Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bikermutt07

New in Town
Leonardo_DiCaprio-Django-Unchained.png

Yeah , some of them looked like that . But that doesn't look like a bowler , unless the crown was taken down .
The Custom Hatter has what he calls "classic coachman". He also claims he can make any movie hat. So, maybe one day I can afford to have him make me one. Good looking hat. Thanks.

JTortola

New in Town
Hi All,

Ive been lurking for a while now but figured its finally time to dive in. I've always had a thing for hats, though until now it's usually just interesting cheap ones that Ive found in various places. It's time to start upping my game a bit so I started looking for my first fur felt fedora a couple months ago at local shops in my area (JJ Hat Center, etc). I fell in love with the Stratoliner Special Edition in Caribou, but fear in my bad timing I may have missed the chance to buy one in my size. When I went to purchase they were out of my size, but said they were getting more in. That was a month and a half ago and still nothing. Now they are starting to get tons of straw hats in.

My question is, can someone explain the process of buying a real fedora to me at a retail store? I know this seems like a strange question, but specifically, are there different seasons for hats? Are there a limited number of a type of hat and once they are gone, that's it? Do the same hats usually come back the next year for their respective season or are there totally new styles every year. I know all these beauties are made by hand, how long does it usually take to make them?

I'm asking specifically because I'm curious about the strat, but also generally as this is all new to me and I'd like to know more about the process. Hope these questions make sense.

Thanks you,
J

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
J ... first of all welcome home

JJ will stock Strats pretty regularly because it is a pretty good seller
they will get it back in stock ... unless you are a huge noggin owner like an 8 or something.
this time of year stores are stocking up on straws but they will always have fur felts in stock as well ... but also around this time you may find some "sales" on fur felt hats .
restocking can often take a few weeks and even months at times but they always come back ... unless is it something that the company is discontinuing ... which the strat is not.
I'm sure Jose, Colin, or Adam would be glad to put in an order for you ... if I were you though I would just wait for the stock to replenish because then you could try on many of the same hat and get the one that feels best to you ... there is alway a touch of difference in each hat... even hats of the same brand, model, and size.
that being said ... sometimes "special editions" don't come back.
give them a call or stop in to talk to them about it.
many may say to just order online ... but I recommend walking into the store and physically handling the hat so you know exactly what you are walking out with.
so many loungers do not live near great hat shops the way you and I do ... we need to not take that for granted and take advantage of the great opportunity that we have.

Last edited:
^^^^Listen to the man.

Welcome, as well, JTortola. You are fortunate to live near a real hat shop. Not all have that advantage, as Moonie sez. Also, poke around here and get a sense of the different styles out there. Peruse the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread for a week or two - if you can keep up with these guys!

You can't go wrong with a Strat, though (coming from a guy who doesn't own one :rolleyes:)
Yet.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
^^^^Listen to the man.

Welcome, as well, JTortola. You are fortunate to live near a real hat shop. Not all have that advantage, as Moonie sez. Also, poke around here and get a sense of the different styles out there. Peruse the What Hat Are You Wearing Today thread for a week or two - if you can keep up with these guys!

You can't go wrong with a Strat, though (coming from a guy who doesn't own one :rolleyes:)
Yet.

that is some great advice ... to poke a round for a week or so to see what jumps out at you ... get a feel for how these hats look on other members ... it is very useful

I spent a lot of money on hats that became useless to me after settling in on the style that I really loved

learn from my mistakes

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hi All,

Ive been lurking for a while now but figured its finally time to dive in. I've always had a thing for hats, though until now it's usually just interesting cheap ones that Ive found in various places. It's time to start upping my game a bit so I started looking for my first fur felt fedora a couple months ago at local shops in my area (JJ Hat Center, etc). I fell in love with the Stratoliner Special Edition in Caribou, but fear in my bad timing I may have missed the chance to buy one in my size. When I went to purchase they were out of my size, but said they were getting more in. That was a month and a half ago and still nothing. Now they are starting to get tons of straw hats in.

My question is, can someone explain the process of buying a real fedora to me at a retail store? I know this seems like a strange question, but specifically, are there different seasons for hats? Are there a limited number of a type of hat and once they are gone, that's it? Do the same hats usually come back the next year for their respective season or are there totally new styles every year. I know all these beauties are made by hand, how long does it usually take to make them?

I'm asking specifically because I'm curious about the strat, but also generally as this is all new to me and I'd like to know more about the process. Hope these questions make sense.

Thanks you,
J
J&J are good people , they are NYC's Oldest Hat Shop . They'll get the hat you want in . In a retail store you go in and try on hats to see what looks good on you , your size , and color . J&J Hat Center has several location around NYC , the Main Shop , then associate shops . On their site they give the locations . Pork Pie Hatters in East Village is one and the guy that works there has a bunch of great videos on buying hats , they cover everything .

They may have Stetson Stratoliners , but be out of that color in your size , but still have your size in other colors , ... it happens all the time . Or that color in other sizes . I know I watch J&J and a hat I was looking at the same thing happened , but there are other retailers . But in some cases (one in particular) they say doesn't ship for 2 - 3 months , but most will tell you if your size and color your wanting are in stock . Some hats are discontinued , or colors , but Stetson Stratoliners in Caribou Grey have been around a long time . Silver Belly , Caribou (grey) , Black , and Fawn , I think are pretty standard , but you don't see fawn a lot , chocolate (dark brown) are available some places , well I think those are Open Road colors , Stratoliner in some lines have more variety , I think , Walnut , and another I can't think of , but Stratoliners have 2 1/2 inch brims , Open Road have 2 3/4 inch , more sometimes . But there are other manufactures of almost identical hats , some better quality , most worse , there's a list on here , I've seen , especially for vintage hats . Stratoliners come open crown normally , but some will say traditional teardrop pinch , Open Roads come with a tight cattleman cease only , now , brand new anyway . But you can always change the crease , it just depends on the crown height and your head what will work . Akubra Campdraft are open crown , and Akubra are great hats , they used to make Open Roads for Stetson at one time , but David Morgan is the USA distributor , and I think you have to order Campdrafts from Australia , like from Hats Direct , or Everything Australian , but there's shipping involved , and if you have to send it back or there's a problem . If you want a Campdraft I recommend Hats Direct , they a little higher priced , but you get better service , I've heard . Hats Direct are big , and have a great website , many on here have ordered from them I'm sure .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Pork Pie Hatters in East Village is one and the guy that works there has a bunch of great videos on buying hats , they cover everything .

Kevin... where he is a really great guy ... and he is ... I have spent a lot of time with him ... I would be careful as to how much advice you take from him and how much you trust his actual knowledge of hats ... especially regarding anything vintage

... I'll just leave it at that

Last edited:

JTortola

New in Town
^^^^Listen to the man.

Yet.

Wow! Thank you all so much for the quick response and great advice. Never would have expected this many responses so quickly. I actually have been watching the 'what hat are you wearing today' forum quite a bit, that is where I first saw the Stratoliner and liked it alot. Then I went into the store and saw the special edition with contrasting colors and fell in love. Thought it was so interesting, so hopefully it comes back! I did just see a couple on ebay, but as per your advice Moon, it's better to try em on.

The ultimate goal is to eventually get a few sweet open crowns, as everything I've read on here taught me that's the way to go. For now though, going to hopefully start off with this to dip my toes in as the open crowns all seem quite a bit more expensive, and I'm not versed in steaming and pinching and all just yet.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Thank you all so much for the quick response and great advice. Never would have expected this many responses so quickly. I actually have been watching the 'what hat are you wearing today' forum quite a bit, that is where I first saw the Stratoliner and liked it alot. Then I went into the store and saw the special edition with contrasting colors and fell in love. Thought it was so interesting, so hopefully it comes back! I did just see a couple on ebay, but as per your advice Moon, it's better to try em on.

The ultimate goal is to eventually get a few sweet open crowns, as everything I've read on here taught me that's the way to go. For now though, going to hopefully start off with this to dip my toes in as the open crowns all seem quite a bit more expensive, and I'm not versed in steaming and pinching and all just yet.

I promise if you poke around here enough you will learn everything you need to know about bashing... Mostly from just pictures of every style bash you can think of

Some guys here are just masters

Also check out the Monster Bash thread for some insightful videos on the subject

After you bash your first open crown you will never want anything but going forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'll try to keep it simple for the situation at the moment. You LOVE that particular Strat. I would imagine you know how it looks on you and you also know your size. You can wait... and wait some more... For that particular hat to arrive at your local hat store or maybe not arrive at all. OR... you can go online and do a good extensive search and possibly/probably find it alot quicker and maybe for a lot less $$$ than at your local shop. There are many good online "shops" out there with better prices and lots of "brick and mortar" shops selling on the web as well. Some, like DelMonicos frequently have online specials on Stetsons and you can call many dealers up as well and ask, they'll often offer you special prices over the phone that they wouldn't offer to walk in's. That's what I would do, start doing a deep search for that particular hat that you truely love. Ya never kno, you may find it and be wearing it in a few days.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'll try to keep it simple for the situation at the moment. You LOVE that particular Strat. I would imagine you know how it looks on you and you also know your size. You can wait... and wait some more... For that particular hat to arrive at your local hat store or maybe not arrive at all. OR... you can go online and do a good extensive search and possibly/probably find it alot quicker and maybe for a lot less $$$ than at your local shop. There are many good online "shops" out there with better prices and lots of "brick and mortar" shops selling on the web as well. Some, like DelMonicos frequently have online specials on Stetsons and you can call many dealers up as well and ask, they'll often offer you special prices over the phone that they wouldn't offer to walk in's. That's what I would do, start doing a deep search for that particular hat that you truely love. Ya never kno, you may find it and be wearing it in a few days.

or you may get it and it doesn't fit ... or it has an imperfection that would have stopped you from buying it in store... or you simply may not like it in person

I'm a firm believer in ... if you live near a shop ... go to the shop and hold the hat in your hand

by the time you pay for all the shipping back and forth and send endless emails trying to work out the problems the price evens itself out

if I've ordered 10 hats sight unseen ... 8 of them had to go back for one reason or another​

I was hesitant to say this at first, because I didn't want to "overwhelm" you. However, while I realize the open crowns are more expensive, eventually you will prefer them. A hat can last a very long time, and should. Like many things, spending the extra cash and getting the better one for the long haul is normally preferable. And don't be freaked about bashing, it ain't rocket surgery. If you don't like it, you can change it.

Having said that, they don't offer the open crown Strats in those sweet contrasting color combos, so I understand the attraction. Deckard did post a choice blue one to his Instagram account a few days ago - open crown, Excellent Quality.

Mmm.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

or you may get it and it doesn't fit ... or it has an imperfection that would have stopped you from buying it in store... or you simply may not like it in person

I'm a firm believer in ... if you live near a shop ... go to the shop and hold the hat in your hand

by the time you pay for all the shipping back and forth and send endless emails trying to work out the problems the price evens itself out

if I've ordered 10 hats sight unseen ... 8 of them had to go back for one reason or another​
Lol. I'm not fussy. I find the hats on line and then CALL the vendor. I make SURE by speaking to the right person be it the owner/mgr/customer service supervisor that the hat is as close to perfect as reasonably possible and if not will they take an exchage and pay for shipping both ways. Most say yes. I've ordered many sight unseen that way and have had only one problem. It was a recent production Stetson Whippet reg price abt $175 on sale for $150. It had a tiny light spot under the brim where the dye didn't take properly. Ended up getting it for less than $65 shipping included and I was thrilled. This works for me.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I was hesitant to say this at first, because I didn't want to "overwhelm" you. However, while I realize the open crowns are more expensive, eventually you will prefer them. A hat can last a very long time, and should. Like many things, spending the extra cash and getting the better one for the long haul is normally preferable. And don't be freaked about bashing, it ain't rocket surgery. If you don't like it, you can change it.

Having said that, they don't offer the open crown Strats in those sweet contrasting color combos, so I understand the attraction. Deckard did post a choice blue one to his Instagram account a few days ago - open crown, Excellent Quality.

View attachment 46696
Wouldn't want surgery done on my "rocket" either. Surgery on my brain may help.

Lol. I'm not fussy. I find the hats on line and then CALL the vendor. I make SURE by speaking to the right person be it the owner/mgr/customer service supervisor that the hat is as close to perfect as reasonably possible and if not will they take an exchage and pay for shipping both ways. Most say yes. I've ordered many sight unseen that way and have had only one problem. It was a recent production Stetson Whippet reg price abt $175 on sale for $150. It had a tiny light spot under the brim where the dye didn't take properly. Ended up getting it for less than $65 shipping included and I was thrilled. This works for me.

You, mean you communicate and manage expectations and it works?!!! Who'da thunk it! :p

Wouldn't want surgery done on my "rocket" either. Surgery on my brain may help.

Oh, just some mild electroshock therapy should do the trick. :D

There's a bird-brain joke around here somewhere. Let me find it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You, mean you communicate and manage expectations and it works?!!! Who'da thunk it! :p

Oh, just some mild electroshock therapy should do the trick. :D

There's a bird-brain joke around here somewhere. Let me find it.
Lol. Yes. The Olde Way. Sometimes a simple phone conversation can work wonders and save the bird-brain jokes for later.

Last edited:
...I think you have to order Campdrafts from Australia , like from Hats Direct , or Everything Australian , but there's shipping involved , and if you have to send it back or there's a problem . If you want a Campdraft I recommend Hats Direct , they a little higher priced , but you get better service , I've heard . Hats Direct are big , and have a great website , many on here have ordered from them I'm sure .
Excellent post, but I'd like to expand on this comment a bit.

I have ordered from both Hats Direct and Everything Australian, and have always received good service and quality products from both. The fundamental difference between the two is that Everything Australian sells a wide variety of products--hats, boots and shoes, clothing, camping equipment, backpacks, and so on--while Hats Direct sells only hats. As such, Everything Australian keeps a comparatively limited supply of the hats they sell in stock. To the customer, what this means is that you can order from Hats Direct and they will likely have the hat in stock to ship within a day or two, while Everything Australian may not have the hat in stock and will have to order it from Akubra, which can cause a delay of up to three months while Akubra makes your hat. But Everything Australian sells their hats for quite a bit less than Hats Direct--$30-40 U.S. less on average at the moment.

So that's the trade off. Order from Hats Direct and pay more but get the hat sooner, or order from Everything Australian and pay less but wait for up to three months.

...The ultimate goal is to eventually get a few sweet open crowns, as everything I've read on here taught me that's the way to go. For now though, going to hopefully start off with this to dip my toes in as the open crowns all seem quite a bit more expensive, and I'm not versed in steaming and pinching and all just yet.
None of us were "versed in steaming and pinching and all" when we first started wearing hats. You can gather some very helpful knowledge and tips from the experiences shared here on The Lounge, but the only way to truly learn how to crease a hat is to get your hands on one and do it. It's not as difficult as it appears, and it allows you to make the hat truly your own. That being said, I'd recommend starting with an open crown hat because hats that have been creased by the manufacturer tend to be resistant to re-shaping and may lead to frustration rather than satisfaction.

And welcome to The Lounge! I don't think there's a better resource on the 'Net for anyone who is interested in hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR