Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Galt

Vendor
Whether you like it or not, the auction sites is where you buy grosgrain (and decent hats). If you get to New York, Paris or Tokyo, you can buy it at Mokuba, who still makes the right stuff. It's quite expensive, though ($20-25 per meter) - and they only will sell to you in person. If you find any vintage, it was probably bought from eBay or Etsy in the first place. If you buy it there yourself, it'll be cheaper.

+1

If you are looking for something other than blue: i.e. black, brown, khaki green, silver; I have some 1951 grosgrain I bought from a hatter's son, in a few different choices of widths . PM preferred, but don't know if you can do that.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

fedoracentric

Banned
OK, does anyone have a handle on what a "Gold Medal" Stetson is from the 50s?

I was looking on th' bay and saw a Stetson Flagship hat from the 50s and on the sweatband in front was imprinted "Gold Medal" in serif type. Anyone know what that meant, exactly?

John Galt

Vendor
Don't know, I never got a response when I asked this question a couple of years ago, but I've got one from Lundstrom Hats in SF that is amazing. If you're looking at the one I think you are (also a Lundstrom), it looks very similar to mine, but mine is navy blue.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Yeah, Lundstrom. That was the one. Now, I know that Stetson had Gold Medal straws (I think they did, anyway) back in the 30s. But this is the first time I ever saw "Gold Medal" on a hat from the 50s.

Another thing on that Stetson Flagship that confused me was that it did not have a Flagship liner. It had a regular, 50s De Luxe liner with he plastic protector. But the hat seemed like a 40s hat. Maybe the hat was cleaned and the liner replaced? Or... did it come that way?

Confusing.

John Galt

Vendor
I noted that also. My Lundstrom Stetson Gold Medal hat (not a Flagship, although I do own one) is also a 1950's hat, but if I didn't know better, I would have thought 1940's at least. The felt is very nice, and it is a winter weight. I'm going to see if the one you were watching sold ;-)

[Edit] Yep, at $124. Pretty good price for a Flagship, I reckon. I wouldn't sell mine for that. Nor the navy Gold Medal.

Last edited:
Excellent question, D-Guy! Great time to form the planning committee, and pick this year's theme (hats?)

Let's re-start the initiative... Who's in?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'll be visiting Major Moore's shop (in Covington, TN) March 8th, and Ed (The Wiser Hatter) will be there too. I would love to attend a Fedora Feast, but that'll probably be my only chance this year :)

Roan

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,
I recently bought a couple of vintage fedoras, one offline, and another in an antique store; they were sold at two different locations, Stix Baer & Fuller, and Kaufmann's in Pittsburg. While neither one has a manufacturer name, they both have the same crest in the crown of the liners except that one has the "Twenty" designation and, the other doesn't. Any idea as to who made these two? I know that Knox has the same latin text in their crest, but other than that theirs is not even close to the same design as these.

DSCN0415-2.jpg

il_570xN.544727666_m4ox.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Moveo Et Proficio is made by Knox.

I don't know of any proof of that, but the motto and crest was registered in 1928 - about the same time Knox registered their motto and crest.

It seems unlikely, that two hat-companies could register same motto, and it seems like there have been no disputes on the motto. On the other hand, it's a bit weird, that the two crests are totally different. Not a single little element is common. That's quite puzzling [huh]

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
No, 1898. What you show is not the registration, but a page from a court document on a dispute over the names "Knox" and "Knox, The Hatter". Earlier I found a Knox registration from 1927, but it may just have been a confirmation or a prolonging(?) Anyway, the document, you're showing, states March 1st 1898 as the date of registration.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Knox Trademark 1897

The information below is from the following link.

http://www.trademarkia.com/knox-new-york-moveo-et-proficio-70054198.html

This is a brand page for the KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark by RHE Hatco, Inc. in Garland, TX, 75042. Write a review about a product or service associated with this KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark. Or, contact the owner RHE Hatco, Inc. of the KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark by filing a request to communicate with the Legal Correspondent for licensing, use, and/or questions related to the KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark.
On Thursday, August 26, 1897, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO by RHE Hatco, Inc., Garland, TX 75042. The USPTO has given the KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark serial number of 70054198. The current federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED. The correspondent listed for KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO is Kathryn Starshak of K&L GATES LLP, P.O. Box 1135, Chicago IL 60690-1135 . The KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO trademark is filed in the category of Transportation & Storage Services . The description provided to the USPTO for KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO is HATS AND CAPS.
Word Mark: KNOX NEW YORK. MOVEO ET PROFICIO
Status/
Status Date:
REGISTERED AND RENEWED
8/29/2007
Serial Number: 70054198
Filing Date: 8/26/1897
Registration Number: 0031332
Registration Date: 3/1/1898
Goods and Services: HATS AND CAPS
Mark Description: NOT AVAILABLE
Type Of Mark: TradeMark
Published For Opposition Date: N/A
Last Applicant/Owner: RHE Hatco, Inc.
Garland, TX 75042
Why is this contact information displayed?
Mark Drawing Code: Drawing/Design + Words
Design Search:
See Similar Logos >>
Eagles (Animals - Birds, Bats) see more design...
Birds or bats in flight or with outspread wings (Animals - Birds, Bats) see more design...
Shields or crests with figurative elements contained therein or superimposed thereon (Heraldry, flags, crowns, crosses, arrows and symbols - Shields, crests) see more design...
Banners (Heraldry, flags, crowns, crosses, arrows and symbols - Flags, banners) see more design...
Register Type: Principal
Disclaimer: (NOT AVAILABLE)
Correspondent:
Kathryn Starshak
K&L GATES LLP
P.O. Box 1135
Chicago IL 60690-1135
Classification Information

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
The oldest registered trademark for "Moveo Et Proficio" I could find a record of is 1897. The 1900 Court document just indicates that Moveo Et Proficio is the exclusive trademark and tradename of Knox the Hatter, thats the point.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Yes, it was filed in 1897 and registered in 1898 (not quite the same). But it seems like we agree almost completely. Except for the fact, that we in my mind still haven't got any proof of, who made the hat in question. It could be Knox, but it could also be another perpetrator, "borrowing" the motto ... just like Alfred S. Knox and Newton A. Merritt did "borrow" the name. The only thing we know for sure is, that Knox was willing to stand up and fight for the name, graphics and motto.

I still find it more than very strange, that there seems to be nothing comparable about the two crests. A crest or coat of amour is not without meaning. Every little detail is argued in such a piece of heraldry, and therefore it's quite weird, that the same man/company has two crests made, that have absolutely nothing in common - except for the motto. Usually a coat of arms tells the story of the person and his/her family - and sometimes his/her craft. Two completely different crests is a mystery [huh]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany