Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
Excluding the brim edge for the moment would a 3.5-4" brim X 6" open crown take this much rake & depth? I'm guessing the rake is 2+"? Would the typical 6" open crown candidate have to be reflanged for the lean in the front? Would it take more than a 6" open crown?
I tried to see how close I could get with my campdraft with no success.
mj0rya.jpg

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A method I use to clean the cloth sweats on my good (I know some will consider the term "good" inappropriate for a ball cap!) ball caps is to turn the sweat out and using an old toothbrush or some other soft brush, a Woolite or other good quality detergent and warm water. This usually works to get out the residual sweat stains and freshen it up without the risk of shrinkage. I do have a hat jack that will insure that on my old 100% wool early New Era caps.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Excluding the brim edge for the moment would a 3.5-4" brim X 6" open crown take this much rake & depth? I'm guessing the rake is 2+"? Would the typical 6" open crown candidate have to be reflanged for the lean in the front? Would it take more than a 6" open crown?

mj0rya.jpg

I think a 6" Open Crown could do it , but THAT'S a HUGE Rake , maybe almost 6" , maybe 5"+ minimum on the Front , down to 3-3 1/2" max in the rear view , could be less . All that Hat Crown has to go somewhere , though it might be Taller Open Crown , but I doubt it . No ribbon makes it look taller , I think .

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

mj0rya.jpg

Yeah a 6" crown should be fine. You've got around 5" at the front & 3" at the back but you'll have less than an inch depth at the back because of the 'bubble' needed for head space....you can just see it in the photo.

Xylophile, thanks for letting me know you tried it with your CD.

I think a 6" Open Crown could do it , but THAT'S a HUGE Rake...

Yeah a 6" crown should be fine. You've got around 5" at the front & 3" at the back but you'll have less than an inch depth...

I'm still thinking the flange adds to the steepness of the rake. And I'm thinking the ribbon was probably removed on the movie hat just to give it a more weathered & worn look, but that a mid ribbon that doesn't contrast a lot in color with the hat would probably look good. If I could find a suitable candidate in a hat I will give it a try.

Pantera

New in Town
I'm doing a Resistol conversion. Where can I find quality inch-and-a-half grosgrain?
I've tried that plastic stuff, but it just doesn't 'drape' right.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm doing a Resistol conversion. Where can I find quality inch-and-a-half grosgrain?
I've tried that plastic stuff, but it just doesn't 'drape' right.

Its eBay or Etsy , but TimelessTreasures I think has it , I have or had it bookmarked or liked or something , they're in PA . They have a lot of Old Vintage Grosgrain .

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Does anyone have personal experience with the Stetson Premiere Whippet?

How does the felt quality differ from the "normal" Whippet?

How would you describe the "Natural" colour? Is it light grey with a whisky ribbon?

Blwinkl

New in Town
Could you recommend a proper hat for me?

I am bald, work at athletic events and sweat a ton (it's Texas). A fedora or ivy cap look the best with my head/face shape but sweat and nice fabric do not mix

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Peters Bros. in Fort Worth can make a Hemp of whatever style you like or suits you best . Fedora or Western CrossOver . www.pbhats.com , but there are others , too , and you might need a felt Hat , or two , also . Plus , if you look at Akubra , at Hats Direct , www.hatsdirect.com , or www.everythingaustralian.com.au (Everything Australian) , you'll find some solid made , nice Hats .

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
If you work outdoors in Texas, a straw western hat would be my choice for summer, maybe a felt western for the two weeks of winter.

As Michael say, Peters Brothers can get you sorted, or one of the many western stores.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I've looked and looked for an answer to this, but have failed to find an answer. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I've found someone who has hats from estates in 7 5/8 . I'm a 7 5/8 xlo. If I bought one (Ha! That's like the myth of "a beer") would it be feasible to reshape a non-xlo 7 5/8 to my noggin...or should I go up/down a size?

RJR

I've looked and looked for an answer to this, but have failed to find an answer. Sorry if this is a repeat.

I've found someone who has hats from estates in 7 5/8 . I'm a 7 5/8 xlo. If I bought one (Ha! That's like the myth of "a beer") would it be feasible to reshape a non-xlo 7 5/8 to my noggin...or should I go up/down a size?
The short answer is that you should be able to reshape a 7 5/8 to 7 5/8 XLO.7 5/8 is the overall circumference,XLO is the shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy