Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Have you guys come across Huckel Hats? It is European, not sure if its austrian or not...My good friend is a Tailor and has had one lying around for awhile now- its vintage and the writing is very faded.. any observations and should I purchase?

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as to how to remove label adhesive from a Montecristi? I have two from the same source, both with the same shaped subtle residue shadowy stain in the same place on the top of the brim, in front. Normally, I would try denatured alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol cleaned them up a bit, but not completely. Will this type of solvent strip the fibers of anything that should be replaced? What to do, what to do...
AdhsvStn168kb.jpg

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as to how to remove label adhesive from a Montecristi? I have two from the same source, both with the same shaped subtle residue shadowy stain in the same place on the top of the brim, in front. Normally, I would try denatured alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol cleaned them up a bit, but not completely. Will this type of solvent strip the fibers of anything that should be replaced? What to do, what to do...
View attachment 1868

I've used acetone to remove adhesive from straw. I would definitely test it on the inside first. It is chemically similar to alcohol. Obviously not for anything plastic.

viclip

Practically Family
I took delivery today of one of the remaining Beaver Brand fur felts (the "Downturn" model), in Kangaroo no less. Can anyone comment on how Beavers fare in rainy weather ~ are they on par with Akubras, say?

I've used acetone to remove adhesive from straw. I would definitely test it on the inside first. It is chemically similar to alcohol. Obviously not for anything plastic.

Thank you kindly, Alan. A Googoo search does turn up a few chemical products specifically formulated for removing label adhesive, such as "UN-DU." But, Casey Dalzell (of Panama Hats Direct) said most solvents will not affect the straw, and specifically mentioned acetone. Hope I don't have a "flashback..."

bartcubb

New in Town
I took delivery today of one of the remaining Beaver Brand fur felts (the "Downturn" model), in Kangaroo no less. Can anyone comment on how Beavers fare in rainy weather ~ are they on par with Akubras, say?

I bought a Beaver Brand hat last year and it's held up pretty well after the dozen or so times I've worn it in the rain. I won't say it looks brand new but it hasn't lost it's shape. I don't have an Akubra so I can't make a comparison.

I still see a few Beaver Brand hats here and there online as the stores clear out their stock. John Helmer and Alcala's still list a limited selection of models and sizes. I've never ordered from either myself, but I've been tempted.

viclip

Practically Family
I bought a Beaver Brand hat last year and it's held up pretty well after the dozen or so times I've worn it in the rain. I won't say it looks brand new but it hasn't lost it's shape. I don't have an Akubra so I can't make a comparison.

I still see a few Beaver Brand hats here and there online as the stores clear out their stock. John Helmer and Alcala's still list a limited selection of models and sizes. I've never ordered from either myself, but I've been tempted.

Thx for your input. Being Canadian I had to have a Beaver brand hat after hearing they'd gone out of business. After all, the beaver is our national animal. Wasn't sure about how durable the hats were, but had to have one, best...

Pinhead

One of the Regulars
168x168

As suggested, I will crease the sides and, I think, crush the tip-top of the front down and forward a bit (like some old Calvary hats I've seen?)

Whoa!

I don't know about ripping the brim, but I like the way he crushed up the top!

960x640

Last edited:

billwoo

New in Town
What hat is Morgan Freeman wearing in this movie ? (link to .jpg file enclosed)

http://cdn.aarp.net/content/dam/aarp/entertainment/movies-for-grownups/2013-05/01/740-morgan-freeman-now-you-see-me-review.imgcache.rev1369835766903rendition.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/cq5dam.web.300.192.jpeg

Hi, I'm not "deep into hat taxonomy," but for whatever reason this hat, worn in the movie, "Now you see me, now you don't," ... which I have not seen ... fascinated me.

The link above is to a 300x192 .jpg file that appeared on the American Association of Retired Persons web-site by permission of the movie's producers (Summit Entertainment).

thanks, Bill

I saw the movie over the weekend. It looked to me to be a long hair finish custom hat with modern (low crown) proportions. Woody Harrelson had a number of stingy brim fedoras that came and went presto chango.

billwoo

New in Town
Thanks, A.C. Lyles, and AlanFGag, for your responses !

@Alan Nice web-site; your photo, and your hat, reminds me of pictures of Robert Oppenheimer I've seen in a book I am just finishing reading, Richard Rhodes' excellent "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" (25th. anniversary edition, 2012, ISBN: 1451677618).

Astronomy in Brooklyn: I was in the lower East-Side in 1963, a runaway (from family, from Duke) young WASP posing as an ersatz beatnik poet; attending a Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidic wedding in Crown Heights was a highlight of those years: those men knew how to wear hats, and how to keep them on while dancing ecstatically; my hat fell off a lot, but I kept up with the dancing, being endowed with great strength, energy, and naivete, in those times.

Those were the halcyon days when certain baby-boomers, fallen-out-of their middle-class saddles, saw galaxies, comets, and supernovas, right in the living room, close-up, courtesy of Mr. Hoffman, and Sandoz ... on the edge of the national psychodrama that turned America inside-out, in the rest of the sixties.

My first thought, seeing Freeman's hat, was to remember the Chabad-Lubavitch men's hat, but I believe those hats did not have curled brims.

yours, Bill

LTCret

New in Town
Looking for info on the different model Stetson 1000x straw hats. How to tell which is which without the band. Thanks. JFC

Have you guys come across Huckel Hats? It is European, not sure if its austrian or not...My good friend is a Tailor and has had one lying around for awhile now- its vintage and the writing is very faded.. any observations and should I purchase?

I have a dedicated page to Hückel if you want to take a look (see below). Complicated situation because of WWI and WWII.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hueckel%c2%b4s-soehne-hueckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/

Can you post a photo on the German - Austrian thread that Ed mentioned?

jessapar22

New in Town
How can I tell what year my vintage fedora was made?? The brand name is "Morrison Hats" and I have looked EVERYWHERE and can't find any info on them, only that they are rare and hard to find!! Thank you so much!!!

How can I tell what year my vintage fedora was made?? The brand name is "Morrison Hats" and I have looked EVERYWHERE and can't find any info on them, only that they are rare and hard to find!! Thank you so much!!!

Start with some photos here... be sure to include pics of the inside, so that ALL labels are visible and sharp. Let's see what you have!!

Thanks, A.C. Lyles, and AlanFGag, for your responses !

@Alan Nice web-site; your photo, and your hat, reminds me of pictures of Robert Oppenheimer I've seen in a book I am just finishing reading, Richard Rhodes' excellent "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" (25th. anniversary edition, 2012, ISBN: 1451677618).

Astronomy in Brooklyn: I was in the lower East-Side in 1963, a runaway (from family, from Duke) young WASP posing as an ersatz beatnik poet; attending a Chabad-Lubavitch Chasidic wedding in Crown Heights was a highlight of those years: those men knew how to wear hats, and how to keep them on while dancing ecstatically; my hat fell off a lot, but I kept up with the dancing, being endowed with great strength, energy, and naivete, in those times.

Those were the halcyon days when certain baby-boomers, fallen-out-of their middle-class saddles, saw galaxies, comets, and supernovas, right in the living room, close-up, courtesy of Mr. Hoffman, and Sandoz ... on the edge of the national psychodrama that turned America inside-out, in the rest of the sixties.

My first thought, seeing Freeman's hat, was to remember the Chabad-Lubavitch men's hat, but I believe those hats did not have curled brims.

yours, Bill

Look forward to enjoying more of your posts, Bill. The sixties still ride among us. I have a friend in my industry, Kathy Alpert, who I've known for many years. Recently she was talking about her Uncle Richard who had some following during those years. Took me a while to connect the last name to Ram Dass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart