Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deano

New in Town
Lefty said:
There are very few Borsos with beaver in them. If it's not marked as such on the sweat (or with "castoro" or something of the like), then it's not beaver - which is not to say it might not be a good hat.
so are you saying its still good
the sweat just says borsalino in the useal way and made in new york next to it

SteveAS

Practically Family
deano said:
so are you saying its still good
the sweat just says borsalino in the useal way and made in new york next to it

I'm no expert, but since it's not beaver and it's made in New York (!), I'm by no means confident it's a good buy. It would help if you'd post pictures.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Chainsaw said:
Can I use a weight lifting kidney belt as a shrop, to sharpen my straight razor?

I've not used one of those on a straight razor, but I have stropped knives to a razor edge on mine. I like its width on hunting knives.

I use the smooth side for stropping. You can also use the rough side if you put some jeweler's rouge or white buffing compound on first. But if you've honed the razor properly you should be able to use just the smooth side of the belt to good effect.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Deano, the hat is not beaver as claimed. Nor is it an example of a collectible Borsalino. But at a glance it appears to be in good shape. If you like the style, I think 30 is a fair price. Hopefully, it will fit well and you will love it. Enjoy! ;)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
deano said:
I didn't win so I'm happy.

Good, now you can focus in on a good one. In your size it won't be too difficult. But be willing to pay more if required ... ;)

deano

New in Town
zetwal said:
Good, now you can focus in on a good one. In your size it won't be too difficult. But be willing to pay more if required ... ;)
I'm a English 7 so I was very worried anyway.
I would like something fine but a bit from the norm. I like teardrop, and a nice deep red ribbon.
But don't really know what make.
How do you know what is a collectable vintage?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
deano said:
How do you know what is a collectable vintage?

Maybe, someone else can think of a better way to answer your question, but here's what comes to mind for me.

The single best thing is to see and handle hats of all types and ages. You can also observe which hats generate the most interest on ebay and/or here in the classifieds, and try to figure out why. You can learn much by reading various Lounge threads, such as those on felt quality, those on Borsalinos, those on dating hats, and so on.

When all is said and done, once you know what's out there, go with what you like rather than what others say is good. Does that make sense? ;)

Chainsaw

Suspended
JimWagner said:
I've not used one of those on a straight razor, but I have stropped knives to a razor edge on mine. I like its width on hunting knives.

I use the smooth side for stropping. You can also use the rough side if you put some jeweler's rouge or white buffing compound on first. But if you've honed the razor properly you should be able to use just the smooth side of the belt to good effect.

Thank you Jim.

deano

New in Town
zetwal said:
Maybe, someone else can think of a better way to answer your question, but here's what comes to mind for me.

The single best thing is to see and handle hats of all types and ages. You can also observe which hats generate the most interest on ebay and/or here in the classifieds, and try to figure out why. You can learn much by reading various Lounge threads, such as those on felt quality, those on Borsalinos, those on dating hats, and so on.

When all is said and done, once you know what's out there, go with what you like rather than what others say is good. Does that make sense? ;)
Yes bur living in England we don't have loads of hat shops. There is a hatters near me but his is new not vintage. And he doesn't have the hats mentioned on here.
Hence why I was looking through eBay. Thanks anyway

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Naelo,

Superb hat in virtually new condition. I'm not a vintage Borsa expert, but I'd agree with the previous posters on their comments, except with regard to how you should price it. Given its pristine condition, if it was in fact made in the late 50s/early 60s (the fur felt from that era is wonderful), I'd ask at least $150.

I'd recommend throwing up your post and pics on the "Borsalino Brotherhood" thread, where the real cognoscenti can weigh in. Don't be surprised if you get an offer to buy it there. 7 3/8 being one of the most common sizes, that alone will enhance its sellability, while the velour finish will reduce its appeal and value somewhat.

With regard to that finish, the "spiral" pattern you describe, though accentuated by proper counterclockwise brushing, is inherent in the process of manufacturing long-haired fur felt hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925