Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Changing topics ... I spotted a couple of Hats on the Bay , Stetsons and one is supposedly New Never Worn , but no x's , and doesn't say the quality . The other looks like a 70's fuzzy Western , but no x's , looks like beaver in the pictures , but I'm thinking wool . Larry Mahan wore a hairy beaver back in the day , and a buddy of mine that was a wrangler had one made , I think , he had one anyway . Shiny and glossy . The question is : What hats do Stetson not stick x's on ? That new one is modern for sure , and the 70's number (pretty sure , has the goofy hat band) neither have any info on material used , I don't get it . I know the x's are meaningless basically unless you get on up there .

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
"What hats do Stetson not stick x's on ?"

That really isn't a good question because nearly every model style they made had a corresponding version that was an X style. For instance, they had Open Roads that were just ORs with no Xs, and then ORs that had an X on them along with the "Open Road" stamp, then OR-styled hats that had neither the OR nor the X on them but still looked just like the OR! It was all over the place with the Xs. So, it's a bit hard to say what hat style they didn't put an X on at one point or another.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Changing topics ... I spotted a couple of Hats on the Bay , Stetsons and one is supposedly New Never Worn , but no x's , and doesn't say the quality . The other looks like a 70's fuzzy Western , but no x's , looks like beaver in the pictures , but I'm thinking wool . Larry Mahan wore a hairy beaver back in the day , and a buddy of mine that was a wrangler had one made , I think , he had one anyway . Shiny and glossy . The question is : What hats do Stetson not stick x's on ? That new one is modern for sure , and the 70's number (pretty sure , has the goofy hat band) neither have any info on material used , I don't get it . I know the x's are meaningless basically unless you get on up there .

That is a great question! We have a hat here (I may have to send to Tonyb to soak in Naptha for us) that is a Stetson. If you looked at it, you would think it is either a featherweight stratoliner or a featherweight O.R. it is thin felt body and as purty as a $20.00 gold piece. We guess it is from the late 1950's early 1960's and NO "X's" anywhere! No Model information or anything. I used some spray on it....stiffener and used too much too fast and now I need to get that back out of the brim.

When I posted the hat and made the inquiry to you fellows that may know more about Vintage Stetsons then we do, our good fellow lounger, Alan, seemed to think (if my memory is correct) that Stetson simply made some hats along the way and did not find the need to place any "X's" on the hat itself, and did not give a designated model anywhere on the hat itself. To compare the hand on this Stetson, it has that nice desired baby butt buttery cream feel to it, and is nicer than some of the higher rating hats we have had, such as a 25 by Dobbs, and a few other hats we have hat vintage.

I have while looking for hats to buy on the internet viewed other vintage hats from Stetson that also have no "X's" on the leather sweatband. Who really would know why they have some hats with no "X's" and some that do? I guess some Stetsons have a model or type of hat that takes away the need for the "X's" such as their NO 1 quality, and Sovereign hats, but beyond that I have no clue?

Stetson made and branded and sold a gazillion variations of their product over the years. There are many threads woven into the Fedora Lounge that attempt to document and try to find logic in the different style names and quality designations. Hats with Xs are a relatively small sector of these. There were early 20th century marks that incorporated X (a 1X Nutria I own comes to mind). The 3X, 4X, 5X and 7X designations were connected with price/quality levels. They appeared in pre war dress hats and westerns but we are most familiar with these marks in western and dress western styles after the second World War - most likely because these are the hats that survived in the largest numbers. At the end of the company's life and in its afterlife, the Xs went kablooey.

I'm in Los Angeles. I'm super-fluent in Spanish...and have lived in many parts of South America. And it's never stressful for me or even a problem to speak the language. I like to pick a fun errand like this as a way to get to know a culture. And it won't stress me out if that hat doesn't get blocked. I'd just rather see if I can get it done there!

Hi Khanh,

I appreciate what you're saying; however, it seems like from your description that the hat might need some fairly extensive work. If it needs to be re-blocked and a new sweat put in, that may not be a job that will be finished in the time you are in town. If there is a 2-3 week turnaround, you would be better off getting it done at home. However, if you're just wanting to immerse yourself in the experience, and they'll mail it back to you, mox nix.

I am going to Merida, Mexico and need a recommendation for a shop that can reblock my hat.

I have a Borsalino from the 30s. It's a favorite. But I took a vacation during a rainy season and the downpour really did a number on it: the hat shrank, the leather sweat band decayed, and the hat lost some of its shape. I wear this hat everywhere anyway because it's a happy-hat, so I'll probably wear this on my trip down to Mexico.

But if you know of a place to get it reblocked, I'd be grateful. Merida is famous for their version of the Panama hats. But I doubt I'll buy there, mainly because I have a signed superfino from Ecuador. I'm hoping that I can show up at a straw hat shop and see if I can get them to stretch out and block my hat. Any suggestions?
Sounds like you need a more durable travel lid. 30's Borsos are a thing of beauty & sounds like yours need a refurbishing.
Lots of place to reblock but with a decayed sweatband, reblocking is not all you need done to this lid.
If you want to make a beater out of it, so bet it. It is your lid after all. I wouldn't do that to a 30's Borso, too many ebay Stetson, Resistols, Knox. Dobbs, Champs, Adams, etc. out there. JMHO

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Stetson made and branded and sold a gazillion variations of their product over the years. There are many threads woven into the Fedora Lounge that attempt to document and try to find logic in the different style names and quality designations. Hats with Xs are a relatively small sector of these. There were early 20th century marks that incorporated X (a 1X Nutria I own comes to mind). The 3X, 4X, 5X and 7X designations were connected with price/quality levels. They appeared in pre war dress hats and westerns but we are most familiar with these marks in western and dress western styles after the second World War - most likely because these are the hats that survived in the largest numbers. At the end of the company's life and in its afterlife, the Xs went kablooey.

There we have it! And actually when one takes a long look at what hats we have seen pass by here on the lounge with a connection to Stetson....who can actually know for sure what all they have made during their History.

Yep, Alan, always a Gentlemen, states it best! Thank you sir!

paero123

New in Town
Hello Gentlemen,

Could you please identify hat a man with beard wears?
rozmowy_14.jpg Pitti_Uomo_2016_04.jpg Pitti_Uomo_2016_21.jpg
All the best
paero

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Last edited:

JTortola

New in Town
Hi All,
After all of the great info y'all gave me on my first post, I figured I'd hit you up with another Q. Tried finding this info elsewhere but couldn't find much...

I have almost given up trying to buy the hat that I have been seeking for 3 months now, as the sexy grey stratoliner SE with contrasting colors does not exist anywhere on earth for purchase, haha. As a next choice, I am considering the premier strat with open crown as many here have urged the open crown preference. None of this info is exactly necessary for my question though, haha.

Why is it that all open crown hats have significantly higher crowns than their non-open crown breteren. At least in my findings. For example, the Strat premier is 5 1/2 inches, and the royal is 4 1/2 inches. This has been true in other instances ive found as well. I think my head much prefers the lower profile but it seems all open crowns are much higher. Does this height shrink down to comparable lower heights when bashed, or are they just naturally taller always?

Cheers,
J

Well, for starters, I don't know what a pre-bashed Strat would open up to. Perhaps somebody can weigh in on that. Traditionally, I think Strats have always been 5 1/2" open, though.

I think, however, that the newer open crowns are designed for the market of folks who like the traditional, '40s - '50s look with a high crown, so they're just designed for that market. I don't think there would be a whole bunch of takers for an open crown hat less than 5 1/2". The folks that want an open crown hat wouldn't buy them.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
4 1/2 is the creased height

a 4 1/2" open crown would be a bit silly because you would bash it and end up with something like a 3 1/2" crown

with open crown hats you could make the crown as low as you want really ... with the proper bashing

even a 6" crown you could get away with anything from 5 1/2 to probably 4"

anything lower than 4" ... to me at least ... is getting into a territory where you may want to question if you actually want a fedora or not ... your interest may be in a different style hat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24