Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Do keep in mind that Western hats are plentiful and relatively inexpensive on ebay, even for (lower end) beaver blends. Every Western hat has a fedora inside just waiting to be set free. If you are the handy type it is quite simple to convert one with a brim trim, a steaming and reshaping of the crown and a new ribbon if necessary. Lounger T.Jones has quite a collection of beautiful hats converted this way. You just need to find one with the right crown height and color. Check out The Conversion Corral thread for a ton of pics of cowboy hats "elevated" by Loungers.

2. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........................…………………………………………………
    I need a "don't like button". Maybe the report button works the same...

B1ggles, stratcat and Bob Roberts like this.
  3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

LOL

4. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

Joao, I'm with you 100% about the button idea, and I wish they'd do it on all websites. Something stronger, though, like "Go, **** ********!"

5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Dont forget our friend "Otis."

6. Not-Bogart13

Not-Bogart13 Call Me a Cab

I wish I could say it's easy to find an actual hat store, but... it isn't.
    If you want hats with "character," it's still not cheap, but getting second hand fedoras on line that are a bit beat up is less expensive. As far as experimentation, I think your instincts may be right on what brims and crowns will look good on you. Also, as you become more comfortable wearing hats, you will, almost mystically, start wearing them more naturally. At that point, the styles that work for you might branch out.

About the hair - if you sometimes cut your hair short, there might be a size/fit difference, too. If you want a hat that you can wear with long or short hair, do your measuring while you have the longer hair. You can always pad a slightly loose hat, but a tight hat is much harder to deal with.

7. Sol James

Sol James New in Town

The point I was trying to make about hair was less to do with the fit of the hat and more to do with how hair changes the way a hat looks. I know he is ridiculously handsome and could probably put a bag on his head and still look cool, but In my opinion Johnny depp looks much better in this hat when his hair is long and poking out the bottom. Others may disagree. Interesting to see the dramatic difference hair length makes though...

Attached Files:

8. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

You'll (the OP) get it when going outside and... theres something wrong! Damn I forgot the hat! And returns home to get it.

stratcat likes this.
  9. Socially Distorted

Socially Distorted New in Town

Hi there Sol.
    I was in a similar position to yourself 18 months ago and trying to find what worked for me. As someone earlier mentioned, I bought a few different styles of hat after starting out with cheap wool and then discovering for myself the world of difference in fur felt and then again in quality vintage fur felt!

Im in Yorkshire and so as i'm guessing it was the case in Birmingham, flat caps predominated and the only vintage fur felts i've found in the charity shops probably belonged to the local bank managers!

I'm also lucky having a 6 3/4 - 6 7/8 hat size and in that a 2 inch brim on me looks like a 2 1/2 inch on a bigger guy! I reckon a good bet for you might be looking at the plethora of Dunn and co fedoras from the 60's-70's that come up on ebay.uk. (still plenty of wider brims in the UK then!) They are nothing special in quality (they were a precurser to topman, who probably had a hand in their demise, or about what Burton's is today) but are easily shapeable and had most had very little if any taper to the crown and are usually to be had for under £20. I'd also recomend using the advice and detailed threads on here to decipher some of the labeling sellers do on ebay, lots don't know what they're selling and bargains can definately be had.

Take it easy

SD

stratcat likes this.
  10. stratcat

stratcat One of the Regulars

The OPs in the UK, and ebay uk doesn't have the amount of quality hats that the US has.
    There was a thread on here some time ago that had a list of 'proper' hat shops in the UK. If I remember rightly, most were in London with one or two others dotted about. I'll have a look to see if I can find it.

I hope the gig went well, I'm sure the hat added value to your perfromance :D
    What kind of stuff do you play? There's quite a few of us who play guitar on here.

11. Sol James

Sol James New in Town

I've never sung as well as o did last night!! It's all down to the hat I'm sure!
    We play country, skiffle, rock n roll kind of stuff.. All acoustic. Lots of close harmonies... Here Are a couple of videos from a few weeks back. Hope you don't mind me sharing. See what you think. I'm in my straw hat in both!!

PapaDoc and Bob Roberts like this.
  12. JoeyC

JoeyC One of the Regulars

Sol, welcome. You have youth, good looks and a desire to wear proper hats, all good attributes. Several styles will look good on you. Google Mellegari (sp.) hats in Italy, I think you might find something you'll like. I, like you, prefer tall square crown hats with moderate sized brims 2 3/8"- 2 1/2" in my fedoras. Good Luck.

Joe

Bob Roberts likes this.
  13. stratcat

Great music, very enjoyable, thanks. I've got a colleague that is very much into a similar style - close harmony+acoustic. Nice wheels too, is the Triumph yours?
    Man, you've got good taste, guitars, hats and bikes ;)

14. stratcat

B1ggles likes this.
  15. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Havnt seen your pic posts in our daily circus...?

16. JoeyC

JoeyC One of the Regulars

I, unlike Sol, no longer have my youth or good looks, add to that I'm a bit of an old dinosaur and don't even own an i-phone so can't take a selfie:(
    Tough trying to hold an i-pad steady and taking a selfie. Perhaps one day.

Joe

17. Sol James

Sol James New in Town

I'm a bit of a technophobe my self to be honest. I think the photos I posted here were my first ever "selfies"! Just finished another gig. Donned the hat for a second time... People seem to dig it!
    It's funny, I've worn a straw hat for a number of years but wearing this new fedora, although it's not perfect, really makes me feel great! the straw hat never this impact on me!

Bob Roberts likes this.
  18. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Ha. I think I kno what u mean. Took me almost a year to figure out how to post pics.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  19. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

(Sigh) well, it was nice while it lasted...

:p

Bob Roberts likes this.
  20. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Hahahaha! I'll just have to get some more hats to make it interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk