Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Welcome, fard. You'll get an education on hats here, from a lot of folks, without judgement but not a lot of support for crushable wools. I'd suggest you start by checking out Akubras. They have a nice website and several trusted retailers used by many here. Everything Australian is a good one.
I think this is some of the best advice. Many who have had to do the "trial and error" along the way of buying hats, could have learned much by starting out with an Akubra brand hat. I really think Akubra does not get enough publicity within even our hat community here. Price is very modest, styles are amazing, color selection is about average but then hard to beat for the price, and quality, is way up there for a hat in general as it will take a beating and can clean up and be worn again without a lot of worry.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Based on your description, I would check out the Akubra Lawson and Akubra Banjo Paterson. However, neither one has a brim quite that large, but they are quintessential outback hats with generous brims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a larger brim option, you might look at the Akubra Colly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally worked up the nerve to clean a vintage hat in naptha. The good news is that it turned out really well and was a very simple task. Picked up a vintage Mossant homburg in a vintage store in Durango CO for a decent price. The felt, sweat, liner and ribbon were all in very good shape but the hat just looked tired. It was a funny mouse grey with green undertones. The downside is that someone had given it a good dousing of Febreze....and I hate that smell. When I arrived home gave it a good brush, using corn starch and then again with talcum powder. It helped revitalize the felt and brought out a much more vibrant shade of a deeper grey but did nothing to rid the Febreze odour. Finally I relented and gave it a naptha bath. It is now probably closer to its original colour....a dark, very rich grey. There still is a bit of the Febreze odour but its faint. The hat almost sparkles and I am thrilled with the result. Why did I wait so long???

Greetings. I'm in the market for a new hat. For the last several years, I've been wearing a crushable wool hat from a company called "K-Hats", which seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. It's an outback-style hat with a 5" crown and a 3-1/2 to 4" brim (4 when measured from underneath, 3-1/2 when measured on top). If you have any recommendations on an online retailer I can check out, it would be greatly appreciated. The hat has become a bit of a signature for me, so I'd like to have as similar a style as possible. Thanks.

fm
Welcome to The Lounge Fard! I can only echo those who have suggested you look into getting yourself an Akubra hat. They're more expensive than crushable wool hats, but will last decades longer and are definitely worth the extra expense. Everything Australian and Hats Direct are trusted and reliable vendors who have quite a few return customers here (myself included), and they'll help you with any questions you might have that we can't answer.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to The Lounge Fard! I can only echo those who have suggested you look into getting yourself an Akubra hat. They're more expensive than crushable wool hats, but will last decades longer and are definitely worth the extra expense. Everything Australian and Hats Direct are trusted and reliable vendors who have quite a few return customers here (myself included), and they'll help you with any questions you might have that we can't answer.

Ditto , and Ditto ! And in addition to what Al said , compared to other brands , they not expensive at all for the quality you get . Really much less expensive , and they're Great Hats ! You'll love them !

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure, none of us know. It's probably a felted mix of natural and other (synthetic ?) fibres. I don't recall any TFL-posts explaining the precise content - and hours and days of searching in patents, trademarks and other registrations hasn't brought me closer to an answer. That goes for other trademarks like Pliafelt and Dynafelt as well.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Hey there everyone I need some advice. In the cooler months here in Maryland I wear predominantly three hats, Akubra Angler, Akubra Andventurer, and the Akubra Banjo Patterson. I have been wearing all three into today but am looking to get a straw hat for the summer. I love the look of the Akubra Capricorn but I'm afraid the brim might be too small. Im afraid to order one and have it come in and not like it on me. The straw that I have now is the Stetson Airway, it's a little too western looking for my taste. I stand 6'5 245 pounds and some of the smaller brims look just rediculous on me. Can you guys and gals give me some suggestions?
Thank you

RJR

Hat-PB Milan 2.jpg

Second the recommendation for the Peters Brothers hemp milans.Check their website(really outdated)and then I suggest calling and discussing what you want.I have three and love them.

RJR

Now that's unfair! It's just hip city-slicker style ... "Made from genuine upcycled code. No little furry bytes were harmed in the making of this site" :D
Actually Ole,I talked to the folks at Peters Brothers 2-3 years ago and made a comment about their website being a bit "difficult".I was told that they a friend in IT who was building them a new site.Over some months the old disappeared and portions of a new one appeared.Then things just stopped.The old is back in use but not very updated.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you don't want to go past $75.00 I suggest you take a look at Sunbody Hats. I got a three-inch brim straw for about $50.00 and wear it all the time. They're sturdy, nice-looking, come in sizes up to an 8, and you can shape them any way you like. Best thing about them, though, is that you don't have to worry about getting them wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic