Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
know of anywhere online ?

can't find them at any of the stores sites

I really only need the button ... but would take a the entire cord

I have a 40s Knox Superfine that is missing the front of the button ... it bothers me something awful :)

Moon, I've recently started to make my own. Read ingineer's thread first, though. If you're looking to make them to match the ribbon, get on line and look for Dritz Cover Button kits. I use #18, which I can't find locally and get at Amazon. I have been using elastic cord I find at Joanne Fabric. http://www.joann.com/search?q=elastic cord
I've been using the multicolor packs, as the colors there tend to go pretty well with many ribbons. I've had mixed results trying to dye the cords to match the ribbon, though.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Chamuco, I don't own either but if the hats look at all similar I wouldn't get the exact same color. I hesitate to get the exact same color in almost any hat. Just sayin.

RobertM

Familiar Face
Question, as most know, buying a hat online can be a gamble, color, crown height and bash, brim width, etc adds to the gamble. Long and short of it, I am size 61 and usually XL - 7 5/8" fits/sits fine. This is a 7 7/8" and was loose, so I inserted a foam strip around the inner band and fits better, though a little loose. i will also adjust/shape the brim. I'm thinking this is too wide a hat for my head/face as well as sits too low on my head (quick/down and dirty picture aside). Waddya think?
R 030.jpg

RobertM

Familiar Face
Robert; Looks fine to me. On all my Sunbodys and Panamas i go up one size , they have tendency to shrink

Richard and RJR,

Thanks guys, I guess I have to get used to it; maybe another small wrap of tape around the inner band. Why would the straw shrink? I'll try and steam the brim and straighten it out as it was not shipped as well as it needed to. Its not a light weight straw hat by any means. This was not terribly expensive ~ 150.00, but ain't cheap either.

ingineer

One Too Many
You ain't saying whose hat but at 150 bucks it prob has a leather sweatband, They will shrink almost for certain.
I buy all my Akubras one size too large because of this.
My panama bobs are all 1 size too large for only a few wearings
Welcome from Exit 155

RobertM

Familiar Face
Richard and RJR,

Thanks guys, I guess I have to get used to it; maybe another small wrap of tape around the inner band. Why would the straw shrink? I'll try and steam the brim and straighten it out as it was not shipped as well as it needed to. Its not a light weight straw hat by any means. This was not terribly expensive ~ 150.00, but ain't cheap either.
I bought it from a men's online clothes store - TRUE MEASURE - used to be JL Powell. They call it a Kiawah straw hate - means nothing, and don't say who the maker is, but I know they are USA and IIFC, a small hatmaker in the South. Actually, the inner band is some kind of cloth, not leather. Yep, Clifton is just a few miles down the road from Glen Ridge/Montclair

TPD166

One Too Many
This is likely a futile question, so maybe it is more of a cautionary tale for others. During a recent military deployment and move to a new house, most of my hats sat idle for about two years with no ill effects. But I discovered an issue with two of my straw hats last night.

I have a decent quality Panama hat with a black cloth sweat band I bought on line a few years ago. The Panama was stored by sitting it on top my shantung "straw" Stetson Open Road, which was sitting on a hat stand. Now that I am back at my civilian job, I pulled out the Stetson OR last night so I could wear it today and found a black stain around the crown from the Panama's sweat band. These hats always been stored indoors - air conditioned, no moisture. And I have never had any issues wearing the Panama in hot weather.

I first tried cleaning the shantung OR with Clorox wipes, when that didn't work, I tried Oxy-Clean spray and scrub brush - still no luck (though the stain is a little lighter). So any ideas on how I might clean the OR or should it just become my new hat for yard work? (I already ordered a replacement) I will say that I was quite impressed with how well the shantung stood up to my vigorous cleaning attempts.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
any one of you consider yourself well versed in Caxton hats ?

if so I have a question for you ... let me know please

thank you

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
any one of you consider yourself well versed in Caxton hats ?

if so I have a question for you ... let me know please

thank you

Moon - I acquired a pair of Caxton Strat clones a few months ago and am pleased with the quality. No, they're not Stetsons, and the brims aren't as wide as real strats, but the felt quality is top-notch for what could be considered a lower-value hat.

foamy

A-List Customer
Another newbie question: With horsehair hat bands, are the tassels worn on the side or are they in the back?

It seems (though, I can't remember where) that I've seen them worn on the back in Central America on Panamas, but I always see them on the side on North American cowboy hats. I'm a bit confused. Am I mis-remembering something?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Robert that is a tough one. always be careful of putting hats on top of light colored hats. You seem to have done all you can. Luckily the Open Road is not an expensive hat to replace.

Jeff

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks Jeff - I have learned my lesson. I told my wife the same thing last night - that I am glad it was the OR and not something that couldn't be easily replaced.

Robert that is a tough one. always be careful of putting hats on top of light colored hats. You seem to have done all you can. Luckily the Open Road is not an expensive hat to replace.

Jeff

foamy

A-List Customer
I wear them both ways. But I am not well versed in cowboy ritual.
Eh, not so much a cowboy hat, just a generic, inexpensive, self-blocked Cuenca that I bought a horse hair band for. Perfectly round. My "knock-about" hat. I've been wearing it in the back, but it could just as easily be worn on the side. Just wanted to know how it supposed to work. Guess I can do as you do—wear it where I feel like on a given day.

Thanks for the reply.

Attachments

• hat.jpg
    hat.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

ingineer

One Too Many
Foamy;
Yes wear them as you like.
The modern cowboy band i do believe is a vestige of when they were braided to be functional chin straps.
Now just decoration, If they are functional the tassels get in the way, thus worn behind.
"Hitching horsehair involves using hair from a horse's tail and tying thousands of tiny half hitch knots to form a pattern. The art was originally brought to the Americas by spanish explorers and has since been used by cowboys, Indians, sheep herders, mexicans and especially prisoners. Montana's State Prison at Deer Lodge is perhaps the best known source for hitched horsehair cowboy trappings. Other prisons known for hitched horsehair include Yuma, Arizona; Walla Walla, Washington, and Rawlins, Wyoming."
Stolen from
http://a-drifting-cowboy.blogspot.com/2012/10/hitched-horsehair-deer-lodge-prison.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24