Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
For wooden crown blocks how much bump in circumference is given to no sweatband? In other words: if you want to do casual reblock without sweat removal on a 7 1/8 hat do you use a 7 1/8 block or a 7 block or is the sweat vs no sweat equal to a half size between the two?

The sweatband decreases the hat by one size. If you are making a hat, and using a 7 1/4 block, it is the circumference of a 7 3/8 hat. After the sweatband is put in, it is then a 7 1/4. So, if you are blocking a 7 1/4 hat with the sweatband in, use a 7 1/8 block.

pedestrian

New in Town
I seriously doubt that would happen. If it did, you can bet you'd read about it in the reviews.

Thanks.
Most of the reviewers appeared to be working outdoors, or fishing: making a mess in the office, didn't seem to be a big concern for them. :)

When I did some research into oilskin, some forums seem to indicate riding-coats and such could stain car-seats in warmer weather. So I wasn't quite sure.

I thinkg I'll purchase a bush hat and give it a try.

pedestrian

New in Town
If I was going to fish on the Deshka river again, or go anywhere near water (especially a river or lake that feeds from swamp land), I'd take this Bug Bucket along as well as a good dual duty sun/rain hat.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/bug-bucket.html

That bug bucket would have been great when I was a kid. We lived at the edge of a small bog; and I begged my parents to let me get a bee-keeper hat, with the netting, for protection from the horse-flies.

Quick question, tried this on another thread but this might be the better venue. If a hat is turned inside out in a renovation is the nap of the felt on the top now reversed? So would you have to brush it clockwise? Thanks.

I saw your question yesterday, and wondered about that myself... I agree that following the nap according to the original "flow" seems correct. Perhaps one of our hatters could comment? @tonyb? @Art Fawcett?

I followed up with Mr. Fawcett. He says that we are right, (WooHOO!) that the top would be brushed clockwise and the bottom counterclockwise.

Last edited:

great white

Familiar Face
absolutely no way to know without seeing the inside

you can find a hat like it just about anywhere
Only pic I could get of the interior:

1A2E465B-D20C-4266-9053-EA1C959456EA_zpsmusqlwjo.jpg

Not sure if that helps any.

Anyone want to take another stab at identifying it?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Only pic I could get of the interior:

1A2E465B-D20C-4266-9053-EA1C959456EA_zpsmusqlwjo.jpg

Not sure if that helps any.

Anyone want to take another stab at identifying it?
almost looks to be one of those cheapy LiteFelt hats... or one of those chintzy Baileys hats
if I was a betting man I would bet it is

Last edited:

great white

Familiar Face
I do believe it is the Baileys one. I went back and watched the movie again and the hat band even has the buttons on the bow area like the baileys hat. I believe it's one they call "Gangster".

That's enough to turn me off right there.Also doesn't look as good on the web site pictures as it does int he movie. No trimmed brim, odd looking liner material, etc.

Stetson Saxon sounds like a much better option to me now to get one that looks like the movie hat in good quality.....:)

I just got/won my first Cavanagh off eBay a couple of minutes ago. Seems to be 80s timeframe by what I've researched. It was $15.50 plus $6.72 shipping. Not so sure about the blue band. May need to be changed. But I think I did ok. Did I?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavanagh-Saddle-Brown-Men-039-s-Fedora-Hat-Navy-Blue-Band-7-3-8-/152393010718?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=e8RYmXPbf7BalyWn4ylLSZ2Z%2BUc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I think so, snappy looking hat in great shape.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I just got/won my first Cavanagh off eBay a couple of minutes ago. Seems to be 80s timeframe by what I've researched. It was $15.50 plus $6.72 shipping. Not so sure about the blue band. May need to be changed. But I think I did ok. Did I?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavanagh-Saddle-Brown-Men-039-s-Fedora-Hat-Navy-Blue-Band-7-3-8-/152393010718?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=e8RYmXPbf7BalyWn4ylLSZ2Z%2BUc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Think you did very well for yerself. Like the color.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cavanagh-Sa...f7BalyWn4ylLSZ2Z%2BUc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I think a tad earlier by the paper tag. 70s probably. I like the blue on brown combo.

Apparently, Damschroder's was a big deal in Toledo.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Deaths/2008/05/16/Men-s-clothier-was-huge-UT-community-servant.html

The remaining store mentioned in the article from 2008 seems to have since folded.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff