Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You are correct. The "crown" is the dome-like section of the hat that directly covers your head. The height of the un-shaped crown (commonly known as "open crown"), measured from the brim up, varies from style to style depending on how the crown will ultimately be shaped. It's quite simple, really--the taller the crown, the more material you have to work with to achieve the shape you want, or, in your case, to accommodate the wearer's head.

I never thought I had a particularly "tall" head myself, but once I started wearing hats regularly I learned rather quickly that I also need hats with higher/taller crowns.

Kings and Queens always have nice crowns....weeee doggies! Haha!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You've been so informative...much appreciated!

We aren't really sure when he purchased it, my husband is thinking he's had it at least 10 or 15 years. Ironically, out of all the hats his father had (he was a true Texas cowboy), Justin (my husband), rarely ever saw him wear this one and it ended up being the only one we inherited. It doesn't look very worn and was kept in a large hat box. The ribbon has what looks like a water spot but I would assume that should come off easily...
We are now trying to contact his dad's wife to see if she recalls when it was purchased...so we'll see what she says if she knows anything about it.
My pleasure wish I could have been more helpful.

photos of hat in question..
BM5shr.jpg
wY4XxB.jpg
I would be shocked if this was actually a hat from the 50s. IMO, this lid was from no earlier than the mid-to-late sixties, possibly later. Cute little lid!!

Sebastien Basset

New in Town
Hello all,

Wanted to know what the ideal fit is for a fedora (tightness, how it sits on the head, etc.) as well as the best way to accurately measure the head w/ a tape measure for good fit.

Thanks.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Gentleman,
I was curious about something. I have two Stetson whippets. My brown and my grey. The brown is late 50s as it has the plastic liner tip and the emblem in the crest is the maple leaf.
The grey is definitely late 40s with the stars in the crest and the tags. No plastic liner tip so if anything early 50s.
Well my brown one is softer. The grey one, a tad rougher to the hand. I had expected the opposite or at the least, similar hand.
So what would lend to these differences?
Curious is all. Love both of them.

Truegos

New in Town
Hello, this is my first post and I have been watching the lounge for a number of years now, but I decided to join in to see if possibly if an anyone could help me out with any info concerning this American Fedora I acquired a couple of years ago. Timeline of production, company info, quality. The quality is actually good concerning what I believe the manufacture date to possibly be. I like the way it fits and the felt is nice and sturdy, and you don’t see many brown color ribbons, and the fedora is a blue grey color. Thanks for any help
left.JPG
inside.JPG
size sticker.JPG
sweatband.JPG
inside bow.JPG
front.JPG

Hello all,

Wanted to know what the ideal fit is for a fedora (tightness, how it sits on the head, etc.) as well as the best way to accurately measure the head w/ a tape measure for good fit.

Thanks.
It's widely accepted that a hat or cap is too tight if it leaves a visible mark on your forehead when you remove it. Other than that, it's up to the wearer to determine his or her own levels of comfort and look/style/hattitude.

Here's my method for measuring. Wrap a cloth/tailor's tape around your head where you want the sweatband to rest when you wear the hat, then adjust it to be as loose or as tight as you want the hat to be while you're wearing it. In other words, place the measuring tape on your head as if it were the sweatband of the hat(s) you're planning to wear. Then, holding the "ends" tightly, remove it from your head and read the measurement. I'm not sure if this is the "proper" way to do it, but it has worked for me every time.

addison

One of the Regulars
So I ran into this hat at a local thrift store, I may try to go back and get a photo.
It's a Mallory "Aristocrat Quality". It's marked 7 1/4 and I usually wear 7 3/8, but it seems to fit me decently.
The store only wants $18 for it, and aside from being dusty it's in very nice shape. Black, 2 1/4 snap brim, leather sweat band is in good shape as is the satin liner.
Were these decent vintage hats?
Thanks for any info & God bless!

So I ran into this hat at a local thrift store, I may try to go back and get a photo.
It's a Mallory "Aristocrat Quality". It's marked 7 1/4 and I usually wear 7 3/8, but it seems to fit me decently.
The store only wants $18 for it, and aside from being dusty it's in very nice shape. Black, 2 1/4 snap brim, leather sweat band is in good shape as is the satin liner.
Were these decent vintage hats?
Thanks for any info & God bless!
It should fit me, I'll send you my address. Thanks for finding it for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic