Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
How do you distinguish wool felt from fur felt? Is there a reliable way to test?

On old friend worked on high-end boats for a number of years -- lots of repair and finish work, et cetera. He could tell you what kind of wood you had there just by looking at it.

Many of us here would have little difficulty telling a fur felt hat from a woolie. If the eyes lie, the fingers will expose that lie.

An experienced person might get tripped up by an unusually poor quality rabbit fur hat. I've handled some with such a rough finish that it could be mistaken for wool. But I've yet to see a woolie I'd mistake for fur felt. Perhaps such a hat exists, but it hasn't made its way to me yet.

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Does anybody have any experience with Stetson's Buffalo fur hats? I think they call it the Bison Collection. I was just curious about the quality and durability of the felt. Thanks for your help.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Does anybody have any experience with Stetson's Buffalo fur hats? I think they call it the Bison Collection. I was just curious about the quality and durability of the felt. Thanks for your help.

Received today one of those... 4x Stetson Buffalo Collection Corral model... 100% wool. I'll post pictures of it later in the new hats thread.
The crown looks like a helmet...

On old friend worked on high-end boats for a number of years -- lots of repair and finish work, et cetera. He could tell you what kind of wood you had there just by looking at it.

Many of us here would have little difficulty telling a fur felt hat from a woolie. If the eyes lie, the fingers will expose that lie.

An experienced person might get tripped up by an unusually poor quality rabbit fur hat. I've handled some with such a rough finish that it could be mistaken for wool. But I've yet to see a woolie I'd mistake for fur felt. Perhaps such a hat exists, but it hasn't made its way to me yet.

With some old German and Austrian (also Italian, French, ..) hats it can be difficult. For example this old German hat. It could be a blend but I am not sure.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/130-ems-hutfabrik/

This old Austrian catalog lists Fur (Biber = Beaver) - Wool (Woll) / Loden blends and higher price point Wools (Merino).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/134-alois-pichler-hut-niederlage-wien/

You had different types of Wool such as Vicuña at the high end. This old German Negretti Wool stiff felt of mine is high quality (also only 110 grams).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/58-negretti/#entry321

Heavily worn pre 1940s Brüder Böhm Wool soft felt.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-bruder-bohm-hutfabrik/page__st__20#entry798

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Wool? The descriptions are very misleading then. They make it sound like a tough hat that is a blend of fur and buffalo. Thanks Joao.

I though the same. The pictures in the auction showed the 4X Buffalo stamped on the sweatband but it have in tiny letter on the size tag 100% wool, Made in USA, From imported wools. :(
Some picture of it:
4xbuff01.jpg

4xbuff03.jpg

Edit: One more picture
4xbuff06.jpg

It seems the same as this one... -> http://www.stetson.com/hats/corral-cowboy-hat-in-black

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
In the pictures it looks like a nice hat Joao. I can't believe Stetson would be that misleading. This ad is really bad. Click on the "more" and read the entire description.

http://www.polyvore.com/stetson_4x_buffalo_corral_fur/thing?id=54499101

Well I sent a message to Stetson via facebook. Don't know if they reply there. Will wait 1 or 2 days, then will send a message through they store website.
It looks really nice but have the same feel as a wool hat (less rough than my XX premium wool Resistol) so I believe it is wool.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This is what Stetson replied to me:
Thanks for writing! Sounds like you have a great collection. I think the best way to answer your question is that we create some of our hat styles in a few different materials so that we can offer a wider price range and cater to everyone's budget. That way people can get the same look, but you pay extra for the better feel.
Sound like if you wanted a budget Stetson 100 and they would make you one in wool with all things associated with a "real" one.

Well I inquired them again asking to confirm if they have this Corral hat model in the American Buffalo Collection made in different materials.
Waiting for a reply...

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
There is more then one Stetson group on facebook. If you are posting to the plain old Stetson group that is Stetson Corp. They own the rights to the name and license it to Hatco, Dorfman and others. They may not be the best place to ask a question. I would try one of the Stetson hat pages. the bigger of the two seems to be western hats and the small dress.

Jeff

FiftiesMan

New in Town
HI guys,
I'm new to the Lounge. I just bought a Stetson & am trying to identify it. I was sure it was an Open Road but it is not marked as such. It is a vintage Clear Beaver 50 7X. It looks identical to an Open Road down to the wind strap. It's an off white color. Can anyone help please.

FiftiesMan

New in Town
Pictures help.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll get a couple of pics up over the weekend. Does anyone know of an Open Road not being stamped as such on the sweat band. Where you would expect that to be it just says "Beaver 50". I've always loved hats but have just got to the point where I can splurge a little on myself, if I can get to it before the wife spends it on the grandkids. :) Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll get a couple of pics up over the weekend. Does anyone know of an Open Road not being stamped as such on the sweat band. Where you would expect that to be it just says "Beaver 50". I've always loved hats but have just got to the point where I can splurge a little on myself, if I can get to it before the wife spends it on the grandkids. :) Anyway, thanks again.
Topic has been covered quite well but short answer, Yes. Many exist of 25's & 50's that are not stamped "Open Road" or "The Open Road". That doesn't mean that there wasn't a paper label affixed to the hat or on the original box or invoice that did say Open Road. Refurbished ones may not have gotten a stamped sweatband as a replacement either.
Any markings behind the sweatband or on the back of the sweatband?
More modern models had paper tags that had the model name & no stamping on the sweat. The tags were easily lost or removed.

fedoracentric

Banned
Does anyone know of an Open Road not being stamped as such on the sweat band. Where you would expect that to be it just says "Beaver 50".

I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think the "Beaver 50" was about the same as the 7X and first showed up in the 1960s.

As far as unmarked ORs, it is correct that after the 70s sometimes the model was marked on that fold-down paper tag and not the sweatband.

But, if that tag is missing it is hard to claim it to be a real OR.

Stetson was all over the map with things, though. Like the De Luxe could be made in the style of an OR but not marked OR. Sometimes the 3X would not have "Open Road" marked on the sweatband, other times it did even in the 50s and 60s.

To be on the safe side, on all Stetsons I just don't call them a true Open Road or Whippet of what have you unless it is marked somewhere inside the hat. If no marking, I append "Whippet-style" (or whatever model) to any description.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925