama hat on Amazon and it was shipped in a small box looked like kids had stomped on it. Sent it back and was refunded. Looking around I found this site and tuned into conversations on Akubra. Never seen one before. I like the Stetson open road, but the crown isn't tall enough I think. ReThead posts here about the Campdraft. I liked that and bought one from Hats direct. Fast service its on the way. So then I ordered from Bushmasters a Boss of the road. Then I read a post from a few members who recommended buying one of each. I can see that.

So far I have purchased three. And I have to thank the members here for turning me on to Akubra. Gotta get my head out of the sun. Orders from the doctor. On that note I'm thinking of getting the Overseer next. When I get them I will update you on how they fit. Anyone here have an Overseer?

GamaH

A-List Customer
In some pictures, I've seen fedoras with a very drastic downward snap. How do I get my brim to bend down so much?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I won this on Ebay and it's a beauty. However, the brim doesn't snap as much as I would like. It's a coconut fedora. I know steam is used on fur felt, but what about this hat? Will steam damage it? Will it even work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-NOS-50s...B1tyA7I%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_1729wt_905

Brian

Steam can be used lightly. Do to the way that straw is woven it is not going to shape as well as a Fur Felt hat. You are not going to get the ability to shape a brim as much with a summer Panama or Milan due to their construction.
Art Fawcett makes a Dualist model that has a fur felt brim and a Panama Crown a real nice summer hat.
VS Dualist
Here is a picture of mine.
Photo%20Apr%2013%2C%203%2030%2009%20PM.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
Can hat brims be shortened without any damage? I'm considering getting a 3" brim from Optimo, but if it turns out to be too much, I'd like to have it shortened to say, 2 3/4 or 2 5/8. Would Optimo be able to do that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana