Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is it a set - a felt hood and a grosgrain ribbon? If so, it should be possible to block the hood as a fedora. If the grosgrain is a yard or longer, it's long enough for a fedora.

It is a set, though the ribbon measures only about 20".
It is my hope this can be crafted into a fedora. A new sixty year old fedora.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It measures 10" tall x 14 3/4" at the open end.

Thanks!

It appears to me to be, and I do so wish that someone who bloody well knows might agree, that this is a viable body but prior to being tippered & brimmed & wet blocked, the first two seemingly involve wetting & further stretching & expansion of the size of the body, the final serves to give the body its rough shape. Right? The ribbon is simply an ornamental suggestion. Some hot water, stretching & forming might make Pinocchio here into a real hat, is my hope.
Possible? [huh]

This looks quite like the little felt hats worn by those in the Nordic/Scandinavian Countries e.g.- the Norsemen, Norwiggers, Squareheads, Lappish & Rus in the saunas of their native lands... to induce hyperthermia, I'm guessing. :D

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
Keep drinking... the answer will be clear!

dear sir
often times lifes inspirations come at the least expected times ( meaning play nice u D )
now that said the hats on the way , im in negotiations on the band and a really neat hat pin with an elephant on it highland river or somthing or another
but first and foremost dont be hatin on someone who gets inspired on a sat drink

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Dear Loungers,

Who made Saks Fifth Avenue hats? I read somewhere that they made their own, but I'm just curious if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.

Mr.Astor

Banned
I have one made by John Wanamaker Philadelphia beautiful felt. Soft sweat nice imprinting on band it's stamped Preston overwelt but very similar to my Cavanaugh. Saks was New York, John Wanamaker was Philadelphia they were high end stores. I would assume they were made under license from Stetson high end quality. IMHO!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Dear Loungers,

Who made Saks Fifth Avenue hats? I read somewhere that they made their own, but I'm just curious if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks.

All Saks Fifth Avenue house-brand hats that I've seen were made by Crofut & Knapp/Hat Corporation of America. That doesn't mean that HCA was their exclusive supplier, but I feel comfortable saying that they made the majority of them.

Brad

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
I'm relatively new to Hats. I"ve just started buying a couple of fedoras and a few Akubras. My general hat size is 7 1/4, a 58. Sometimes a 7 1/8 or 57 will do well.

The problem: I was looking on the Bay the other day for felt hats and came across a custom Manny Gammage hat is size 7 1/4. The ticket is in the box with the hat.....made in 1997.
It apparently was made for a woman, since her name is inside. Looks like it was worn once or twice since there is the slightest hint of makeup on the front part of the hatband.

Since the hat was labeled a 7 1/4, I bought it. Came today and I can barely get it on my head. Beautiful hat, though!

Question: Are mens and womens hat sizes that different? I thought a 7 1/4 is a 7 1/4.

I'm relatively new to Hats. I"ve just started buying a couple of fedoras and a few Akubras. My general hat size is 7 1/4, a 58. Sometimes a 7 1/8 or 57 will do well.

The problem: I was looking on the Bay the other day for felt hats and came across a custom Manny Gammage hat is size 7 1/4. The ticket is in the box with the hat.....made in 1997.
It apparently was made for a woman, since her name is inside. Looks like it was worn once or twice since there is the slightest hint of makeup on the front part of the hatband.

Since the hat was labeled a 7 1/4, I bought it. Came today and I can barely get it on my head. Beautiful hat, though!

Question: Are mens and womens hat sizes that different? I thought a 7 1/4 is a 7 1/4.

Not aware of a male/female hat size difference like with shoes, just the bow on the other side of the crown....

fedoracentric

Banned

I was under the impression that in the old days hats made solely for women were sold not with a hat size tag such as 7, 7-1/8, 7-1/4, etc. but in inches such as 22, 22-1.4, etc. Mainly because women have so much hair that their skull size has to be combined with the extra padding of their hair so a man's hat size is less helpful to them. Whereas men, who usually have less hair piled up, can go easier with the traditional hat sizes.

Now, I am not sure if the woman's hat market is still alive enough to have its own systems any more. Maybe Carmel Smoothie can answer that. Maybe today they use what was once considered the men's hat sizes?

Still, a size is a size and if it fits, it fits. When you get right down to it, it really shouldn't matter.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Why is it difficult to find nice hats that have as much ventilation as this:
fedora-black.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was under the impression that in the old days hats made solely for women were sold not with a hat size tag such as 7, 7-1/8, 7-1/4, etc. but in inches such as 22, 22-1.4, etc. Mainly because women have so much hair that their skull size has to be combined with the extra padding of their hair so a man's hat size is less helpful to them. Whereas men, who usually have less hair piled up, can go easier with the traditional hat sizes.

Now, I am not sure if the woman's hat market is still alive enough to have its own systems any more. Maybe Carmel Smoothie can answer that. Maybe today they use what was once considered the men's hat sizes?

Still, a size is a size and if it fits, it fits. When you get right down to it, it really shouldn't matter.

Crofut & Knapp/Dobbs/Knox all sold women's hats with men's hat sizes in them, and this is throughout their history.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass